Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: no radishes

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 22, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9556984

I planted my radishes in early March & have been checking them every 10 days or so since the 45th day when the seed packet said 2 harvest but none ever made radishes. The leaves on top got big & bushy & the roots look long but that's it. I've attached pics so if any1 can tell me where I went awry I'd like to try again. Thanks.

Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
12:44 AM

Post #9557087

First what kind are they and why aren't you posting on the veggie forum? Don't you have a subscription now? Lol. They are a cool weather crop so its too late for radishes but I'm still wondering what kind they are?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9557159

Concur: Variety is very important. 45 day DTM would indicate a winter radish. Most standard European radishes planted in March shoul be ready in April. They are a cool weather crop so depending on where you are in Florida it may be too hot. Most of Florida south of the panhandle, they would be a winter crop.
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9557682

No idea. The Walmart packet kind??? This is my 1st garden & 1 of the many lessons I.ve learned for next year is to record the variety from the seed packet. I just bought packets & planted them...then forgot what went where. I was so excited cuz the leaves of all my radishes were so big & bushy I thought I was becoming a garden ninja. Apparently not so much :( . Is there a different vegetable forum I should be on? I'm still learning to navigate dg

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9557686

brownthumb78
In my zone I plant radishes in the fall. If I'd planted at the same time you did I would have the same result.
When it is so hot the radish makes only leaves and it want to bolt (=flower).
Try again in the cooler weather.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9557690

brownthumb78
you are in the correct forum. Also, radishes growing in the extreme heat will turn really spicy ... puh puh
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9557735

OK. When I planted them I didn't know there were cool/warm weather crops. I thought I could just plant a seed & it would grow. Anytime. Anywhere. Another lesson learned! So just to be sure, I should try the radishes again in the fall? I.d really like to grow them successfully
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9557800

Yes try them again in the fall. You don't have to be on another forum but as a paid subscriber you have access to more forums.

If you go to the top of this page you will find Communities. Click on that and you should see a huge list of other forums. Just click on any you wish to see. You can also click on the forums you want to "watch".

Drthor is right. Radishes grown in hot weather taste terrible, really hot.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9557803

You are so funny!
I have been growing vegetables for 5 years in Dallas and I found out that the key of success is to know when to seed each crop.
When you will find out the best time of the year to plant you will be successful.
Here I plant all the greens in the fall/winter (lettuce, kale, collards. broccoli, cauliflowers, kohlrabi, radishes and carrots)
A good source for these information is your local farmers market. Ask them when they grow "outside" each crop.
Good luck.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9558055

I planted some "Daikon" radishes at the worng timee, and the roots looked like hairs instead of carrots.

But I l;et them bloom (pretty!) and put out seed pods. I saved a lot of seeds, but seem to have misplaced them!

Anyway, someone told me that you can EAT radish pods, and they were very good, medium spicy.

Maybe if you let your go, they will put out pods.

Plants are amazingly complicated. Think of it as a "plus" - there's always more to learn. Sometimes cheap seed packets don't have very detailed instructions. My guess is that many people think that a packet with five lines of text must be harder to grow than a packet with one line.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9558223

yes you can eat radishes pods ... but they are spicy.
or you can grow "RAT TAIL" radishes and eat these pods which are much longer ... again spicy if the weather is hot.

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9558272

drthor - how are they marked by the seed companies? Are they called "Radish pods"? I'd be curious to try them. Thanks.
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9558385

This might sound dumb but what are pods & what do they look like?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9558515

brownthumb78
the pods look like the one in the pictures I just posted.

pirl
here some Radish Tail Seeds (aka rat tail) http://www.rareseeds.com/rat-s-tail-rad/
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9558525

I didn't even get any pods. All I got was some floppy leaves & some sparse, stringy roots. At this point I.d b overjoyed with pods. If I leave the roots in the ground will they (maybe) make pods?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9558538

I don't know ... probably the aphids will arrive and kill the plant. Don't waist your time.
Here is a good help for you: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-InteractiveTools.aspx

and click on FALL-PLANTING CALCULATOR This spreadsheet calculator works backward from your first frost date to determine the date to start seeds for crops that will mature as it gets cold. (.xls spreadsheet file)

You will download a file. You need to add your last frost date and automatically it will give you all the "suggested" planting dates for your fall crop.
I think this will help you to understand dates ... after you will have some experience you by yourself figure it out what to do.

I do believe that our DNA has all of these information ... we just lost them through evolution and industrialization and commodities ... it is amazing ... now for me it just comes so easy ... it will be the same for you.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9558621

Thank you, drthor!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9562359

The pods are seed pods, and they come after the flowers. You gave ti eat them before the seeds get hard - the young small pods are most tender.

If you leave some pods on the plant for weeks, they will mature and then dry out. If you bag them or pick them before they split open, you'll have lots of seeds for next year (assuming it is an OP variety of radishes, not an F1 hybrid variety)..
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2013
2:19 AM

Post #9563056

Drthor thank u for the spreadsheet idea. I can definitely use that. After I posted this I realized I've had similar problems with all my underground veggies. My onions, carrots, & beets all either started to grow then died or looked like they were growing nicely but had nothing developing under the soil. I've gotten some feedback from others in my area & we r all having the same issues. Would growing in pots (maybe even indoors) be better?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9563116

you are so funny ! are your pots cooler?
you need to look at the seed's temperature of germination
Ex, Google lettuce germination temperature and it will say F65-75 (I just writing down a number) ... This is an average temperature ... it could be off from few degrees depending on the variety ... but you are successful if you will understand temperature and time of the year to plant your seeds.

I still have a house in Longboat Key , by Sarasota, and I follow their gardening forums (just in case I will move back there - we loved living in FL).
When I go there on October, at the Farmers market they sell tomato and pepper and eggplants plants. So they grow them in the winter months. I grow them in the spring /summer here in Dallas.

I really think it could be helpful or talk with some of the growers at the market and find out their schedule.
But definitely grow all your greens and roots vegetable in the fall and winter. Some vegetables, like broccoli, they taste better after a frost.

Good luck and keep trying.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9563765

By the way, chuckle, there are a great many types of radishes... red globe, icicle, Daikon... In Fl you could prob start them ABOUT the end of hurricane season, LOOK for warm season varieties to plant before you buy them, you cant trust what is sold to meet your needs where you are.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9563993

The radishes with a longer DTM are usually winter radishes and their development is influenced by the shorting day lengths. But either way radishes are cool weather crops.

You may also want to check with the county extention agency. Or even google "plant out dates" for your area. Even then, the dates are approximations. But a great place to start.
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9565276

Cool beans. I'll check in with both the farmers market & the extension office & hopefully have a better outcome

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America