Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Someone is munching on my Cherry tomatoes. Help!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 21, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

June 11, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9555743

Hello,

I planted some cherry tomatoes a few months ago. They were doing great. Then this evening I got a shock.

Surprisingly, all the leaves at the top of the plant disappeared. Just like that. In one afternoon. They were nice and healthy in the morning, and no longer there in the afternoon. And several young tomatoes have been chewed into, not all the way, but atleast through the ski, as if they have been nibbled on.

The plant and fruits lower down are intact. None of the other plants in the patch are touched (yet!).

Is this a bird? A rabbit? Something else?

Please help!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9556041

Look for these guys hiding in the foliage. Tomato hornworm http://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=tomato hornworm&oq=tomato hornworm&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.1890.4813.0.5191.15.10.0.0.0.1.1628.5221.6-1j1j2.4.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.YkTDnVtAp4Q&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47810305,d.dmg&fp=3772088487588a65&biw=1708&bih=766

They start out small and grow quite large while dining on your foliage and tomatoes. Good luck

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9556249

Look for the castings (poops) and you will find the criminal.
Sometimes they are hanging upside down, so if you kneel down and look up you might find them.
Good luck

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9556513

They start at the uppermost branches that can hold their weight, and then they eat their way down the branch until nothing is left but the stem. Then they start all over, on another branch...

That's why you see it happening at the top first. Look closely at the very tips of your top branches, and follow each one down the stem very carefully. Harry is a master of disguise, and will freeze like a popsicle when you approach, so he's harder to spot. But, he's there, LOL!

P.S. Consider the poop. The larger the poop pellets, the larger the hornworm! I've pulled 'em off thick as my thumbs! But, they're harmless, and will hold on for dear life. But yank 'em. They'll either play dead in your hand, or wiggle and click and try to puff up to startle you into dropping him. Don't go for that! Hold on!

And, consider being kind and just chucking him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across your fence somewhere. Your season will be over by the time he crawls back over the fence. Or, an eagle eyed bird will take him to the land of the Hornworms!

LOL!!!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9556607

If your symptoms are as Gymgirl described, you probably have tomato hornworms. If the stems and leaves are gone, perhaps you have deer. They like to nibble off the tops of plants.
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

June 16, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9560772

Hey all

Many thanks for your comments.

I've looked left, right, center, and under, standing, bending and on knees. If these guys are there, they are doing a darn good job at staying hidden. In the meantime, the one proud cherry tomato plant continues to get bludgeoned.

I'm attaching a photograph of a nibbled cherry that I spotted today morning. Would this be the kind of damage these creatures cause?

Thanks again to all

Thumbnail by Megamunchers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

June 16, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9560983

Folks,

I got a rather strange advice from Home Depot today. Their conclusion is that birds are are eating into the young tomatoes and advised I get a decoy owl to fix the issue. Is this possible? Birds pecking on young tomatoes?

Thanks
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9560992

Here we had to erect a "room" covered with bird's mesh in the vegetable garden's tomato area so the crows wouldn't attack the tomatoes so it definitely is possible.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KathyWid
Clover, SC

June 16, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9561072

Could be birds. Here's a page that helps explain how to handle birds that munch on tomatoes.
http://www.tomatodirt.com/birds-sparrows-are-eating-both-ripe-and-green-tomatoes.html
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9561596

Odd for birds to eat the leaves, though. Especially in the pattern that so closely matches the damage done by hornworms.

While a mesh can keep out the birds, the hornworms are now inside the mesh with the tomatoes, and the beneficial birds that might have hunted the hornworms cannot get in. Go hunting with some scissors or pruning shears. Yes, they are masters of disguise.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9561658

I agree Diana ~ birds will go after the tomatoes but it is unlikely for the foliage to 'disappear' due to birds. Guess the birds could have eaten the hornworms too?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9561721

Did you ever see any poop on the leaves below the damaged foliage? I agree you have more then one issue. Bird will eat the fruit, a few things will eat the leaves. Tomato worms being at the top of the list. I have 2 plants ( out of 70 +) that have poop on the leaves. I found one small hornworm but due to the size of the poop they are getting bigger. The bigger they are the harder it is to pull them off, yuck!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9561913

On a very calm day you can stare at a tomato plant and when you spot motion of the leaves it is a tip as to where to look for them but they are masters of camouflage and repulsive to yank off - wear gloves.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9561985

I've not known birds to eat tomato leaves, but they do peck at ripe tomatoes. Squirrels are huge pests, but they usually prefer ripe tomatoes.

If you've seen wasps (not bees) buzzing around your tomato plants, they may have carried away any caterpillars you might have had.

I've used bird netting in the past, but will NEVER do so again. Two beautiful, harmless snakes got caught up in the netting, plus it trapped birds that I had great difficulty in releasing. I've also tried hanging CD's to frighten birds. After awhile the birds ignored them, but not until a huge build-up of aphids took over. Carolina Chickadees love to eat aphids, and they teach their babies where to find them.

My organic approach to gardening is to plant more than I expect to eat. I've been doing it this way for sixty years.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2013
11:29 PM

Post #9564531

It's always windy here at least some breeze. Will red wasps take hornworms? I spotted a small hornworm first thing this morning but I don't see damage, just poop, so I'm not worried about it. I won't use the bird netting either for exactly the same reason, Honey. Too bad your husband ate some of the extra tomatoes you put out. Lol I think that's so funny, he was dumpster diving in his own yard!

I consider myself very fortunate that birds have never been a problem with any of my produce. Maybe it's my cats, I won't tell the birds that the cats are useless.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9564668

Lisa - according to this link, red wasps will prey on caterpillars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polistes_annularis

I don't think I've ever seen a red wasp. The ones that frequent my garden are black.

It's great that they prey on caterpillars, but not so great when I get too close to their nest and get stung!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9565712

I did not know that. That explains why I see so many red wasps in my gardens. I wondered what they were doing there. We have jillions of them. Thank you!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9566007

Lisa - most bees and wasps are beneficial insects. I like watching wasps cruising the garden, they are much better than I at finding caterpillars. Wish they would find the svc's before they burrow into stems.
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

June 24, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9571024

Hello All.

A decoy owl has kept relentless vigil over my vegetable garden for nearly a week now. My tomatoes have remained untained over that period. All appears well for now (i.e. atleast till the birds get smarter, which I figure they will).

My take on it all is that I indeed did have a hornworm issue (you all nailed that one), which attracted the birds, who then started picking on the tomatoes after taking care of the worms (I've stared at the shrub for hours to look for these). The foliage is coming back, and the tomatoes are definitely healthier.

Or maybe I have yet to learn more ...

Thanks to all for your input.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9572129

you might want to reposition the owl every few days or the birds will get used to it not moving.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9579519

Honey-I never knew the red wasps were beneficial insects but they never bother me so i never bother them...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9579859

Quoting: they never bother me so i never bother them...

This is my approach to most things, too, Lisa. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America