Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

What to do about bell pepper plant???

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

My bell pepper plant has been growing under the shadow of my squash plants literally. I cut some squash leaves to give my bell pepper some sunlight but read that bell pepper often favors being crowded by other plants & the humidity that can come with it (the tropical environment feel)

At this size and time of the year...what is the best thing to do to ensure I get some bell peppers before the growing season is over??? I'm worry that I won't have anything to look forward to. Of all the seeds I sown, only 2 bell pepper plants are surviving.

Thumbnail by Silvermist
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

Quote from HoneybeeNC :
I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Those Johnny seeds sound very fascinating, I will have to give them a shot next year. Thanks.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here what I have been thought about growing peppers:
"The pepper plants like to hold hands"
So I did in all of those years, I planted them close together, maybe 12" and I found out that in my zone this works great !

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I think you are doing right to trim just a leaf or two from the squash so the peppers get a bit more light without losing the 'crowded' effect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.