Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Astrantia major 'Ruby Wedding'

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9547849

I winter sowed these seeds last January, and still nothing. Any guess on how long they might take to germinate?

Thanks in advance.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2013
12:09 AM

Post #9550652

Astrantia seeds first need a warm period for about 4-6 weeks and after that a cold period, so you need to sow them as soon as they are ripe.
For now: put them in the fridge after temperatures has been warm enough to have them 4 weeks around 18C. Leave them in the fridge for 6 weeks. Check them so now and than, because they start to germinate at 5-12C.

Are you sure you had thick viable seeds? 'Ruby wedding' is a cultivar, so the seeds may be sterile.

Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9552394

I received these seeds from another DG member, who told me they were easy to grow from seed and he sows in the fall and they sprout in the spring. That's why I winter sowed them. Don't think I have room in the fridge for the whole milk gallon! Will see if I have more seeds to experiment with. Thanks for the info.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 16, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9633018

I also have some "Ruby Wedding" seeds that have been sitting there for more than a year. I have decided to wait another year before chucking them into the garden, because this past month (late winter) some of the other astrantia seeds (no name, only color of flowers) I had in pots for ages, germinated. Will let you know if anything happens with the "Ruby Weddings"

Elsa

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America