Stove: gas or electric

Jackson, TN

I had made another post about refrigerators and it seems this is a good forum to ask such questions.
We are also looking at getting a new stove.
ALL we or anyone in either of our families have ever used are electric stoves.
Except when we camp and then we use our gas stove in the camper for small meals.
A coworker of mine says she fought getting a gas stove and finally gave in to her husbands want to replace their electric with gas.
Now..she says she'd never go back to electric.
Cost is the same. I'd have to have a gas line ran but we already have gas heat, so it wouldn't be that expensive.
Cleanup on a flat top electric seems really easy.
But, gas fires up quicker and we'd have ability to cook if we lost electricity.
Anyone here have any additional thoughts or experiences?
We just are going with the electric, what we know. But, gas may be a better choice.
Thanks,
Mark

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

If you get a new gas stove it will have an electric start so when you lose power you still won't be able to use the stove. The old gas stoves don't have that and can still be run when power is out.

Jackson, TN

Quote from pepper23 :
If you get a new gas stove it will have an electric start so when you lose power you still won't be able to use the stove. The old gas stoves don't have that and can still be run when power is out.

Really? You can't manually light it with a lighter if needed?

Syracuse, NY

You'll have to ask specifically whether you can use the stove you want in a power outage.

My kitchen is nearing the end of a complete remodel--new stove not yet hooked up, but I chose a dual fuel range with gas burners and one gas oven, two electric ovens. It's a French stove called Lacanche, on which I did an enormous amount of research before ordering. Electric ovens are great for dry heat applications--cookies, cakes, pastries--and for broiling. Gas ovens are superb for meats and bread, which benefit from a moister environment. I've been cooking with electric everything for the past 25 years or more and can hardly wait to start cooking with gas again because it is so responsive. You might want to think about a dual fuel stove, although they are more expensive.

Glastonbury, United States

If you're going to choose between electric and gas stove, then you should consider this: If your top priority is the quality of the food you cook, then choose a gas stove because it has much better control over the temperature. But if you're concern is about your health, health of others and the environment, then choose an electric stove. Easy as that!

Jackson, TN

Quote from careyS730 :
If you're going to choose between electric and gas stove, then you should consider this: If your top priority is the quality of the food you cook, then choose a gas stove because it has much better control over the temperature. But if you're concern is about your health, health of others and the environment, then choose an electric stove. Easy as that!

Interesting about the health concerns. Never heard that.
Can you elaborate why electric is so much healthier?
Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming. We're thinking about both now more than just electric before.

(Zone 9a)

No problem igniting the gas stoves with electric starters, just use a flame by the burner and it starts right up. I was amazed but I tried it and it works, the gas company told me about this when they hooked up the gas line.

I too am in the market for either a new range or a wall oven and cooktop so I will be interested in the replies here too. RIght now I have a duel fuel range but mine is only a gas top and electric oven, I'll look into that French range which sounds so interesting and see if it is in the budget.

I am leaning towards a wall over so I don't have to bend down to put things in and out of the oven like I do now but a range can save space.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images