Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Sow Now?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9556951

So, I'm craving more perennials and I haven't got the money to buy all the plants I want. So I have been reading in the thread to learn how to grow more of them myself. I have started veggies and annuals from seed, but not perennials. I'm curious if I buy seeds now, and throw them in the garden (where I want them) if they will grow. I'm looking at a bunch of seeds being sold by Parks Seed. Like Palace Purple Huechera, Echinacea, Lupine, delosperma, Shasta Daisy... etc. Do they have to go into a cold cycle before I throw them in the ground? So would I have to wait till next year to Winter Sow? If I do have to wait to plant them... would you recommend buying the seeds now, or waiting until next fall?
Thanks!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

June 13, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9557134

This is zone 3 so our growing season is shorter than yours.
Throwing expensive perennial seeds on the ground might waste some.
You could sow them into milk jugs as they do for WS. Then they would be
protected. If they all do not germinate over the summer, then you could let them sit over winter.
Some perennials need that cold period in order to germinate.
Look up the perennials, which you are interested in growing, in one of the data bases.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9559163

Usually if you are sowing things this year for next year, you would wait until late summer/early fall, August-October. Or you could wait until late winter/early spring, Feb-March. We usually have some open weather here where we can sow seeds in February - but if you have solid snow cover, early fall might be best. It helps if the seed is fresh, so don't buy it now and forget it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America