What to do about bell pepper plant???

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

My bell pepper plant has been growing under the shadow of my squash plants literally. I cut some squash leaves to give my bell pepper some sunlight but read that bell pepper often favors being crowded by other plants & the humidity that can come with it (the tropical environment feel)

At this size and time of the year...what is the best thing to do to ensure I get some bell peppers before the growing season is over??? I'm worry that I won't have anything to look forward to. Of all the seeds I sown, only 2 bell pepper plants are surviving.

Thumbnail by Silvermist
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

Quote from HoneybeeNC :
I plant peppers about 18" apart so their roots have lots of room to grow. I don't know if this is what's recommended, it's just what I do.

I see you're in zone 9B, which means you have a long growing season. So, in theory, your peppers should produce lots of peppers before cold weather sets in.

I have had the best luck growing "Ace" sweet peppers from Johnny's - they produced so many peppers that I still have lots not only in my freezer, but my daughter's as well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6748-ace-f1.aspx

Those Johnny seeds sound very fascinating, I will have to give them a shot next year. Thanks.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here what I have been thought about growing peppers:
"The pepper plants like to hold hands"
So I did in all of those years, I planted them close together, maybe 12" and I found out that in my zone this works great !

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I think you are doing right to trim just a leaf or two from the squash so the peppers get a bit more light without losing the 'crowded' effect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.