-
AuthorContent
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9556132

I have red spots on my pentemon (Dark Tower) that seem to have popped up overnight. Any ideas, guys? Thanks.

Thumbnail by keanl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 12, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9556734

At first I thought of a disease called Rust and as the name suggests, it is orange/red colour but normally a powdery coating and it is much more evident that what you show,
Looking at some of the spots on the foliage it looks like a little bug that either sucks the foliage OR makes a tiny hole in the foliage and lays an egg and the resulting red mark is the grub laid between layers of leaf foliage, it then eats away the leaf.

IF you can, remove one of the damaged leaves, take it over a sheet of kitchen paper and try either cut through a red dot or use a really sharp knife the lift the scale out and separate it to see what's held within the little red circle. that may give you a better clue as to what you are trying to rid the plant with.
There will be lot's of sprays or whatever that can help but, if you dont know what exactly it is then you could buy several sprays and still have a problem.
It may be that at the end of the day all you need do is remove the damaged foliage and burn it or just leave it alone as there is no REAL problem but until you know by elimination you cant try anything.
Hope this is helpful. Best regards. WeeNel.
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9557489

Thanks, WeeNel.
I tried cutting into the spots and could not tell what they were. I took some addition views of the underside. Maybe that will help with the id. It has spread to a large number of leaves.

Thumbnail by keanl   Thumbnail by keanl   Thumbnail by keanl      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9558777

I think this is rust and I have treated plant with a fungicide. Hope this works.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9558798

Keanl, leafspot is a pretty common disorder among Penstemon, either Cercospora or Septoria spp. a good fungicide is the treatment for it, the same as treating for rust.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2823&q=377868

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5844068_penstemon-leaf-diseases.html
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9558847

Thanks. I have had this plant for 2 years and have successfully fought off aphids. This year it really got big. These spots were a real surprise because they popped up so fast. I will add these links to my plant database.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9558941

You are most welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America