Terrace Park, OH

stem is styrofoam like

Thumbnail by TPMilo Thumbnail by TPMilo
Keaau, HI

Looks like Phytolacca Americana, Pokeberry.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/576/

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

I agree with Metro.

Valparaiso, IN

If you dig one up and there is a giant tuber under there, I'd say you can rest assured you have a pokeberry. I dug one of mine up last year and a pic of the tuber is attached. They get awesome purple berries in late summer. The birds love them & poop the berries all over so maybe not so good if u have a white car. : )

The list of critters that love this plant is pretty long: American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Mourning Dove, Gray Catbird, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Cardinal, Great-crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, European Starling, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Red Fox, Virginia Opossum, Raccoon, and White-footed Mouse all eat the berries.

I also read that a possible cure for childhood leukemia may be found in the common pokeweed. Not too bad for a weed.

Thumbnail by plant_it
Sanford, NC

I need help in indentifying an unusual plant. The plant has a flat central stalk about 2 inch's wide about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick with tentacles coming out at the base. It is about four feet high now it has long narrow leaves about 8 inchs long and has yellow flowers with a white center. This is a view of the flowers I will try to send a view of the Plant Later

Thumbnail by gimlet7
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Gimlet, you should post your own thread so more people will view it. I think it may be an Oenthera but I'm not sure whether their is one that blooms low along the stem like that or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images