Thumbnail by TPMilo   Thumbnail by TPMilo
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

June 11, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9555012

Looks like Phytolacca Americana, Pokeberry.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/576/
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9563975

I agree with Metro.
plant_it
Valparaiso, IN

June 19, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9564548

If you dig one up and there is a giant tuber under there, I'd say you can rest assured you have a pokeberry. I dug one of mine up last year and a pic of the tuber is attached. They get awesome purple berries in late summer. The birds love them & poop the berries all over so maybe not so good if u have a white car. : )

The list of critters that love this plant is pretty long: American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Mourning Dove, Gray Catbird, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Cardinal, Great-crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, European Starling, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Red Fox, Virginia Opossum, Raccoon, and White-footed Mouse all eat the berries.

I also read that a possible cure for childhood leukemia may be found in the common pokeweed. Not too bad for a weed.

Thumbnail by plant_it
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gimlet7
Sanford, NC

June 19, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9565485

I need help in indentifying an unusual plant. The plant has a flat central stalk about 2 inch's wide about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick with tentacles coming out at the base. It is about four feet high now it has long narrow leaves about 8 inchs long and has yellow flowers with a white center. This is a view of the flowers I will try to send a view of the Plant Later

Thumbnail by gimlet7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9565522

Gimlet, you should post your own thread so more people will view it. I think it may be an Oenthera but I'm not sure whether their is one that blooms low along the stem like that or not.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America