Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: What to do about bell pepper plant???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Silvermist
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9552600

My bell pepper plant has been growing under the shadow of my squash plants literally. I cut some squash leaves to give my bell pepper some sunlight but read that bell pepper often favors being crowded by other plants & the humidity that can come with it (the tropical environment feel)

At this size and time of the year...what is the best thing to do to ensure I get some bell peppers before the growing season is over??? I'm worry that I won't have anything to look forward to. Of all the seeds I sown, only 2 bell pepper plants are surviving.

Thumbnail by Silvermist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9553371

I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Silvermist
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2013
9:27 PM

Post #9554408

HoneybeeNC wrote:I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Those Johnny seeds sound very fascinating, I will have to give them a shot next year. Thanks.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9555090

Here what I have been thought about growing peppers:
"The pepper plants like to hold hands"
So I did in all of those years, I planted them close together, maybe 12" and I found out that in my zone this works great !
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9560933

I think you are doing right to trim just a leaf or two from the squash so the peppers get a bit more light without losing the 'crowded' effect.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America