Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 12, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9556093

I don't count how many different birds I see even still I always get a thrill when I see a bird I have never seen before. Yesterday I got that thrill twice. On a trip to Valley Forge PA I saw my first ever Oriole. Such an eye catching Beautiful Bird. No photos I was to busy admiring to grab my camera. The other bird I got a few photos but they are blurry even with the bird just sitting perfectly still on the fence just posing. I looked it up when I got home a "Brown Headed Cow Bird. The chocolate brown head looked so velvety soft.

Thumbnail by Joeyk210
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 13, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9557810

I don't care for cow birds as they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. We seem to have a pair around here this yr.

Looked out the window at our tulip tree & an oriole was working over a low branch. they seem to like tulip poplars, but I had not seen one this year. I hope that he returns.
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 14, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9558486

I had never seen either bird before. There were a lot of Tulip trees in the park . The Oriole was so pretty.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 14, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9558576

I don't know the fascination for tulip trees. We had several when we lived in CT 40 years ago & had the orioles every summer. We planted on here & the orioles come. Special tasting bugs? I don't know. I am glad that the one I saw was the male so an easy ID. & perhaps he will return.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 15, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9560106

More excitement: yesterday a small black & white bird was trying to keep its balance on the tube feeder. It would have done better, one hole down. Turned out that it was a rose breasted grosbeak. I had never seen one before. DH looked at the photo of the female & realized that he saw one. (looks like a big sparrow with brown & white stripes on the head). So we have an active pair. they were back today, so must be nesting closeby.
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 16, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9561499

very cool. I had to go look the bird up but still cool.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 16, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9561614

We have the R.T. Peterson bird guides, but I used a 'Birds of Massachusets' book which ID by color & is quicker to use.
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 17, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9561972

I have R T Peterson,and Reader's Digest Book of North American Birds.I like them both for different reasons. I like the photos for identification better in R T and the wealth of information in the Reader's Digest is great.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America