Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: Yellow-beaked ravens?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID

June 6, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9548398

In my area of the inland northwest, U.S.A., the Common Raven is prevalent. Nearly all that I've seen have the typical heavy black beaks. Occasionally, both I and my husband have seen what looks like a typical raven in every other feature, except the heavy beak is bright yellow. As far as I know, we have no other corvid species in our area with yellow beaks. Could this be a mutation, or did someone's pet Myna bird escape and become wild? Do Mynas even have yellow beaks?

I'm thinking maybe this is some exotic species that has been imported to this region or has escaped from a cage somewhere. We have rarely seen it, and there may be more than one -- but when we have spied it, that bright yellow beak stands out like a sore thumb.

Has anyone else living in the north Idaho panhandle seen this? I would like to know what it is.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9548562

Maybe a mutant juvenile? They don't normally have yellow bills, but do have a bright orange inside to their bills when young.

Yes, some mynas (particularly the Hill Myna) do have yellow bills, but they are a lot smaller - less than a third of the size of a Raven, less than half the size of a Crow, so mistaking them for a Raven is very unlikely.

Resin
flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID

June 7, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9550059

Hubby says he has thus far seen five of these yellow-billed ravens at our local dumpster, amid the flocks of typical black-beaked ravens that often assemble there. He didn't say whether or not he saw these birds with their beaks open, and on the ones I've seen flying overhead with bright yellow beaks looked like their bills were closed. It could well be that some juvies may have yellow on the outside of their beaks as well as inside -- but to see five seems unusual. Usually, mutations like that are much rarer.

I'm going to consult the bird library at Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology to see if there's any explanation. If I've seen ravens with prominent yellow beaks, so have others, and there may be records of it.

kylensmom
Crescent City North, CA

July 23, 2013
10:52 PM

Post #9610222

Was anyone able to get more information? A friend recently spotted one of these birds here on the northern California coast.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America