Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: artic lilies

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joerog
Georgetown, KY

June 11, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9554996

my lilies bloom blood red. how come I can not find that color artic lily any where ? I live in and around center of Kentucky just north of Lexington. every year for the past 2 year I have gotten at least two more lilies come up from the spot I moved them from, and at couple more where I trans planted them to. I started with 5, now I have about 12. my question is after they flower can I cut dead flower off? will they flower a second time?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9555080

I've never heard of an "artic" Lily

Are you talking about Asiatic lilies?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9555104

Have a look at these links and see if these are the type of lilies you have

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/asiatic_orange-red_1.html

http://www.growingcolors.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/typeID/19/index.htm
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 11, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9555106

Some lilies produce tiny little bulblet's at each leaf axle, these tiny bulbs when ripe, fall from the stem /leaf axle and drop onto the soil, they then start to grow a complete new plant the exact same as the parent plant it dropped from.

Other Lilies and many other bulbs have a different reproduction system and produce the little bulblet's at the base of the parent bulb, so when you lift the bulbs out from the soil there will be some little bulblet's left in the ground where they grow onto make more replica bulbs like the parent bulb.

Other lilies produce more bulbs just under the top soil when you remove some soil there is new roots showing on the old dried stem, these if left alone will reproduce new lilies but they then have to develop the bulb after flowering but the stems are left in place.

Most of the lilies in cultivation can be grown from scales, that is to remove a piece (like layers from an onion) pop the scales into a clear plastic poly bag to which you have already made up a mix of sand (horticultural sand from garden store) a little compost or peat-moss, place the bag in the fridge and don't allow the poly bag to be shaken or disturbed, after a few weeks, maybe a little longer, you will notice small hair-like roots appear from each scale, leave for a few more weeks and when the roots are large enough to be re-potted into nice fresh sandy compose mix as before and grow on, don't over water but don't allow to dry out, once you see green top growth then you could either keep inside for winter or plant outside in a very sheltered place depending on your winter temps.

Nature can be quite complicated when you think about it and there are many, many ways different plants develop reproduction and not always from seeds., roots or layering, its fun to learn some different ways to propogate to increace your plant stock or just for the enjoyment as you can give admired plants away as gifts.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Best regards, WeeNel.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 11, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9555789

There's no reason to cut off the spent flowers as it will not cause them to rebloom. And if you were inclined to cut off the spent flowers anyway (for who knows what motivation), don't cut off the leafy stems - the plant needs these to photosynthesize and remain healthy.
If you are saying that more lilies grew from the place where you thought you'd removed the bulbs, the causes would be:
- you didn't actually remove all the bulbs, perhaps missing some small offset bulbs that remained in the soil and grew;
- scales were broken off some bulbs and grew into flowering plants;
- more plants grew from seed, or,
- if your lilies are ones that produce bulbils (round dark balls in the leaf axils), these fell to the ground and produced clones of your original bulbs.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 12, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9556707

The best way to get all bulbs to take their energy back down to the bulb for next years growth and flowering stems, is to remove the flower-heads only, leave all the other greenery in place as when this decays it goes it helps feed the bulbs.
When the flowers have gone brown or dropping petals, removal of these dying flowers prevents the bulb continuing to use energy making seed that you don't require as with lilies, you get new bulbs faster from the above mentioned little bulblet's or scales reproduction. AND these will be the exact same as the parent plant and can flower within 2-3 years.
Seeds alone can take that long for some lilies to germinate and grow a tiny bit of greenery like grass stems. But it's all a matter of preference for each individual gardener. There are no rules that say you have to remove the flower-heads or not, just depends on your own methods of reproduction.
Hope this is helpful.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America