-
AuthorContent
WanderingBrett
Ballard, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2013
1:01 AM

Post #9558414

I have a very large tree that noone seems to be able to agree upon what it actually is...it is about 60 years old and 60 feet tall with a perfect round dome shape and large trunk (see pic below - it is the very large round tree at the end of the driveway...there is a mimosa tree and oak trees in the foreground but the one I need to identify is the big tall round one in the middle distance of the pic).

Some info that I have observed.
It is decidous.

It starts its leaf out early in the spring with a mass of very small flower clusters that hang from the branches in multiple clumps. These small-flowered clumps are yellowish with very long thin stems and drop (much like the Mimosa Tree flowers) to the detriment of anything below or around it (See pic below of flower clumps).

It has large mapleish leaves (see pic of my hand and leaf) that follow the flowering and provide a mass of shade. Yes, obviously it could be some type of maple but I am trying to narrow it down further than that.

Suckers grow from the entire trunk but can be easily removed by simply snipping or snapping off (dark pic of trunk shows sucker growth).

Leaves turn to bright yellow in early autumn.

I do not have great pics of it but I will add what I have and hope it's enough to go by. Any suggestions would allow me to try and compare pics from Daves Garden and my tree to see if I can find a match.

Thank you

Thumbnail by WanderingBrett   Thumbnail by WanderingBrett   Thumbnail by WanderingBrett   Thumbnail by WanderingBrett
Click an image for an enlarged view.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
2:01 AM

Post #9558435

Bigtooth mapes are common in the west. See if you can find details about them and compare them to your tree. Take samples to your Agric Extension Service (ask if they can help identify it) or go here:

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whatTree/
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9558447

Maybe Acer negundo
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

June 14, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9558594

I agree with A. negundo - "box elder"

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9558785

Manitoba Maple, the Californian subspecies Acer negundo subsp. californicum

Resin
WanderingBrett
Ballard, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9558997

Acer negundo var. violaceum is what it looks like, but the long thin flower stems are yellow rather than purple...but I can't find any that have the yellow color...will keep looking
WanderingBrett
Ballard, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9559005

It is Acer negundo californicum...thank you all for your help

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America