Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Douglas fir bug infestation

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SteveSi
Fremont, CA

June 8, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9551376

My douglas fir is infested with these bugs. Does anyone know what these are?
I live in northern california.

Thumbnail by SteveSi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 8, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9551492

These are aphids, but I cannot be more specific from this image. See http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r10/forest-grasslandhealth/?cid=fsbdev2_038413 for some possibilities.
SteveSi
Fremont, CA

June 8, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9551553

Thanks! There seem to be 3 varieties. One as the first picture that I attached, then there are ones with two yellow dots, and a 3rd with wings. I attached another picture of a dead one with the two yellow dots. They seem to be anywhere from 2mm-7mm in length. The ones with wings are longer, because of their wings.

Last summer, and this summer the tree has been dripping an excessive amount of runny sap(honey dew?). I also see quite a few ants, and pincer bugs in the tree, as well as some spiders. Last year the tree was swarming with yellow jackets, but I haven't seen them this year.

Thumbnail by SteveSi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9551807

As for the ones with wings, they are probably not a different "variety". From Wikipedia: "When host plant quality becomes poor or conditions become crowded, some aphid species produce winged offspring, "alates", that can disperse to other food sources."
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 9, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9551861

About all that I can add at this point is that they could be one of the giant conifer aphids (Cinara sp.) - http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/01/26/conifer-aphids/
SteveSi
Fremont, CA

June 9, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9552433

Thanks for the help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America