Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Ok here is another one I need help with identifying

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cindee514
Fairview, OR

June 11, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9555765

Ok here is another one for you. I have this tree growing in my yard. It's been there for about three years now. Every year it grows straight up about 3 feet. It grows a bunch of branches out the top of the main shoot. Each branch has about 17 smooth green leaves, one across from the other one. With a leave at the end. The branches turn yellow and fall off every winter. It does not flower and has not grown any fruit on it as of yet. When the branches fall off the main the main stem, it leaves a kinda upside down triangle. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cindee514
Fairview, OR

June 11, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9555768

Here are a couple more pics

Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   Thumbnail by Cindee514   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9555809

What you are calling "Branch" and "Leaves" are actually a single leaf, a pinnate, compound leaf.
The 'Branch' is the rachis, like the main rib of a leaf, and the 'leaves' are actually leaflets.

Anyway, Ash trees (Fraxinus species) will shed leaving a noticeable scar as in your pictures.

There is an Ash native to Oregon, and there are several species of Ash grown as shade trees. Most Ash will readily reseed, and the seeds can sail through the air for surprising distances.
Look up Fraxinus latifolia for the native.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9556850

Looks like a sumac to me.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9560482

Not an Ash species (Fraxinus sp.), as that genus of plants has opposite arrangement of pinnately compound foliage.

I could land in the Sumac (Rhus sp.) camp, if I wasn't suspicious of this beast being a Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima).

Snap a piece off, and see if it doesn't have an acrid "stink" to the broken stem/branch.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

June 23, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9570611

Chinese Pistache????

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America