Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This plant sprouted up in a pot of brain cactus as a tiny two leafed plant. I repotted it and it has grown into what you see. It just recently started getting the narrow red fuzzy bit in the middle. I've never seen a plant like it and need help to identify what it is so I can make sure I know the best ways to care for it. Thanks for your info and help!

I'll also be posting another mystery plant that popped up wild and need help with identifying it also. Thanks again!

Thumbnail by MystiqueUnique Thumbnail by MystiqueUnique
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Two plants come to mind at first glance…Chenille plant, and Celosia. Maybe?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks tlm1. I looked both of the plants up that came to your mind but I don't think mine is either one. The red in the center of mine isn't hanging down off the plant nor is it growing straight above the plant. The red part on mine is fuzzy but firm and is one peice the length of the plants upper stalk between leaves. The leaves also have a shimmer to them like they have bits of tiny glitter on them.
Thank you for posting so quickly with ideas and if any other plants come to mind let me know. I really appreciate it!

San Francisco, CA

Looks like "celosia" to me. Another candidate would be Amaranthus, but the leaves aren't right for that.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. I still don't think it's any of the plants y'all have mentioned since the fuzzy part is fixed and isn't in multiple blooms. I've looked online to compare but it doesn't appear to be a celosia,chenille, or amaranth.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Heck with the plant (though my vote is with Celosia) - I want those handsome pots!

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

It sure does look like amaranth. We're growing several varieties here, which we started inside in early spring, and it's just a bit behind those plants.
I couldn't tell you the variety for sure but it is nearly identical in color and form to our Love-lies-bleeding plants.

I like the pots too!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2013 5:32 PM

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

My vote is for Celosia....and I too love the containers..

http://wearegrowingup.com/tag/celosia/

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Look at Celosia CRISTATA - It is the one with the single mutant flower in the middle.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I'm also still leaning to Celosia…Many varieties out there…Ditto on the container…Love that.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

I guess we'll need to wait and see what the flowers show. Amaranthaceae family seems to be the common ground, but which one?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

It's a Celosia.

Winnsboro, SC(Zone 8a)

I have these in my yard too and every year I have so many pop up I just pull them out and toss them... but this is the info I have

Cockscomb, Celosia cristata, traditionally grown in the red variety, also blooms in the colors of yellow, pink, orange and white

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all the help and replies. I will post another picture of the plant after it matures more. The pots pictured are vintage for those who liked them.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 1:37 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.