-
AuthorContent
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9546157

Please join us for tropical plants and gardens full of wondrous color.
We came from here ; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310372/

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9546163

Colocasia Illustris with Mosaic Virus above. (wish it was a sport)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9546189

Drew, that is the prettiest results of disease I've ever seen!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9546366

Thanks Kay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9547585

Nah! He's been out there with the magic markers - we've told you about drawing on the leaves, Drew!

I'm with Kay, very pretty even if it is sick.

I've got Rita's lovely Rainbow Costus getting ready to bloom, speaking of colored leaves . . .

What's become of Rita, anybody know?? She went to Belize and never returned?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9547660

I dmailed Rita about a week ago, but she didn't respond, so I hope someone knows if all is o.k. with her.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9550454

Everything is growing visibly after nearly 4in. of rain here yesterday. Despite numerous tornadoes, we're still thankful for all that wonderful rain.
- dwarf poinciana aka Pride of Barbados, I guess it needs a little pruning huh? Wonder if I can root those sticks??
- closeup of the flowers, the stamens usually sweep upwards gracefully, but they took a beating from the rain
- double hib on a big old scraggly bush outside the fence, never gets any tlc, poor thing.
- Passiflora coccinea rambles around all over the back 40
- white Brazilian plume looking for a home, it doesn't like my high pH well water, gets all fussy and chlorotic . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 7, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9550534

Elaine,
You can send it to me or maybe just a cutting! I love it! I have the purple one but have never seen the white one.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9550633

Beautiful blooms and foilage.. I took some pictures before I left for AR, now I am back, does anyone know what this is?
carribia is really putting on a show this year.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9550803

Orchid Vine, Butterfly Vine, Fairy Vine, Camels Foot

Botanically: Bauhinia corymbosa

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/75024/#ixzz2VcxjviK0

That is beautiful, Deb - now, I want one!!!! Did you start this from seeds?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9551410

I've got that plume where it gets watered with the cistern water (in the veggie garden) right now. The leaves have gone back to nice dark green. Once it's big enough, I'll send you a cutting, Paula. Probably in the fall. Maybe you'll have more of your private nursery planted out by then . . .. (just razzin ya)

Deb, that is a kick-a$$ rose! I can't get over how the other flower looks so much like my C.pulch in shape. But it's on a vine, right?
- Achimenes starting to bloom, the red ones have been dug up by the squirrels, so are somewhat behind but I have a thousand purple ones.
- Alocasia 'Stingray' shading Begonia 'Don Miller'. I'm kind of disappointed that the leaves of the Stingray are so scrunched, but apparently that's what it does.
- red re-blooming daylilies are already on their second go round.
- Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' is loving all this rain. It's been pouring again this afternoon. I plunked its pot under a downspout, and it took off!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9551443

Elaine, how are you getting rain?!!! We are in a sucking drought up here!!!
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9551453

Those are some lovely plants, ladies. I really like that Poinciana... Looks like a crazy red version of the pink mimosas you see growing around here.

Well, I've just about got all the plants situated and planted at my house, and I know I've been saying about posting pics when I get it done, and this time I mean it. I'll be taking some pics tomorrow and posting them here.

Anyways, that mystery arum that I mentioned last fall when I got this house has returned, and it looks like there is another one near it. The leaves are not completely unfurled, but I'd SWEAR that they were Zantedeschias of some kind... The leaf proportions and shapes (on the few that have unfurled thus far) and markings look exactly like a typical Zantedeschia (Calla Lily)... The catch is that Zantedeschia SHOULD NOT BE HARDY in Zone 6b, yet these have survived at least 2 winters outside here with no protection.

One theory I have is that these are Zantedeschia aethiopica 'White Giant' or one of the other Zantedeschias that are hardy to zone 7a and either (a) this one is in a favorable microclimate (they are on the southwest corner of the house, but fairly close to the foundation), or (b) some mutant variety that is actually hardy to Zone 6b... I don't know if any of you are Zantedeschia (or other Calla lily) experts, but I'll be posting pics once the leaves are fully unfurled.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2013

Post #9551596

evening ya all, that flower ( there are about 8 plants different colors of blooms) are mnore a small bushy plant with upright stems with the flowers, and the leaves are more pointy..
our state bird..meadowlark, a young one..
climbing mauve rose Angel Face or my angel face, something like that
houtunia
caladiums
yes KayJones, those cute plants were started from seeds.. just can't find them in my stash, wonder if they from you?
I planted some dwarf poinciana aka Pride of Barbados
from you elaine, and some sesbaunia from KayJOnes and a ton of other seeds got started.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9551597

I've got a big clump of Callas, so let's see your pictures! We don't care if it's "done", a garden is never done! This thread is dying for lack of pictures, folks!

Kay, we got thrown under the train of a huge rain band from TS Andrea on Thursday morning. My 4in. rain gauge overflowed, so we got more than 4 inches just in about 3 hours plus about 8 tornadoes. Then there were a few more spritzes since then, and another inch or so today. How could it all have missed you??

Did I show off my gorgeous begonia that Mj gave me last fall? It's been languishing in a little pot until just over a month ago, when I put it in a nice big pot, and it has exploded to 4x the size it was, plus blooms!

Begonia 'Maurice Amy'

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9551612

those begonias are awsome, Don Miller from Alice is really growing, He is in ground out back facing east, under the vine canopy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9551648

here is a few shots of the mystery plant..
elaines caladium she sent me
my konjac voodoo

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2013
10:39 PM

Post #9551671

Lovely rose, Deb!

That reminds me, I do have a few pics to share, courtesy of my wife. I don't know if I mentioned this, but there are two HUGE old-fashioned rose bushes on my property at the edge of the wooded section, and they have started blooming, with beautiful peach-colored roses of the classic rose shape and with heavy, sweet perfume. The first pic is of the bush itself, but that doesn't really do it justice: The bush is at least 10' high and some of the 'canes' are about 3" in diameter. Second pic is of some of the fully open roses my wife picked and placed in a "vase" (actually a small Coca-Cola glass) inside our house.

Final pic is of our two cats, Samwise and Watson enjoying the new cat tree we got them at Petco last week (Sam's the one on top and Watson is in the tube).

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9551680

beautiful! I love roses.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9551976

Everyone's plants look wonderful. Isn't it nice to find such a lovely old rose. I hope you find lots more treasures.

Andrea, the practice hurricane, was kind enough to leave us with 5" of rain in two days. Perfect, we needed it badly.

Interesting phil in a hanging basket seen on a garden tour recently.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9552087

We just received 2" of rain this morning - THANK GOD!

Deb, when time permits, please try to start a cutting of that beautiful mystery plant for me.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9552168

Looks like a Monstera obliqua Alice. Everyones plants are going crazy!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9552680

That is a beautiful hole-y leaf philo, there Alice. Speaking of monsteras, how are the giants coming along, Drew?

I can't thank TS Andrea quite so much, we got over 4in. of rain in about 3 hours on Thursday as she went by. The various showers and spritzes since then have been nice to keep it cool, though.

- Philo. Gloriosum experiment is showing results, the one in the pot looks beautiful, and the one beside it but in the ground is really struggling. Guess I'll rescue it and give it a pot to protect it from marauding oak tree roots . ..
- start of Clerodendron 'Pagoda' from floridabunnie is growing like gangbusters and putting up its first little 'pagoda'.
- Deb, your Caladium 'Scarlet O'Hara' is a lot prettier than mine. I've got mint green leaves and shocking pink middles, looks like a cartoon plant to me.Hope they tone down a bit, and look more like yours.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9552842

Looks good to me Elaine? Maybe a little more Fertilzer for the ground one? Everything is coming along here. Finally 3 weeks of warmth... But if this rain 5.5'' + (in 4 days) continues like it has, I will have a bunch of drowned Tropical Plants. I'll get some photos out soon. Promise!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9553127

Thanks for the ID on the philodendron Drew, I'll pass the info on to the homeowner.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9553872

If you would like to be Technical about it (or not), it's a Monstera in lieu of a Philodendron.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9554046

LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9554701

I'm getting a headache from the Tech-speak!

Variegated spiral ginger is blooming. Oops, a few crawlies on that second one, got to get out there with the soapy water.

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9555392

Lovely looking ginger you got there, Elaine! I really like gingers, particularly varigated ones. (one of the reasons I got Z. mioga 'Dancing Crane' and 'Silver Arrow' instead of just plain old Z. mioga). Do the flowers have a kind of sweet gingery scent like most gingers I've seen blooming before?

Anyways, I know I'm a bit late on this, but it was pouring rain two days solid around here, and the sun finally came out, so I now have my promised pics.

First pic is one of the Musa xishongbananensis "Mekong Giant" hardy bananas that I got from Plant Delights about two weeks ago. It's been loving the rain.

Second pic is some of my hardy trunk-forming yuccas. The closest one in the foreground is some unknown hybrid that I bought from Brian Williams (or his dad, more specifically) in 2009 that he got from some guy in Italy. It appears to be a cross between Y. filamentosa and Y. aloifolia, but it's dead hardy and will get a cluster of trunks up to about 6' high. The middle one is Yucca recurvifolia (or Y. gloriosa var. recurvifolia, depending on who you ask) and is the one I got in Chincoteauge last summer. It was doing pretty bad after spending all winter in its root-bound nursery pot in my garage for most of the winter, but since I planted it outside in late March it's been doing fairly well. The furthest one away is Y. gloriosa "Lone Star" which I got at a different nursery near Chincoteague last year, and it spent the winter and all of last summer in the same conditions that the Y. recurvifolia did and was planted out at the same time. As you can see, it seems to be hardier (or at least more robust) than the Y. recurvifolia.

Third pic is my one WIndmill palm that has survived outside with no protection since I planted it in September of 2007 (after purchasing it from Brian Williams, the guy who introduced the "Mekong Giant" hardy banana to the US). The reason it is so small is because where it was planted had almost full shade all day long, yet it survived and perservered where all my other windmill palms died off. Not that I've moved it to a spot with more sun, it's already starting to grow noticeably faster (it's already pushed out as many leaves since I moved it at the end of April as it did in an entire year when I had it planted under horrible growing conditions).

Second to last pic is one of my Poncirus Trifoliata (Hardy Orange), one of my three Sabal Minor (I've had FAR more success with S. minor than other hardy palms, only losing one of the original 4 in the past 6 years I've been growing them outside here without protection). Again it's kinda stunted due to the fact that where I planted it, while initially an open clearing, had the tree canopy close over it during the past 6 years, resulting in it being stuck in almost full shade. The plant on the farthest right is one of my earliest experiments in unusual plants for this area, a Fargesia nitida (Blue Fountain Bamboo) clump that I bought in 2005 from a local nursery. It has about doubled in size since then, but again, where I had it planted before was a bit shadier than it would have liked (now it gets part shade, which is ideal rather than light/full shade it got before).

Final picture has one of my Rhodea Japonica plants that is blooming, as well as the mystery arum. From what I can see of the leaves, I'd SWEAR it was a Calla Lily, but as I said before, they SHOULDN'T be hardy in this area... Maybe I have some extra-hardy sport, or possibly it's planted close enough to the foundation for the soil temp to be high enough for it to survive, but in any case it's survived two winters outside with no protection... I'd like to see about dividing it at some point and planting the divisions at different places around my property and see if they survive next winter... If they do, then I might see if any of the local nurseries would be interested in propogating it...

Of course I could be wrong in my identification, so perhaps some of you experts could help me out?

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9555632

Very nice, you're going to have a really interesting garden pretty soon! Sounds like an oxymoron, but you're growing a garden of "hardy tropicals" there, I'd swear.

On the Arum/Calla in the last pic, I'd wait until it blooms. Could be Arum Italicum, or another but you're right those leaves sure do look like Callas. (although maybe the spots are a bit too big?)

Those spiral gingers of mine don't seem to have any fragrance. I've got hedychiums galore coming along that will make up for it, though. Another few weeks for those to bloom.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9555756

Well, that's the general idea. ;-) I also want to get some of the more interesting native plants growing as well, including Arundinaria gigantea, Pawpaw (have one of each) and such. I'd also like to get a hold of some native roses (Rosa carolina and Rosa virginia). The Carolina, or Meadow Rose used to grow all over the place around here, along just about any road out in the country, but between the State spraying and mowing everything within 6 ft of the road side and the farmers spraying and plowing everything further out than that, they have all but disappeared... I also knew were there were quite a few Virgina Roses growing in an abandoned rock quarry, but high demand for road construction gravel caused the owner to reopen it, and the place where the roses were growing has been strip mined for limestone. }:-( If I'd have known they were going to do that, I'd have snuck in and dug them up and at least TRIED to get them to grow at my parents' house. There are still some Meadow roses growing in the corner of my grandma's property, but I don't want to dig them up, so I'm going to see if Plant Scout has any mail order outfit selling bushes of either R. carolina or R. virgina...

Anyways, here's one more pic that I took today of my largest Dwarf Palmetto (those who live in Florida are probably wondering why I'm planting "weeds") and another Yucca recurvifolia. This particular plant was purchased and planted in 2006, and has survived outside every winter since then. It was going into a decline due to where it was planted getting overgrown by the tree canopies, so I dug it up (along with the mystery hybrid yucca) in 2011, since I was hoping to move that year. That didn't happen, and both these yuccas spent the entire winter of 2011 outside in 3 gallon nursery pots with absolutely no protection whatsoever and suffered no leaf damage (the previous three years they all but died back to the ground and/or were eaten by rabbits, which was part of the reason they were going into decline), which would indicate that insufficient sunlight was weakening them against the cold winter temperatures as opposed to a lack of innate hardiness. Again, when I planted this thing in the ground, it has been steadily growing and has a 3" trunk already...

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9556033

Very nice everyone, I could almost smell the beautiful roses

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9556144

You'll be dizzy when you mow around all those individuals, Ben. I'd have cleared one big bed for all of them, but then, I'm notoriously lazy and I have no grass.

They'll be nicely displayed specimen plants, for sure. Pretty lake - are you allowed to use lake water for irrigation?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9556363

Elaine, I believe that is a road. Yellow lines across the top.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9556476

Yeah, it's the road in front of the house, but with all the rain we've been getting lately, it's well on its way into BECOMMING a lake...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9556754

Oh yeah. I just saw the "waves" and the foamy line at the edge . . .
- one more agapanthus
- the pool corner, variegated ginger in the big urn, Achimenes in there, too, Spathoglottis in front of that.
- a little tillandsia ball, blooming

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9556814

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can appreciate someone who can laugh at themselves. Lord knows I do it all the time Elaine!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 11:29 AM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9558010

Standard practice around here, too Drew. It's a life skill everyone needs, right?
- Ric rac cactus from a cutting Mj traded me last fall is rambling all over now!
- Tiny Jewel alocasia doing great, too. It has a wierd little bud-like thing on the top of the soil, any ideas what this is? It's not a flower, we've already done that.

Sorry, lousy pictures, the light was really low with a nearby thunderstorm.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9558248

Looks like a little Cormel Elaine. Very nice!

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/137729/cormel

Sustained some damage through here today...Trees down w/ leaves and branches everywhere! Went from 94 to 70 in 30 minutes!

This message was edited Jun 13, 2013 9:17 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9558293

Yay, I do love it when my plants propagate themselves.

That was a dramatic lineup of storms that went through there, Drew. Hope all your giants are ok. 70 sounds like a delicious temperature to me, nice if you have to be outside cleaning up. After Andrea left a mess here last week, my garden helper - a nice fellow and hard worker but with a little drinking problem . . did not show up and I was putzing around sweating myself into a puddle trying to just clear the walkways.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 14, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9558470

Wow, Drew, I hope all is well and no damage. Those afternoon storms can be bad! We've had so much rain lately our pond is at its max.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9560028

A few more gingers showing up this week, after all the rain.
- Curcuma white
- the little divas, Kaemferia aka peacock ginger
- the Alpinias are nearly over, showing their little yellow faces
- I'd be more pleased with this heliconia if he would stay in the flower bed!
- never seen so many Lobster Claws, again giving credit to the rain!

We can't send flowers, but we can post them to keep Deb's spirits up here. C'mon folks, wander out to the garden with the cameras!!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9560063

Deb isn't doing so good right now - pray for her and the whole family, please.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9560102

Sorry to hear Deb is having a rough time, I am sure this weird weather they are having does not help. Keeping her in my T & P.

Pinstripe ginger is doing well for me this year.
Individual flowers, have I read somwhere that they are edible?????
Wouldn't this hydrangea have looked pretty if Bambi had not munched on the other 16 buds? Grrrrrrr
Orestachys boehmeri flower buds - oddly interesting.
What's up with this lotus? The flowers are browning off before they fully open. Big disappointment.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9561420

Shame about your lotus, Alice. I can't imagine why they would do that. Did you taste one of your ginger flowers?

I have some unwelcome visitors that have come back on my Begonia odorata alba. Spiralling white fly. They rub off easily, and are treated with soapy water quite successfully. The plant doesn't seem to be set back hardly at all, and this is the second go round for this pest.

Heliconias are happier now that we got some rain.

'Easy Does It' roses are blooming up a storm, too. I fertilized everything at the end of May, then we got 4in of rain, plants all took off!

Shooting Star hydrangea still looks good, but the powdery mildew will start soon.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9564075

Caladium 'Scarlet O'Hara' is finally putting on some more demure colors.

Some nice White Geiger flowers down low enough so I can get pictures today.

Paula's Begonia 'Chocolate Bonfire' is very thin and wispy, but it is blooming!

Caladium 'Gingerland' brightening up a shady corner.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9564102

Elaine, that Geiger tree's flowers are just beautiful!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 19, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9564730

Elaine,
Mine are the same way. I have pinched them repeatedly, but so far they are not getting bushy. Must be the type.

I'm going to try this again...posted these on the wrong forum earlier.

1 - colocasia gigantea - I think (found in a ditch in someones trash pile)
2 - calidora (I think)
3 forgot
4 - white lava
5 stingray

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 19, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9564731

and last, but certainly not least
mayan mask

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9564898

Elaine, the 'forgot' looks like A. teacup. Deb gave me one last year and it looks like mine.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9564916

Paula, I have a plan for that little begonia. I'm going to snip back the long stems to halfway, and 'stick' the cuttings in the same pot until the pot gets fuller. Maybe that's how they get those pretty hanging baskets to look as gorgeous as they do.

Mm, I'm not sure on the teacup, Kay. My teacups (from Alice) have dark stems, and thinner leaves that are more cupped.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9564971

That one was sold to us as Teacup, several friends bought them at the same time from a reputable grower, but you never know with labeling anymore. I was sent 3 grafted tomatoes to trial for the breeder and so far 2 of the 3 have been mislabeled. You would think if someone goes to the trouble to graft a tomato, that can't be easy, they would at least keep the labels straight.

Love that Mayan Mask. If I wasn't still on my plant fast I would have to have that one. :-)
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9565129

1. Xanthosoma Something or other...

3. A. longiloba

4. C. Nancyana aka, 'Nancy's Revenge'.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9565291

Drew, that C. 'White Lava' is likely a sport of 'Nancy's Revenge' that is being widely sold at the big box stores, according to LariAnn.

(I been lured to the dark side, Aroids forum on ATP)
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9565301

Oh.. I'm sorry Paula! Wish we could get some here at our box stores... Charlotte has nada for Tropicals. It's pathetic;...
Kinda like not having a Jazz Station!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9565434

Drew, have you tried Blackhawk Hardware on Woodlawn (I think) I've never been there myself but I have been told they have a 2 story atrium with a good selection of large tropicals. Of course, you are pretty sophisticated and have higher than normal aroid expectations. :-)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9565487

My 'wild' cannas have started blooming. They are randomly popping up all over the back garden this year.

Mangoes are ripe, and I have finally figured out how to beat the squirrels to them. Have to police under the tree first thing in the morning, before they get to the ones that have dropped. I am winning! That is, I've eaten more mangoes than they have so far.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9565527

Will check it out Alice! ...I HATE going into Charlotte, however, I will drag myself down there to see what they have and report back if I don't have it!

Storm damage from last Friday night!

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9565539

How the heck is everyone getting rain but ME?!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9566279

I hear 'ya Drew, I would avoid Charlotte too. I am heading to Asheville tomorrow for the weekend and at this time of year the traffic there is bad too. I am spoiled, down here 3 cars at a stop light would be a traffic jam. LOL

Love that wild canna Elaine, are they tall? I have some C. indica that stay under 2' which is nice.

Vera Purple bougy is blooming again.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9566616

I have some of those short cannas too, Alice. They are wonderful. But that orange one is 4 to 5ft. tall and kind of lanky. It was supposed to be 'Stuttgart' which is the canna with the beautiful white/green variegated foliage. But I bought them twice, from different vendors and never got a single swipe of variegation on them. They have nice smooth green leaves with a sheen of blue, and the delicate soft orange flowers, so I tolerate them wandering where they will in the garden all summer.

I'm with you on the rain thing, Kay. Since TS Andrea went by we've had hardly a spritz of rain. Hearing thunder all the time, but the storms all roll away from us.
- Achimenes are blooming away hiding under the variegated spiral ginger
- which is blooming away like crazy
- anybody know if 'Hilo Beauty' is an Alocasia, Colocasia, or a Caladium? I've heard it called all three by different people and catalogs.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9566659

Elaine, the University of Oklahoma botany department has gone with Caladium praetermissum 'Hilo Beauty', but it's not etched in stone.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9569164

Good to know, Kay. Thanks. I really think it acts like a Caladium, and the leaf shape, texture and plant shape look more like Caladium to me, too.
- Thunbergia just keeps on blooming
- another spiral ginger with funny little striped flowers
- Begonia Sophie Cecile has the most amazing jagged leaves.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9569186

That is a neat-looking Ginger!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 23, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9569744

No rain here either!! Getting tired of watering!
Elaine do you have your Costus in full sun? When I got mine from the East Coast, they said full sun was okay--growing but some brown leaves. Trying to water lots--in this heat though everything looks wilty.
My lobster claws-like yours-seem to be on steroids! Even the ones that didn't look so good at the beginning of spring look wonderful and are blooming!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9569935

Hi Debi, nice to 'see' you back. No, my costus are all in shifting shade under the oak trees. Pretty bright shade, with peeks of sun, but no full sun except that one above gets a bit very late, like 6-ish. They do love water, for sure. That being said, they don't bloom if the shade gets too deep, either.

I think the Lobster Claws got a big boost last year from all the rain from TS Debbie, and now a big flush from TS Andrea, too. We try to take credit, but Ma Nature provides . .

We have some encouraging clouds out there now, and at least the storms are moving towards our side, instead of away today. Need a good soaking rain, for sure!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9570307

I just received a call from Deb - her dear Sister, Sherry, passed away about 45 minutes ago - she wants you to know how much she appreciates all your prayers and good thoughts during this very difficult time. She sends her love to each of you.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9570318

Here is a picture of Sherry and Deb, taken while on vacation to the beach, 2012:

Thumbnail by KayJones

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 24, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9570749

Aww, Kay, believe it or not, that's the first thing I thought of was her when I sat down at the computer just now and I was going to dmail you to see if you had heard from her. I'm so sorry...I know her heart is breaking. Sending prayers her way.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9570874

Me too, Paula. Have been both dreading and hoping to hear.

(((HUGS))) for Debra, and thank goodness the suffering is over for Sherry. Hope Deb gets out into her garden, nothing better to help the healing begin.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9570890

Amen!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9571033

When things have settled a bit for Deb, I've invited her to come and visit me again - for as long as she wants - the ocean is very calming and Sherry LOVED it!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 24, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9571398

Elaine-- Thanks! I checked back to my purchase of the costus barbadoes and Jesse did say full sun! The roots are shaded from the worst of the afternoon sun so maybe that will help.
If we would just get some rain!!!!! Everywhere on Marco but here!!!! Blowing a bit now and very dark--we shall keep our fingers crossed.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9571434

Hmm, is this the one you have? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2147/ It does say 'full sun' so I am amazed.

Yup, we got lucky yesterday, and got in the way of a couple of good downpours. Not only does the water help the plant, the clouds in the afternoon cool it down and give them a break, too. People as well . . Oh for the 'summer pattern' to get set up again.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2013 4:07 PM

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 24, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9571515

Yes!!! It is sending up new shoots like mad!! It does get a sprinkle from the irrigation, but I water it a lot. Ridiculous to have an irrigation system and still have sprinklers! Am going to rearrange some tomorrow.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9572781

I took a walk around today and there is lots blooming.

All my dinnerplate hibs are blooming

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9572788

and the echinecia...this is my first time with them

There's Hot papaya, gone crazy, purple prarieflower,white swan, several others

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9572799

and more

rudbeckia and rose of sharon

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9572800

agapanthus

first is "Queen Mum"

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9572816

hit the wrong button

dark purple are my favorite

#3 red crinum

#4 &5 daylilies

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9572828

My ensete banana is really growing

Brug about to open

justicia is blooming away

pretoria is blooming but I can't keep the worms off of it!!

Clerodendron beginning to bloom

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9572832

one more and then I'll post the others later

Begonias...

This is my absolute favorite...I think its orange rubra but not sure. the color is beautiful!!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9572909

Here's one of my Musa ENSETE VENTRICOSUM MAURELLI - it's well over 10 feet tall and growing fast:

Thumbnail by KayJones

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9573612

Kay, that is one gorgeous banana!

Paula, your garden must be a riot of color now. Everything looks good.

The color is off on this echinacea picture, guess it was too bright when I took the photo but it is actually fire engine red. The name is Salsa something or other and the best part is that it came back from last year. They can be tricky here, you never know if they will make it or not. I don't think they like salt.

Thumbnail by ardesia

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 26, 2013
3:53 AM

Post #9573618

Here's some other things...

caladiums
#2&3 are fancy ones, but I don't know their name. This is the third year they have come back

Bromeliad bloom

more caladiums

flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9574116

A few of my beauties...

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9574979

The banana is gorgeous, Kay so glossy, healthy and happy. Those echinaceas are ablaze, Alice.

Pretty caladiums, Paula. I have that one in the middle picture, we think it might be 'White Queen'. The begonias above that are wonderful, too. That orange, wow!

Welcome, flowerjunkie! I love the shot of your pinstripe gingers against that brick wall, so beautiful. Texture on the leaves in the last picture is amazing, too.

We've had a lot of rain and wind the last few days, and I've been busy tidying up and weeding the garden. Hope it will be picture-worthy by tomorrow.
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9575366

Dizzypyxxy.

Photo of plants left to right are is of Kalanchoe Thysiflora Variegata, Zingiber Yu Hwa, Ligularia Lunar Landing and Curcuma Giant Plume. Glad to share photos...will come back with more as soon...

You are so lucky to have Heliconias blooming in your yard!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9579045

Hey, anybody home?
- pale mauve Spathoglottis putting out some new blooms
- Achimenes are usually sort of demure, hiding in the foliage but not lately!
- colors on my variegated Ti are rocking, now that the shade plants over them have leafed out again
- Thai caladium 'The Pearl' is messing around with 'Black Thai' in the same pot and making . .
- really neat looking 'stained glass effect' leaves

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9579173

Hello, I'm new to this thread but have to say you guy are making me so jealous! Love Love all your plants.

I just move to Texas in Feb and I'm trying to turn this new yard into a tropical jungle.. (Well with one spot for some desert plants).

I love all your pictures. And it gives me great Ideas for my yard.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9579253

Jokenna, welcome to DG and our forum of tropical plant folks!

I would venture to say you probably won't get any landscaping ideas from any of our yards - we grow a mishmash of plants, in no particular genre or order. We just fit what we like wherever we can, because we are all tropical plant addicts. It's a horrid disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone. If you are OCD in any measure, don't follow our plans - none of us have one! LOL

Do show us pictures of your plants!!!!

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9579490

Oh I will fit right in. No method to my madness...Just ask my DH. I'm just finding that I have a huge yard here and little to fill it. When I lived in OR I had no yard everything was in pots at one time I had 99 pots outside and 49 inside...lol I tried to bring them all with me, but my DH would not rent a uhaul just for plants..I just don't get him. We pulled our Toyota pickup with a camper shell on the back... Yup I packed the darn thing with every pot I could get into it...lol

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 30, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9579742

Well, I guess you will fit in then LOL! Welcome...I just moved also last year, and I dug up every plant I could (excluding shrubs) and brought to the new house.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9580001

everyones plants are gorgeous as usual.. wish I could show you some things, but really not ready to go out and play yet. I brought home my sisters dog, Sadie, and we need to establish some house and yard rules if I am to stay married for much longer..
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9580031

Take your time Deb! We'll see you then...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9580170

Deb, I'm glad you brought Sadie home with you - Sherry would have liked that.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9580176

{{{Hugs}}} to you Deb and to Sadie too.

Broms are starting to show off.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 1, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9582143

Look what I found at Walmart of all places...$12.

Varigated desert rose

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9582198

I'm calling "FOUL"!!!!! It's just NOT FAIR! LOL! Congrats - it's gorgeous!!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 1, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9582500

LOL.. believe me, I looked the place over for other ones, but that was the only one. There were 3 regular ones. I can;t wait to see what color it will be.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9586802

Happy Fourth everyone!

I found two surprises today. The first is a small lily like pink flower. It must be in the amaryllis family but this flower is only about 3" across. The strap like leaves are narrow. I used to be so good with my plant inventory then it got away from me.

The other surprise (more like shock) is a flower bud on my Musa Sweetheart, it has not started to open yet. I also found a flag leaf on another stalk on the same plant. It seems appropriate that I found a "flag" leaf today. I am doubtful that fruit set this late in the summer will mature before cold weather sets in but I have been waiting years to see any edible fruit at all. My non edible musas fruit all the time - go figure.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2013 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9586870

Might be a rain lily, Alice. I have lots of them, but I went out to try for a picture and they've all gone to seed at the moment. Zephyranthes, I think.

New begonias with some crazy leaves - 4in pots with a lot of plants in them. I divided the right hand one yesterday and got 11 starts from one pot! Cool rainy weather is helping them get rooted.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9587319

I think you are correct on the Zephranthes ID, I do remember getting Z seeds at a propagation workshop at PDN.
That was at least 2 years ago and I had forgotten about them.

Your begonias are looking good. This cool wet weather has been great for growing everything, especially weeds.

Even though I have a little pond, I rarely see dragon flies around here. This guy was must have been blown off course somehow.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9587922

dyzzypyxxy Love your begonias. And what a lovely dragon fly!.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9588562

Hey guys! Hope you all had an enjoyable 4th!

Well, the Mystery Arum (tm) finally decided to bloom, and it's not so mysterious anymore: They are two different types of Calla lilies, one pink and the other one yellow... Still don't know how they managed to survive two winters around here... I'm at least half a zone out of range for the most hardy varieties...

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9588630

They are lovely!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9588782

Getting enough rain, Kay? We had another nearly 2in. yesterday!

I have a big NOID cattleya in bloom, and it's right outside my patio door (first pic) so I can see it all the time. It's also under the roof overhang so it's not getting drowned!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9588889

I LOVE rain, so it's ok with me!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9589025

Phew, hot and sunny today, and this is the first afternoon we haven't been seeing any thunder clouds looming by this time in the afternoon. I had a swim, now am taking refuge at the computer.
- Peacock ginger, first pic I've had that shows the flower color properly
- Heliconia 'Lady Di' loves all the water.
- same Heli, this one had a dark royal blue shiny seed pod, never seen them make seeds before!
- Gloriosas starting their second flush of bloom
- Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' has small leaves this year because there are about a dozen plants in that one pot.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 6, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9589641

Hikaro_ Takayama, Zantedeschia aethiopica plants are cold hardy in your zone of 6B. I grew them in that zone for years with out any Winter protection;)
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9589683

Rachel: Really? I was thinking they might be varieties of Z. aethiopica, but everything I've seen, including Plant Files and Plant Delights Nursery's listings for the ones they sell says they're only hardy to 7a, at most...

I'll take your word for it, though. I always liked Calla Lilies, but never bothered with them, because I don't like growing plants that I have to dig up and store every winter.

Nice Gingers and Heliconias, Dyzzypyxxy! My hardy gingers have been growing well, needing only occasional watering, even with as hot as its been lately. Unfortunately, when mowing the yard Thursday, I accidentally rand over one of my Z mioga "Dancing Crane" plants... Thankfully it had another small shoot coming up, so it should recover, but it still ticks me off... I need to see about just breaking down and ordering half a ton of mulch from the local garden center and just mulch all the flower beds, so I don't have to weed or mow them.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9589965

Sounds like a plan! You can never have too much mulch, jmho! It looks good, keeps the soil cool and moist, supresses weeds and breaks down to enrich as well, where's the down side? Shoveling it into place, I guess.

Pictures man! We need pictures - that's what keeps these threads interesting. What are your hardy gingers? Mine want as much water as I can give them.
- Hedychium 'Dr. Moy' is my favorite garden plant, lovely scent, pretty flowers, fabulous foliage, blooms non-stop from now until cold weather.
- they do have quite a few stink bugs on them right now though. Have to investigate that.
- wild petunias growing along our back driveway
- volunteer salvia 'Coral Nymph' seeds itself generously

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9590356

Now if only that mulch would keep the weeds down in this climate. I think I could put 2 1/2 tons down and the weeds would still love it. Especially those wild petunias you have Elaine, they are Ruellia caroliniana, a sweet but prolific little native, they self sow everywhere, especially in nice clean mulch. aggghhhhh

I think this amaryllis seed head looks like ET

This message was edited Jul 8, 2013 5:45 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9590543

Alice, you spoke a mouthful there re the mulch - doesn't work for us. I use 6-8 mil clear plastic and carpeting - keeps the weeds at bay for me.

Yes, it does look like E.T.!!!
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9593088

New blooms I happened to catch after last night thunderstorms...

In order: Variegated Poke Weed, variegated ruella, some hard to kill begonia growing in my flower bed, mini blooming Dutchman pipe vine.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2013 2:08 PM
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9593092

Opps something happened, photos didn't attach

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   Thumbnail by flowerjunkie   

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9593119

My first edible bananas ever, Musa 'Sweetheart'. This is exciting, I understand these will take 4 months to mature. A new "hand" of fruit should develop each day for week or two. Banana splits, bananas foster, banana bread banana pudding, etc...

Thumbnail by ardesia

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 12, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9596551

Hikaro_Takayama-- are you near any of the mushroom farms in PA? Great mulch is available from them.
My landscaper gets me a load of horse manure from one of the local stables every so often--that's wonderful also.
Debi

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9597572

Lol, re the manure - just make sure it's well composted before you put it around your plants! My dad - frugal Scot that he was - got a 'deal' on a truckload of too-fresh manure from somebody who even delivered it for him. He was a doctor, and people used to offer him stuff like that. They dumped it in the front driveway where it smelled rather badly. My mother was fit to be tied. Dad gleefully shoveled and wheelbarrowed it to his rose garden where it burned the you-know-what out of his whole rose bed. Took several rainy days for the smell and all that nitrogen to wash away. I think he had to replace most of his rose bushes that year, too.

Couple of gingers blooming today Hedychium Greenii with red flowers, and the variegated spiral ginger with funny little funnels. The foliage on that one is the real star of the show.

C'mon folks!! This thread is dying for lack of pictures. Go out one time, take a bunch of pictures, then post a few each time you visit. I know all of you have nice things in your garden to show off. Pictures keep it interesting and give us stuff to chat about.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9597765

I can't take any because it keeps raining. I'll try to get a few...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9597871

I put on my boots...so here we are...

false agave
2 - impatiens
3 - caladiums
4 - jap maple with coleus
5 - another jap maple with coleus

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9597872

My EEs are really growing...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013

Post #9597875

coneflowers are still doing well
spider lily
kamaepheria
stromathe
vanda

forgive the spelling

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9597877

another begonia with orange blooms
philodendron
lots more begonias
ee - anyone know which one??
curcuma - 5 ft tall - anyone know which one it may be??

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9597885

Philodendron - my most fav
more begonias and other plants
hoya kerrii varg.
persian shield
caladiums

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 13, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9597890

container with perilla
two varg. abutilon
close up of bloom
monstera cheesecake
bear paw fern

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 13, 2013

Post #9598044

Another freak cold front has moved in...we went from a feels like of 100F two days ago and are now heading to 48F overnight. My tropicals were quickly hauled back into my greenhouse.

Love the Blue Butterfly (one of my absolute faves)

The first time I have seen a Plumeria bloom (and it is mine :o)

Waterlily (not sure which one...didn't trace it back to its' pot).

Hawaii'an Sunset Vine is pumping the blooms out now. :o)

Will have to capture a few more in the next few days.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2013 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon   Thumbnail by Lilypon   Thumbnail by Lilypon   Thumbnail by Lilypon   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 14, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9598209

Very nice lilypon! I love the sunset vine...I have got to get one of those. If you can grow it up there ...surely I can grow one here. Now to find one...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9598276

You have some lovelies blooming there, Lily. I have the blue butterfly, and a plumeria that looks just like that.

Paula, whew! What a fantastic show. I want to comment on every picture but when you post 28 at once . .

Big catt blooming away, cool weather sure makes the flowers last better!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9598298

Okay I'm all in
New pink Hibiscus (hybrid) Lowes Paid full price--damn!
Water lily that is blooming like mad(3 blooms at one time last week) in the pool cage
Some rescue Hibiscus from a Demo sale
Another hybrid Hibiscus
A brom about to bloom--can't remember where it was filched from

Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9598307

More photos:
Black Stem Lobster Claw
Don't know the name of this heliconia
Side garden
Cactus bloom from last month
Rangoon Creeper from last month

And on a side note as I must(:)) brag--our horse was champion in her division in a show in NC this past week! YAY!
Debi

Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 14, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9598527

Very nice pictures Debi...love the rangoon creeper! Congrats on the championship...what was the category?
Do you travel alot? That's a long way to go, pulling a horse trailer.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 14, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9598646

Thank you GAgirl and DyzzyPyxxy. I've been admiring (drooling over ;o) for years the pics that DG members put up here of tropical (or semi-tropical) plants, including those beauties above (most of which weren't available to Canadians and especially Canadians on the Northern prairies). I've bugged local greenhouses for years (mentioned that people in the Dakotas are growing them so why can't we???). Now some are showing up here (and Canadian mail order also takes care of a few other wants of mine).

GAgirl given the heat and humidity your State is capable of I really don't think you will have a problem with that Sunset vine. Now mine did have most of its buds turn brown when we had another cool snap a month ago but it didn't hurt the vine itself. New buds formed really, really, really fast (and compared to other vines I've grown here this one makes me think of Kudzu due to how quickly it is growing for me).

By chance I found another Sunset vine (its trellis and vines had been broken) but the vines were still a couple of feet long. My daughter wanted a cutting from mine (didn't think I'd have much luck there since Floridians are reporting failure or that it takes months to root) so I was tickled pink (and it was very cheap and I expect it will send up new growth very quickly).

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9598649

GAgirl1066 wrote:Very nice pictures Debi...love the rangoon creeper! Congrats on the championship...what was the category?
Do you travel alot? That's a long way to go, pulling a horse trailer.

Thanks--she was in the pre-green division. We don't pull trailers anymore! I used to do that years ago, but she is with our trainers in the Knoxville area and they do all the care, shipping and training! Love it!!!
Debi
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9599598

Everyone's posies look great, especially those from the southeast where we have had such epic amounts of rain. The SC Botanical Gardens up in Clemson were essentially destroyed by a foot of rain within a short period of time the other day, whole areas are just gone. I am seeing a lot of wet wilt down here, there is so little O2 in the soil. I am telling people to poke pitchforks into the soil around plants in the ground and just sticks into containers to make holes where oxygen can get near the roots.

Lily, I am in awe of your Canadian grown flowers, you have done a fantastic job up there.

Pink Bottle Brush
Begonia - forget name
Crapes have been amazing this year - near dark when I took that pic
Sweet little native clematis
Second bud on Musa Sweetheart is forming fruit

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9599651

Debi, beautiful flowers all, and I'm envious of the Rangoon Creeper, too. Never thought to make it 'creep' up a trellis like that but it displays it perfectly.

Alice, more gorgeous flowers, and I especially like the little clematis. Lucky you, to be growing bananas! They will slurp up all the rain, I'm sure.

We're lucky down here to have such porous soil, the rain just drains away so fast. What a shame about the Botanical Gardens.
- Gloriosas going strong
- Hedychium 'Dr Moy' my favorite, sorry for the repeat but I can't walk by it with the camera . .
- white Canna 'Ermine' is a bit more elegant and restrained than the blazing colors of the others.

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9599910

Does anyone want to trade me some Plumeria? You guys are making me so Jelly lol... Can't believe I used that word.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9606005

I only have two Plumerias, Jokenna. One has no fragrance at all so you wouldn't want it. The other is a dwarf type that I'm trying to keep going. It has a light, almond scent - must admit I'm rather disappointed in it, too. I can't take cuttings from either of them until winter.
- Plumeria pudica - nice crisp white flowers, cool lobed foliage, no scent +-(
- Plumeria 'Penang Peach' - slight almond scent, small bush, nice flowers
- my Musical Notes plant loves all the rain!

This message was edited Jul 20, 2013 10:26 PM

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9606076

Elaine, my musical notes Clero. from you is starting to bloom - I LOVE it - thank you SO MUCH!!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9606078

Oh; that's nice Kay!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9606162

Yes, Drew - it really is. I have so many beautiful plants from these wonderful folks and I appreciate each and every one of them so much!

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9606296

dyzzypyxxy you have beautiful plants,and thanks for the thought.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9606581

Hm, Kay the one I sent you is Clero. quadriloculaire, the 'Shooting Star' one with the big dark leaves, purple on the reverse. It will bloom in January, if you can keep it warm enough.

I scored two starts of the Musical Notes at Selby's member day plant sale, and they have sulked all winter and spring, but are taking off now.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2013 10:40 PM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9606804

Oh, no - I don't know which of you wonderful gals sent it to me, then. It could have been Rita or Paula - everyone has been so generous!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 21, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9607363

I did have one and may have sent it, but I can't remember either. Mine unfortunately died. Do you think Debra might have sent it to you? Has anyone heard from her?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 21, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9607371

Does the Musical Notes clerodendrum come from seed?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9607451

Deb emailed me a week ago and said she just isn't ready to talk to anyone right now. Losing Sherry hit her very hard and I know she's love it if folks on this thread would drop her a line and let her know she's missed.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9607663

Did a few weeks ago Kay.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9607683

Lily, I don't know if the Musical Notes makes seed, but it is dropping flowers so I might know more in a few days.

We sure do miss Deb! I'd be inclined to respect her space. Everybody grieves in different ways.

Here's an update on my in-ground experiment with P.Gloriosum. They are right next to each other, and both have had the same water and fert.
- the one that is in a sunken pot has 3 good looking leaves
- the one directly in the ground has two small pathetic looking leaves

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9608024

Around here the advantitious tree roots grow right into the pots and rob the plants of any nutrition. It is almost like they can smell where the good soil is. LOL
I have tried surrounding the pots with landscape fabic before sinking them but it does not help for more than a month or two at best. I can raise the pots off the ground and that prevents the invading roots but it also creates a watering nightmare not to mention what happens when we have a big blow.

Bouvardia ternifolia (is there a common name for that one?)

A piece of Don Miller dropped into the Picasso's Paintbrush pot and look what happened.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9608056

Oh, Alice - they are beautiful!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 22, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9608201

Elaine,
my gloriosum are struggling also. I just can't figure them out.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9608287

Alice, the pot with the Don Miller volunteer is gorgeous. Sometimes the accidents turn out the best!

Paula, I'm going to carefully lift the one P. Gloriosum that's in the ground, and put it in a pot. See if it just needs root space of its own, and regular TLC. I think it's just a wimpy hybrid, and doesn't play well with others.

- Brazilian Red Cloak is starting its summer bloom
- closeup of Red Cloak flower bract
- a mystery, NOID spiral ginger, I think it came from Rita a couple of years ago, and I just stuck it in a pot, and forgot it. Here it is blooming with such pretty red buds and stems.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9608359

Wow, that spiral ginger flower is amazing Elaine. What a nice surprise. I hope Rita is OK, she has been quiet for a while.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 22, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9608995

I heard from Rita a couple of weeks ago and she is doing well but staying very busy. Hopefully she will be back to posting again.

Dyzzy and Paula, P. gloriosum will grow best if it's not planted too deeply in a pot or in the ground and only watered when it has dried out a little bit. I grow mine in a hanging basket and when it crawls out, I make the cut and start a new plant. It is a crawler and not a climber. It prefers bright light (no direct) and also attracts spider mites.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9609293

Ah ha! Thanks Rachel. I will put the sickly Gloriosum in a hanging basket and see if it recovers. We've had too much rain for 6 weeks, but things are drying out now.

Nothing in my garden has spider mites, they are all on the Brugmansias. Sacrificial hosts?

Treasures from friends:
- the lovely Rainbow Costus from Rita
- begonias, Don Miller from Alice, Maurice Amy from Mj.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9610129

good evening everyone, your plants and flowers are beautiful. I am glad the musical notes took off for you KayJones. My don miller from alice is growing big out in the shade garden now. we have had florida weather this month. rain at least once a week sometimes twice. most of my tropicals are on the front porch or in the afternoon shade areas.. I am glad to have lots of color in my yard right now.
I have had to cut down a lot around the house because of all the big fotted painters and gutter guys, but they will grow back.. some thiings never made it upstairs, the tropical area downstairs is small right now, but cozy with the fish and the turtles and garter snakes.. we dodged another bullet of baseball size hail tonight.. people to the north us us got pounded..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9610133

It has been a month now, I celebrated my sisters 55th birthday last night by going to applebys and ordering two appetizer trays with a little of everything, since she would have loved it.. sitting on the patio at night seems to help me a bit..these are a few of the things around me out on the patio..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9610134

I planted at least three seeds of every seed anyone has sent me, so now I have tons of NOIDs thanks to faded tags, this will be fun..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9610140

It is hard to see things here with the ghost column down the middle of everything when I log on. oh well.. I am waiting for all my cleros to bloom..and my passis, well, a lot of stuff is late late late// u can see where i whacked the plants down on this side of the house, the painter is working on it now in between the rainy days..
the umbrelllas are crooked, but do help with the shade loving plants on the patio..
the arches are just now starting to show some signs of things climbing..all the milkweeds are bloming and podding.. I have 6 kinds show up so far..
thank you for loving me, I love you all too..

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 24, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9610299

Everything just looks beautiful Debra! Sending lots of love and ((((hugs))))!!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9610314

Hi, Deb! All your plants are lovely! If you need something i.d.'d just post it, one picture at a time, and we will try to help. We love you!

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 24, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9611096

Debra, all your plants are so beautiful and healthy looking and I'm so sorry about your sister. I know your heart has a very empty spot but continue to think about all the good times you two had together and God will also help with comfort.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2013

Post #9611345

Oh Debra your garden looks wonderful. So glad you are back.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9611349

morning, thought I would wish you all a Blessed day , keep the beautys posted for me..
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9611439

Blessings right back to you Debra.

Noid Bilbergia blooming. The color just does not show up, it is really a vibrant red.

Anomally for here, it is usually too warm but this tuberose perservered. Only one bud out of a whole pot of bulbs.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9612109

oh! u just reminded me of someting Alice, thank you.. somewhere I must find my tuber rose I know it is in one of the barrels.. My bilbergia will prolly bloom when I bring it in.. yours is beautiful..
got 2 of my rain barrels set up today, 2 more to go..
need ID on this vine..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9612201

Deb, I believe your vine is from the one I have at the end of my garage, which I believe to be Lavender Trumpet Vine botanically named Clytostoma callistegioides. It has the lavender flowers like the garlic vine.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2013 8:01 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9614604

Drew, I've been thinking about you and hoping your garden is not underwater. You guys are really getting walloped. I will be in WNC next week and I am fairly certain the road to the cabin we have rented has washed away. The realtor keeps saying no worries but I am thinking we might want to bring our PFD's - just in case. :-(
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9614677

15'' since June 28th to today! Thanks for thinking of us Alice!

A couple of Aroids.

Thumbnail by homer1958

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9614795

I can almost hear Audrey saying "feed me Seymore". LOL You might need a bigger house next winter to keep those babies warm.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9615068

love you giants, wish I could sit amongst them.. so much rain here, and cool, I had to wear a jacket yesterday..
any idea on the 2nd pic? little laterns

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9615171

#2 is really cute - don't know what it is.

#4, hairy balls milkweed - mine died.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9615960

good news, I have started another hairy balls successfully in the bog garden. I will send it to you. wondering if #2 is mini turks cap? there were some seeds in my DG stash from one of you of those..last pic is where I sit at night.. the squash, tomatoes, cilantro, sunflowers, morning glorys, peppers, are behind me, my jasmine sambuc is right beside me..3rd pic is what Elaine sent me, 4th pic is the jessimine, starting over, 2nd pic is kopper king, 1st pic is gloriosa lilly popped up prolly from elaine..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9615983

I have not had my spider lillys both white and red show up yet, but naked ladies are popping up.. no show on the peruvian daffodils, and no show on the big dinner plate dahlia yet.. here are some tropical looking photos..
southeast fence, southeast patio, tropical vines and a sunflower being trained to arch down with tropical vines on the other side.. it is a slow process, but the end result is arches of blooms in an outdoor corner for me by end of august.. this is to the north of the patio, snowqueen hibiscus just now starting to bloom again, she got her hair trimmed.. made two more of her with the trimmings, back to kopper king hib, and she has red standing cypress on one side of her..
here is the outside view of my patio wall of tropical and natives combined.. it is almost solid..

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9616130

Deb, post your unknown plant on the id forum - maybe someone can help. All your plants/flowers are so pretty!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9616301

Hey Deb, everything looks fabulous. That gloriosa does look like one I might have sent you, called 'Wine n Red' and the E ear in the border there is 'Blue Hawaii'.

I have the orange colors going today.
- Hedychium 'Dr Moy' smelling lovely despite being invaded by stink bugs
- clero 'Pagoda' from a cutting from floridabunnie, Thank You! Are you still here?
- Heliconias are twice the size they usually are, thanks to all the rain.
- Never had so many Lobster Claws, either.
- seed pods on a huge Brom stalk - I wonder if they will germinate?

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 30, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9616355

Love the lobster claw!!! Always wanted one, but it wouldn't do well here.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9617008

I love them all, but I think the pagoda is very cool.. I think I have one somewhere LOL can u guys remind me what this is? It bloomed little tiny flowers up above it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9617107

Deb, it's Jatropha integerrima (Spicy Jatropha).

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2013
4:34 AM

Post #9617127

I don't think the leaves are right for the J. integerrima, do you think it could be the Jatropha gossypifolia? They have the teeny tiny flowers and leaves are wider, more like what I think Debra is referring to.

Debra, you have so many pretty, lush plants in that picture. Good Growing!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9617152

Yes, Alice - that's it! Mine is from a trade and was sent with the name I cited - I will change it to the correct label.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9617230

I see a pretty Caladium 'Gingerland' down in the bottom of that picture, too. My favorite.

Everything looks beautiful, Deb. Remember last summer when it was 108 every day and you were moving everything back into the basement about now?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9617915

oh yes, last year was horrible, and I am still moving stuff down there, it is supposed to get back hot in August.. that one little plant we can't ID is making little lantern pods now.. so weird.. thought maybe ground cherry>? but it is too tall, .
That caladium stayed in the tub all winter, and as soon as it came out, it popped up.
Beautiful ginger for your avatar, Elaine.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9617950

Mm. it's almost the same color as my Hedychium 'Dr Moy' but that one's a canna.

Here's the doctor, going strong. Those babies will bloom off and on - and smell heavenly - until it gets cold now. Fabulous plant.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9618163

Fabulous!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9618233

Good morning! I want to thank whomever sent me the variegated Ginger (who?)! It is blooming yellow and is so beautiful - thank you! It is pouring rain right now, but when it stops, I'll get a picture and post it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9618985

ohh can't wait to see it!

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9619718

As promised, a picture of my variegated Ginger:

Thumbnail by KayJones

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9619806

awww those are beautiful!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9619834

Sure looks like 'Dr Moy' to me, Kay. Most of mine don't have quite as much variegation but some do.

Did I send it to you?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9620001

Yes, I believe you did send it to me - thank you so much!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9622366

Don't forget to go out and have a sniff, they smell glorious. Pretty sure that is my favorite plant in the garden. Nice variegated leaves, pretty flowers, nice scent, easy care, no pest problems . . . what's no to love?

- I finally have a decent picture of Clero. 'Pagoda' with some flowers open.
- love the Heliconias at all stages of bloom (2, 3 & 4)
- dwarf Canna are only 2ft. tall, and have pretty flowers that self-clean. I have a white one with the pink markings like this, too. Hmmm, wonder where it is??

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9622374

I've lost a plant, too! It's in a 8" pot with a bamboo stake in it - I held it in my hands over the weekend and moved it somewhere - cannot find it anywhere! LOL

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9623081

Kay Jones, You crack me up... lol I have done the same thing!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9623209

I've misplaced pots (empty) that . Swear that it must be around and then find it, planted the next day or so.
Is it my imagination or did it get REALLY hot in this past week?
Debi
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9623306

I spent 10 minutes looking for something the other day and all of a sudden I realized I had forgotten what it was I was looking for. Pitiful!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9623613

ardesia wrote:I spent 10 minutes looking for something the other day and all of a sudden I realized I had forgotten what it was I was looking for. Pitiful!

oh good, I am not the only one..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9623974

My DH calls it 'Sometimers' and don't worry we all get it!

Frankly, though I like KayJones' name for it CRS. 'Can't Remember (umm) Stuff'

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9625121

drewsheimers.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2013

Post #9626171

No tropicals up here.

This is why they call them the Smokies.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9626262

Beautiful, Alice and I'll bet it's nice and cool too. Surprised you have internet service 'way up there!

- my Passiflora quadrangularis is blooming again, way up high in the bamboo stand. I hope the right pollenators are around at this time of year. The rest of the blooms in the spring never set any fruit.
- got myself a new orchid at Trader Joe's this week, Beallara Tahoma Glacier

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9626408

that make 387 now Elaine?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9626562

Nah, I've kilt off a few with the black plague since we've had so much rain this summer. Also been battling boisduval scale on another bunch, which are out in the garden in quarantine. (the geckos eat the scale insects for me out there)

Still over 100 though. A lot are still small and have not bloomed yet. So once in a while I treat myself to one that already has flowers.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9626721

LOL!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9627378

Yes the heat has gotten to me as well.
Does anyone know of any architectural salvage places in the south of Florida? I am getting ready to start the hardscape in the backyard and can salvage a lot of what I think I need.

Thanks-Debi

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9627491

There's a wonderful one here in Sarasota, Debi.

http://www.sarasotasalvage.com/

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9627493

Thanks--saw that one online. May have to do some field trips, I'm a thinking!!
Gee, that would probably have to include orchid and tropical oddity growers too...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9628616

...But of Course!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9629920

These mountains are getting interesting. Saw my first bear strolling across the back lawn this morning. Guess I now know what it feels like when mountain people see their first gator.

Drew are you getting all this rain? We are drowing up here. My plan was to go someplace where it was cool enough so I could sit on the deck in the mornings and have my coffee. I've been here 2 weeks now and have not been able to do that yet. Between the wet weather and now the the wildlife, that plan has been scrapped.

There was a piece on the local TV last night about a local woman who had bananas on her plants. She did not know the variety but the ones shown were large and very edible looking. Strange when tropicals thrive in the Western NC mountains.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9630249

We have too! Probably M. Basjoo,... survives Zone 4 if very heavily mulched... Bananas are not edible though.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9630300

That was my first thought, I have had M. Basjoo and got rid of them because they were such thugs. These bananas I saw on TV were much larger. My Basjoo's were fairly small.

My son, here in Asheville, has Basjoo's and frankly, they look out of place in this climate to me. But, the climate - it's a changin'.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9636440

I was just watching TV and listening to some doctor telling people how to lower their cholesterol. One of his recommendations was a Japanese noodle with no calories. I googled it and found it is made from the root of A. Konjac. Who knew?
http://www.amazon.com/Shirataki-Noodles-Pack-of-5/dp/B002CENRLG
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9636621

I love noodles, so will find some of these. There is quite a variation in the price, so if you intend to buy them, check at several places.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9636695

Good idea. I just hope they don't taste like A. Konjac flowers smell. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9636929

It is said that these noodles don't have any flavor. I imagine they are just like the glass noodles used in Oriental cooking. A dear friend of mine owns an Oriental market - I'll check with her.

grakay

grakay
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9637335

Just make sure you rinse them well with cold water before using, as they have a fishy odor.

I've used them for years when I'm watching my weight and even though they are tasteless, they take on the flavor of whatever you're using them with.

I still have some in my pantry, and the good thing is, they do not need refrigeration for storage.

They are very filling as they're made of glucomannan, which is fiber.

Gracie
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9637366

Interesting! Thank you.

Drew, you are so good at growing aroids, maybe there is another career for you here. :-)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9639540

I'm still not growing any plant that has a stinky flower, even if it does make delicious diet noodles! Got to go look for those noodles, though.

I just got back tonight from another trip to Salt Lake, so tomorrow morning will have some flower pics to show off I hope!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9639774

Good morning, everyone! Elaine, we always love seeing your flower pictures, so can't wait until you show us more!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9640107

I have been busy futzing about in the garden all morning, and here it is clouding over and already raining a bit! My yard looks like it's trying to do 'Sleeping Beauty's Castle' and devour the house. Evidently it has been raining heavily every day this week, so . . phew! My garden helper and I will be doing a weeding marathon on Monday morning.

Only got as far as the pool cage with the camera before I had to put it away and start fussing.
- Rita's spiral ginger made a stem with almost all white leaves!
- same plant, the flower
- Spathoglottis plicata 'opal' has been blooming non-stop for months
- my favorite orchid Brassavola nodosa, smelled absolutely heavenly last night to greet me home.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9640156

Love them all!!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9640184

Me too! Very nice
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9640185

Heaven Scent!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9640387

Painted lady bamboo took off this summer!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9640664

OK, fellow gardeners, I need help! I planted running Bamboo and Golden Bamboo in a fence area - the patch is about 4'x6'.

I would leave it there if I were going to continue living in this house that I rent, BUT - I am being forced, at some point, to move - the house is up for short sale.

I need to find a way, other than digging the Bamboo, to kill it - my back won't allow me to dig. Can anyone (who has actually killed this giant grass) help with HOW TO DO IT?!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9640671

Is the owner forcing you to remove it? If not I would leave it for the next owner to deal with. My son's home had a very large variety of running bamboo that had been planted right along the house. It was growing under his HVAC units and it had already cracked the steps. He is young and strong and he couldn't dig it out either. He cut it to the ground with loppers and painted the cut edge with RU. It seems to have worked. He still gets the occasional shoot but that is all.

So sorry you have to re-locate. I know it will be difficult leaving some of your beloved plants.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9640674

I'm afraid the bamboo will be up for short sale with the house. The new owners can deal with it. For all you know, the whole place might get bull dozed, and that would take care of it. My opinion is attempts to kill it will make it look like hell, and in the end it will still live.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9640685

Thanks, Alice and Randy. I have placed an ad on Craigslist for free Bamboo - you dig. I haven't gotten any responses yet, probably because it grows wild here, and those who want it already have it. I will forfeit my $1,050 deposit if I don't remove all the plants. I have hired a guy to help me dig 'ordinary' plants, but Bamboo is not an 'ordinary' plant!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2013

Post #9640727

That is certainly a task. Wayne does the same thing Alice's son does, cut them down and pour round up down the center
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9640857

Thanks - if I don't get folks to come and dig it all, I'll use the Roundup. I have two guys coming to get some - pray that they take it ALL!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9640954

Be careful of people you contact on craigslist, Kay. Have at least one friend- preferably a brawny male - there with you when they come. There are unscrupulous characters who target older people on that site. Many bad stories.

Our sympathies on having to move your garden! Phew. What a task as RJ says. Wish some of us could get there to help you. I'd be no help in this weather, as I last about 10 minutes in the heat.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9640978

Kay,
Don't you have a greenhouse also ? Is it portable so you can move it to your new place ?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9640997

The greenhouse belongs to the house. I just gave over 50% of my potted tropicals to my neighbors - my yard looks SO BARE now! I'm getting excellent responses on my free Bamboo. Thanks for being concerned about criminals - I am setting digging times for after he gets home from school and work. Hopefully, enough people want it that I can mow the area while I'm still here and then let the new owners worry about it.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9641161

Boy, do I know that feeling Kay!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9641197

Yes, Randy - I think of your situation, a year (or so) ago, when I hand someone my precious babies!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9641243

Don't worry, that's what you have us here for. We are the Plant Insurance Forum. Once you get a new place, we will send you wonderful plants to get a whole new garden going again.

I'll bet your lucky neighbors will let you come back and take cuttings of your former babies, too.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9641278

Elaine, I wouldn't ask you all to do that - everyone on this thread has been so generous with me over the years. I wouldn't have had all the neat plants I had if it weren't for the love from all of you - thank you to each of you. IF/when I move back to KC, I will be near Debra - that beautiful flower is what I really need - she is SO PRECIOUS!

BTW, has anyone heard from Rita or Paula, lately?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9643437

Oh dear, really love all the plants here, I am leaving for Buffalo in a few days, my lil Braxton will be here every other day to water, I am taking cuttings of stuff in case I lose anything, it hasn't rained here for about three or four weeks now, can't believe we had rain 9 out of 15 days in July, now the summer is here, I have only brought in two plants..
I hope you get moved safe and sound, KayJones, and I will have plants for you when you do..
My one and only plumeria is budded and it will bloom of course while I am gone, go figger..
Have never seen it bloom yet. A tour of the patio..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9643463

So lovely, Deb. Unless you are gone for more than a couple of weeks, I'm betting your plumeria will still have flowers when you get back.

Buffalo? Isn't that one of those places where they have two seasons? Winter and August. Don't stay into September, it may snow!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9643595

Buffalo? You didn't say anything about this trip - hope everything is o.k. and it's a safe one for you, Deb!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9643682

Came as a sudden decision,, Joe's mom is turning 84 and I havn't seen her for three years, and with all the stuff going on here, I am glad to get away.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9643852

That's wonderful for all of you!!!!

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9644012

Hello! I finall have some tropicals I purchased this spring and have decided to quit lurking. They have all grown quite a bit, as they were purchased quite tiny. No small feat this year in Michigan. We have had a very cold and rainy season.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever         

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9644107

Nice, Louise!

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9645184

My TR Hovey papaya. This one has needed some babying, as they hate cold wet soil.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9646773

So right, Louise. When I moved to FL, the first thing I planted in May that year were 3 small papaya plants. By October, they were over 6ft. and the biggest was 9ft tall with 14 papayas on it. They love water, but need good drainage, feed heavily and above all keep 'em warm! I'd recommend a bigger pot, and bring it indoors as soon as the nights are going below 50. Set a dark colored watering can in the sun so the water is warm for them.

By the first cold front, they basically stop growing, and just sit there (although the fruit ripens) until it warms up in March. I have to wrap the stem where the fruit is in bridal veil netting to keep the fruit from being raided by squirrels or ruined by wasp larvae.

Papaya 'Red Lady' so called because of the red leaf stems.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9646821

Elaine, my 'Red Lady' doesn't have red leaf stems - any idea why?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9646949

No clue, Kay! I have three, and they all have the dark red stems on the leaves. The real feature of 'Red Lady' though, is that it is self-fruitful. Most papayas need a male and female tree to get fruit, but not 'Red Lady'.

So, if your plant is setting fruit all by itself, I wouldn't worry about not having red leaf stems.
- firespike bringing in the hummers
- Hedychium 'Dr. Moy' blooming away
- Brazilian Red Cloak is in its full glory again.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9647253

Thanks for the advice! I keep it a little root bound to combat the wet cold feet. It was a 2 inch potted plant when I got it, and I see the first bud. I am lucky to have a nice south facing bay window for the winter. My calamondin seems to be doing alright too so far.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9647513

The bay window sounds perfect! Definitely go for a large, deep pot for the winter, Louise. You'll want to re-pot before you bring it in the house anyway, to prevent importing critters.

Root bound is not good for papayas, they send down a tap root that will go out the bottom of the pot and sit in water if you have the pot on a saucer.

Be sure to post a picture when your flower blooms!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9647607

Elaine, your Clerodendron speciosissimum is gorgeous! Mine is 7' tall and in bloom - so beautiful!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9656196

As well!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9661971

exciting news.. my buddah belly is huge and full of leaves and flowers, the fire spike is blooming in the tomatoe patch, my clero from florida is all aglow with red blooms, and the little powder puff tree thing from Rita is in full bloom.. and well, gee, after being up in newyork for a week, it is good to be home. Love all your blooms, Elaine.
here are some pics from buffalo the waterfront area, my sil's escargot begonia, (it is huge! )
Her yard l;ooks like spring here in kansas, it is oh so very manicured and tidy, nothing like my wild and crazy jungle gardens,. she does have a few tropicals, but not like Joes mom, she has them outside all over the place.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9662061

What beautiful, well tended plants. But, I am with you, my home garden is a jungle and I love it that way. The 4th pic is a dahlia, right? They struggle in our humidity so we see few in this area.

I was away for 5 weeks and when I returned not one thing looked any different from when I left. All was the same which, I guess, was a good thing, nothing died. LOL
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 27, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9671615

I just can't believe how this thread and DG in general is just 'dead' here lately. So, if anyone is still out there...here are a few photos of some things blooming. This week has really been nice here,,,60s at night and mid 80s during the day. I have been cleaning out the GH, getting ready to put things back in.
This Hibiscus tricolor has taken over the GH. I have to cut it back and I really don't won't too. I have read that they are easy to root, so hopefully I'll have a lot of babies before long.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 27, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9671618

Oops...forgot to label them
1 - the Hibiscus Tricolor
2 - stapelia gigantea
3 - red 'lifesaver' - anyone know the name???
4 - vitex
5 - mandevilla

And below is blue daze with my chocolate mimosa in the middle.
and Nightshade

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9671628

Paula, take a look at 'stapelia scitula' and see if that's your plant. I have one that hasn't bloomed yet (thanks, Floridaheat!).
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 27, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9671739

Hi Kay
No I don;t think that is it...here is a closeup of mine. Its real dark and rather small..about the size of a nickel..maybe. I've found a couple pics on the internet that look just like it, but none of them have names other than stapelia.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9671995

well what ever it is it is cute.. I have not heard of hibicus tri color, it kinda looks like my snow queen, but no red in the leaves. My carrion flower plant is loaded with blooms, finally after three years I get to actually see one. All the tropicals on the front porch are out on the front side walk to get their final rain bath before my son hauls them in.. we are ready .. I love my vitex, it really is growing, I have two, one on each side of the arbor. Joe is finally retired so now he has a lot of chores to do for me, digging and moving plants mostly.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2013
3:13 AM

Post #9672141

Yep, Deb - keep the boy busy and outta your hair!!!! I would give anything for a retired husband instead of a deceased husband - love him while you have him!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 28, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9672505

Hi Debra,
Bot. Name is hibiscus tiliaceus 'tricolor'. It's a beautiful plant. I personally have never noticed the flowers...don,t know if mine has or not. I have plenty of cuttings, if you would like one.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9672584

Deb, I have one in a huge pot and mine blooms red.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9672621

Mine blooms red also but the flowers hide along the stems under the foliage. I don't have any buds yet, it usually flowers late here.

This picture is of my plant when it was young. For some reason there are more green leaves now that it has about 6 or 7 years on it.

Thumbnail by ardesia

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 28, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9672622

Alice...is yours in the ground or pot?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9672652

Mine is the same, Alice - mostly variegated green/white leaves, occasionally a red/burgundy leaf, but mine is also several years old, thus fewer red leaves.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9672852

ahh okay well it is pretty foilage.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
3:16 AM

Post #9672941

Mine is in a large pot, I move it to a sheltered area in the winter. It has always been outside.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9672987

paula your plant is Red Dragon flower Huernia schneideriana

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61056/

I have the same variegated hibiscus and it haven't seen it bloom, Alice I think you may be who sent it too me.

I'm with ya on the "jungle look" ...LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9673596

well, we are slowly getting things in..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9673630

Wow, it seems early, but I do remember that there's usually a light freeze just before Halloween.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9673669

yes, there usually is.. joe brought a lot in as i de-bugged and sprayed,,
shirleyk1
New Orleans, LA

October 26, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9695605

My beautiful ensete has decided to bloom. Since that represents the growth tip, what happens if I remove it before it extends?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9701806

It will perish either way! Either with or without bananas with seeds.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 14, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9708954

Does anyone have anything blooming? I'll have to go take some pictures...I finally got all my plants in. Just yesterday they finished my new GH and not a moment too soon. I was putting plants in as they were nailing up the last things. I still have to get the electricity and heat hooked up but for now its fine. Here are the pictures over the last three days...
Day1 took 8 months to get to this level.(kept getting put off)
Day 2 - little over half completed
Day 3 - finished product
Inside - have plenty of room to make shelves and start some cuttings and plant seeds.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9708987

Holy COW, Paula - that's a great greenhouse!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9709006

Yep; Would love to place my monsters in there!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9709028

Oh WOW, I am green with envy. It went down to 41 here the past two nights, a GH would have been handy.

My first bananas, Musa 'Sweetheart' and sad to say they taste about as good as a dry sponge. :-(
I am hoping the second stalk of fruit will be a little better.

Thumbnail by ardesia

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2013

Post #9709623

ardesia

I've never grown any of the Musa's and wanted to find out do you not leave the bananas on the stalk until they are ripe or did you take them off due to the temp drop?

too bad they didn't taste good, hopefully like you said your next ones will.

Jan
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9709659

They were picked before the cold weather just as they were starting to turn yellow. It is not obvious in this picture but there are yellow ones on the back of that green looking stalk. I was told that is when we were supposed to pick them. We have not had rain here in forever and only had 1/4" total in October, I think they just didn't get enough fresh water. I detect a slight salty taste and suspect they hit the ground water here. Friends who grow this variety say it is usually great. I bought the plants a couple of years ago from the fall festival at the UGA coastal gardens in Savannah, used to be called the Bamboo Farm.

Paula, you picked up a medinella magnifica for me years ago and I left it outside on its own all summer and it has been blooming for months now. Did yours make the move to the new house OK?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2013

Post #9710315

thanks ardesia for the update on them. very interesting.

Jan
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 16, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9710510

Thank you everyone. I am blessed. Alice mine is. Blooming also. Beautiful plants. I just love them
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2014
5:26 PM

Post #9828321

Hello? Anyone still following this thread?

SO, just wondering how everyone's gardens fared with the unusually cold winter we just had.

In my case, a local nursery registered a low of -15 degrees this pas winter, and I've had both pleasant & unpleasant surprises: First of all, my Trachy that I've had growing in this area since 2007 or 2008 looks like it finally bit the dust: All but the bases of the leaves are dead, and the spear pulled. Additionally, my supposedly hardy Yucca rostrata also bit the dust (which is kinda funny, since my Common sage, which was planted right next to it, came through without a scratch), and all my Sabal minor "McCurtain" palms had about 80% leaf damage, but all have green, healthy spears.

In the pleasant surprise area, all my OTHER experimental yuccas, including the un-named hybrid I got from Brian's Botanicals in 2008 and both Yucca gloriosa Recurvifolia & Y. gloriosa "Lone Star" made it through with barely any damage at all, despite most literature saying they can't survive temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit... Also, all my bamboos survived, including the Sunset Glow fargesia and my Fargesia nitida.

I'm posting a pic below of the front yard, including the three types of yuccas that survived and my (probably) dead Trachy, with our Japanese Cherry trees blooming in the background. I'm also posting a close-up pic of the other Lone Star yucca planted near the end of the driveway that I took earlier this afternoon.

I'm also including some pics of the new bamboo I got about 3 weeks ago at Mid-Altantic Bamboo in Crewe, VA. I got 1x 5 gallon Ruscus bamboo (gets about 4' high, max) and 2x 5 gal Indocalamus tessalatus, which has the largest leaves of any cold-hardy bamboo. One of the Indocalamus tessalatus is already sending up shoots. :)

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2014
5:44 AM

Post #9828616

I'm here in NE Mississippi. I lost approximately two dozen Jade, four dozen Aloe Vera, a bunch of Schefflera and Rubber Tree plants, two, multi-trunked Madagascar Dragon Trees, and a huge Peace Lily. My greenhouses were full and I had no place to put them. Our unusually cold winter did them in.

I'm in the process of moving out most of my tropical plants. They will go under large oak and cedar trees and will remain outside until October/November. I will put about 600 plants outside.

Ken
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2014
8:45 AM

Post #9828780

Ouch! That sounds extremely painful! Sorry about losing all your plants!

One thing I might suggest, if you like dragon trees is Cordyline Australis: Those things are almost hardy even up here (I know some people who grow them like perennials around here), and they are definitely rated for your zone...

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2014
12:18 PM

Post #9828913

Thanks for the suggestion. The only reason I had the two Madagascar Dragon Trees was because they got too large for my next-door neighbor. They over-wintered the two previous years, 2012-2013, outside and did fine. Since they were "free", apparently I did not value them as much as my orchids, bromeliads, plumeria, etc.

Ken
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2014
10:47 AM

Post #9835033

Minor update: MY ZINGIBER MIOGA "SILVER ARROW" SURVIVED!!!!

That's right, at least ONE of the true gingers I planted survived -15 degree temps last winter, and just started poking up out of the ground.

Unfortunately, still no word on the Zingiber mioga "Dancing Crane" plants I also planted last year. If they didn't make it, I'll just see about ordering more "Silver Arrow" to replace them (the Silver Arrow seems to be generally hardier & more robust anyways)...

thegardenerny

thegardenerny
Malden, NY

May 10, 2014
11:31 AM

Post #9835058

yellow magnolia

Thumbnail by thegardenerny

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2014
2:03 PM

Post #9835179

Ooooh, how pretty!

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
2:07 PM

Post #9835184

That's a gorgeous flower color. Our state flower is the magnolia but ours are white. I have a half dozen on the side of my driveway and they are about a week from opening. These are all dwarf magnolias and grow very slowly. They are perhaps ten-twelve feet tall and were planted approximately five years ago.

Ken

thegardenerny

thegardenerny
Malden, NY

May 11, 2014
6:01 AM

Post #9835600

thanks kay
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2014
1:51 PM

Post #9873007

Perhaps you guys know where I can find a Musa Ingens?

thegardenerny

thegardenerny
Malden, NY

June 20, 2014
3:12 PM

Post #9873093

Well it was suppose to be peterson's gold but don't think that is it!!!

Thumbnail by thegardenerny

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2014
3:14 PM

Post #9873097

What ever it is It's sure beautiful!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2014
6:28 PM

Post #9873248

Randy, Going Bananas does not list that one but they may still have it, you could always ask.
http://www.going-bananas.com/index.htm
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 20, 2014
7:21 PM

Post #9873316

"Perhaps you guys know where I can find a Musa Ingens?"

I know where you can find them, I got lots of photos while I was there. But, at the same time realised that without a tropical montane climate there's no chance of growing them.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2014
5:05 PM

Post #9892804

now now my good man... dont say such things where i can read it..
heheehe
if i could get M.ingens.. i know i would do WHATEVER!!!! to grow them seasonally...
i thought u knew me better tropic..??? hehehehe...lol
now if u really do know how to get any out of PNG.. i want 4 plants...
i have gone to all kinds of trouble to grow amorph titanum...i am willing to go to
even more extremes to get a M.ingens growing successfully...
that said..???? thanks so much for your putting up with my ribbing tropic..
but..u know im dead serious on growing a M.ingens..
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2014
8:00 AM

Post #9893274

spoke with gal from going bananas..WONDERFUL lady!!! unfortunately
going bananas was unsuccessful in growing musa ingens..sigh :( to alkaline soil,
to hot,to much sun..
not to worry..i am determined !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 15, 2014
12:14 AM

Post #9893978

Dave, I'm just trying to remember the altitude the M. ingens were growing. From memory somewhere around 1500 metres. The area is also about 8 degrees off the equator. Those areas have neither high nor low temperatures and humidity is constantly high. The sun is very intense there but plants survive because the humidity is so high. Compared to M. ingens, titanums are extremely easy to grow. And the fact that titanums are such tiny plants by comparison helps to make them much easier.

We can't import banana plants or seeds here. Our banana industry is very big and politically very strong. They claim introduced banana materials of any sort could introduce diseases. You're not even allowed to move banana plant material around within the country. And there's strict control over plants in the nursery trade. That's why there's so little variety here. We do have a native one, M. banksii, not here but on the east coast.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2014
2:02 PM

Post #9894465

im sure to protect your nanner industry is reason for such protective measures..
im hoping one day..would like sooner than later..:) find a source of M.ingens..and give it a go..
the heat wont be a problem here.its our humidity.. were pretty dry.. mmm.its a desert..lol
but that as part of my challenge.. i hope to one day get some..and try my gardening skills/insanity
on growing them.. :)
i truely appreciate your insight,and wisdom on growing many of these tropical plants.. u r right there..or within a few hrs flight from many of these plants native growing areas..
lucky u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America