Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Wondering about Foxglove?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9552947

I have a strawberry , only one has done well .
The question is: do I keep trimming the stalks when their done blooming , to keep the plant returning ?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9552991

Strawberry foxglove (Digitalis x mertonensis) is said to be a perennial, so it should keep returning year after year, regardless of whether you cut off flower stalks before or after blooming, or at all. (I haven't found it to be hardy in my yard, so don't have personal experience with it.)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9554211

Lots of people who had this plant (and other perennial ) Foxgloves , say they did not return if left to seed , if the stalks were continually cut after bloom, they say there is a stronger plant as to flowers and eventual return of another season ,
That is and was what I wondering about . When you say no hardiness for you ? I have heard that (or read) that from many from my zone to yours .
The question is because the plant we were(or are) talking about (Foxglove) is suppose to be . (I am aware you know that already) I have heard you prefer the Pentstemon forms of Digitalis ..When you were talking on other threads .
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9554239

Some examples of perennial foxgloves are Digitalis grandiflora, Digitalis lutea, Digitalis lanata, etc. - they are long-lived (here, at least) regardless of whether the flowering stems are cut off before or after blooming or at all. If you're having problems with foxgloves coming back, you might consider avoiding biennial species and ones that are described as "short-lived perennials", and try the ones listed above? (Unfortunately, they are not near as showy as the more desirable but biennial or short-lived ones.)

I don't know what you mean by "Pentstemon forms of Digitalis" (Penstemon and Digitalis are different genera). However, there is a species of Penstemon called Penstemon digitalis (e.g. Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red') - I wonder if that's what you're thinking of? (A nice plant but if I could only pick one Penstemon to grow out of the 270 or so species, it wouldn't be that one!)
Anyway, good luck with the foxgloves.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9554254

Probably thinking about Bearded Penstemon Digitalis something or another , Little lol here memory is not what it could be ,
The only Penstemon I have is Dark Towers and I do not believe it is hardy where you are either , Beautiful plant though .

Goofed,, it says it is hardy where you are ..

This message was edited Jun 10, 2013 10:04 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9554271

I always forget to say something , Alda your alpine natives are wonderful beautiful plants . Are you actually gardening for rare plants or is it the alpine rocky cold zone made it that way for you ..?

Likely something like one of these I was thinking of Penstemon digitalis syn P alluviorum P laevigatus subsp digitalis

This message was edited Jun 10, 2013 10:31 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America