Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Found this large spider in crofton, md

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Topspincharlie
Crofton, MD

June 9, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9552083

I found this large furry spider in our grill cabinet yesterday. It had been raining so I'm guessing he was seeking shelter. I have two under two and have come across a black widow in the past. Do I need to be worried about this guy?

Thumbnail by Topspincharlie   Thumbnail by Topspincharlie   Thumbnail by Topspincharlie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9552118

From what I can discern, it looks like a fishing spider...but kinda blends into the background. Check out this link for Common spiders in Maryland

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Habitat/WildAcres/waspiders.asp
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 9, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9552137

A fishing spider in the genus Dolomedes would seem the best bet; a wolf spider would be the only other likely candidate. Need to see its eyes...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9552150

My first thought was wolf spider...but then the legs looked rather long for them, so thought the next best was fishing spider.
Topspincharlie
Crofton, MD

June 9, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9552852

Thank you all for the responses. It definitely matches all the descriptions I've been reading about the fishing spider, which has some very impressive behaviors. It doesn't look like it's overly dangerous, so I'll move him far away from the house and let him be on his way.

From one website:
Medical Importance

Although a large spider such as D. tenebrosus is able to bite humans, it is a shy spider that will run from people. Bites are typically no more severe than a bee or wasp sting. Exceptions do occur for individuals who are sensitive to spider venoms.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9552985

It should be noted that that info pretty much applies to all the "non-venomous" spiders...most can bite and the bites can be painful even if not dangerous to one's well being.

Glad you got your ID.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America