Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 14, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9558828

I started these in my kitchen window three or four years ago, last year were the first blooms, but the heat here is not tolerable for them and they did not produce seeds in full sun last year. So, this year DH moved the 15 gallon pot I under the fruitless mulberry tree in dappled shade and you can see how healthy it looks now, and it is blooming too. I hope this year I get seeds from this one. I love it.

Thank you Jackie..

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd
Click an image for an enlarged view.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9558911

A, you are so welcome. Beautiful blooms and so good to see them blooming so well
there in N. Mexico. You will probably get sds now although it does take a while
Mine should be blooming in a week or so and I'll share your thread. :-)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 12:42 AM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 14, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9558931

Than you! Jackie have you fed yours, maybe I should give it just a little since it is potted up.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9559040

A, someone told me not to feed them since they are true perennials. Mine seem to bloom just fine without any food but mine is in the ground.
Maybe yours would benefit from a light feeding since its in a pot.
Wouldn't hurt to try.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2013 2:37 AM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 15, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9560421

Thank you, I fed them this AM. We will see how long they bloom, so far all the spent flowers have turned yellow and fallen off. Maybe it will take a week or more for it to recuperate under the tree. Thanks for everything.
A.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9560544

A, hope you'll see seeds forming soon. Sometimes I get better sd formation (on the pandy) in the fall after it cools down, maybe you will too. :-)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9562384

A, was so happy to see my pandy open this morning. The vine itself is huge this yr and still growing.

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie         

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 17, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9562621

It rained some today and its a bit cooler, maybe that will be enough to for seeds.

Yours looks pretty good!

A.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
10:59 PM

Post #9563006

Thanks A.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9570002

Had this strange insect visitor again this yr. This is only the 2nd time I've ever seen one.
My blooms are just starting to appear one by one. :-)

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 23, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9570195

I wonder what insect that is. So far, mine have dropped all the flower buds it had prior to moving it. Noe it is getting new tiny buds and the spent blooms have stayed on from yesterday's flowers.

Mine has been blooming for two months, I hope it doesn't stop yet. Your is looking good!

Here is Old Yella hardy hib, not yellow though, I don't know if I sent you seeds for this one or not. And a neat passie, more Hibs,

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2013
10:14 PM

Post #9570667

A, glad your pandy is forming new buds. Mine is late blooming this yr by 2 weeks. The extra long cold winter
was the culprit.
Love your Passi and Hibiscus. I didn't do good trying to germinate the Hibiscus sds you shared with me
but I want to try again.
Someone Id'd the bug last yr when he first showed up but I've got to find the post again. A pretty bug with some red but not a good one as I recall.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

June 24, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9571221

I saw these 2 blooms from the roadside where I got mine plants. The rain kind of damaged the blooms and I'm sure they'll be mowing it all down soon since the property next to it is for sale too. I stopped to take pictures of it and this yellow flower.

I don't see any buds on mine yet and the leaves don't look good either.

A. glad you are getting pretty blooms. Nice blooms too Jackie.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh         

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 24, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9571253

Ooh, you need to get seeds or cutting, I thinknthat yellow one is cotton.. Helena do you by chance have any seeds from your pandy? I'm getting seeds on this clematis and am wondering if any of you want to trade Clem seeds, the princess Dianabi have is not making seeds, but the other two are much to my delight..

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9571363

Helena, The yellow does resemble the cotton bloom. Looks like Okra too, maybe Abelmoschus, all
in the Hibiscus family

Love your Clematis blooms A. I still have lots of pandy sds if you want more. No one has asked for any sds
in a long time, My pandy plant was grown from seeds that were 6 yrs old. :-) So they are viable
for a long time.
Helena, something after my pandy too the last 2 or 3 yrs. Mine is so huge now though, that they have little effect on it.
Growing out into my path and on the opposite side of the fence in the dogs yard. It has spread more than 6 feet from my original planting but 6 feet in any direction it wants to. I hope your pandy sets buds soon.

In full bloom July 2011

Thumbnail by patootie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 24, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9571423

Jackie save me some in case mine ont form seeds. I want to sow them along our chain link fence . I tried some coral vine seeds but the didn't come up, so I am hoping these will.

Wow on those flowers, I want to let you guys know that the I. Platensis I started from cuttings formed some tubers and you can't tell the difference from the mother plants. I'm beginning to think that is how they propagate this one and not from seed. They have been blooming but no seeds on any of them and I have them where the ants are, I think the ants are too big and I need those tiny tiny ones.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

June 24, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9571437

A. I probably need to go and pluck a couple of those plants up before they get mowed. I do think they might be okra. I tried looking the name of it before and thought it was in the mallow family. It kind of grows wild along the ditches down here.

A. my pandy did not make any seeds last year, it didn't bloom much either. Had the same problem with the leaves looking bad. It hasn't bloomed yet either but I'll be looking to see if I see any buds.

Beautiful clematis blooms A.

Your pandy looks gorgeous Jackie.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9573177

A, saving you and Helena some sds. I have plenty to share. Thought I had answered this but lose track when my kids
take over my computer. They don't bother to tell memaw that I didn't finish my post and I know I had almost completed it.
Shame on them as good as I am to them buying them whatever they want, within reason, and letting them go to town with me. Even their papaw isn't brave enough to head to town with 3 kids in tow, what a handful!!!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9575826

For A's thread, a pic of my variegated pandy.

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie      

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 27, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9575915

Look at all those buds! Thanks Helena and Jackie. Mi thing there might be a couple of seed pods that are forming. It took a week or more for it to get acclimated to semi shade instead of full sun. It will bloom a lot in full sun, but the pollen dries out too fast I think.. Anyone know what pollinates this one?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9576048

A, bumble bees are on mine but very few of those lately. I'm not getting up early enough to even see them,
I never see honeybees anymore.
No buds showing on the varieg pandy above. That's a smaller runner of pandy and if it blooms will be later towards fall.
Here is a shot of pandy walking across my pathway ,coming down from the fence. The main part of the vine on the fence is loaded with buds, usually in large clusters.
If you look really close at the last pic, you can see all the buds above the foliage

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie      

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 27, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9576098

Jackie, I was so excited that I did not notice the variegation . Is that a sport growing or from a separate vine? Very Nice!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2013
10:56 PM

Post #9576500

A, it seems to be a separate vine. I don't know if it came from a dropped sd that sprouted
or an extra tuber that might have formed.
I should have already dug a stem up so I can see whats going on for sure.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2013 1:00 AM
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

June 29, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9578628

Spotted some more pandys growing in another section of town.

The last 2 pics are from the road that I use all the time. I do enjoy seeing them blooming.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9578837

Those are beautiful Helena. Lovely pics too from a phone cam.

The jury still out on my new camera. I may have to return this one and get the more expensive Sony.
Not too impressed with these pics.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 29, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9579491

Jackie if you should dig up the tuber, please take a photo of it if you can.

Helena, those look great. I have not seen any at all in NM, I wonder if the tractors mow them down or if they just don't grow around here. I will take some cuttings from mine just to try rooting. I am going to try several different ways to root. In a zip lock bag, in perlite, and in soilless mix, water and in rock wool cubes. I already started with some Hibs, confederate rose, I. Indica, and p. vitifolia. Tis week will be cutting taking week. So, ill give Panduratas a try too...

A.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2013
10:26 PM

Post #9579558

A, I hope one of those ways works for you. I had only tried rooting in a fresh cup of water with no luck at all.
If I get to dig one up, will take a pic to share...
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 1, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9582764

I think I may have a couple of seed pods!, now I plan to feed this more hopefully get more seeds. I don't know if you can see the seed pods or not. I should know,in a week or so if,they stay on.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9583503

A, Keeping my fingers crossed that they stay on to maturity. :-)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 4, 2013
9:14 PM

Post #9587202

Me too, thanks Jackie. Ill keep you posted. Happy Fourth!

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
11:03 PM

Post #9587237

Lovely blooms A. Indica and platensis?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 5, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9587473

Yes, you are good! I guess I better get out there and fertilize today before it gets too hot,. My pandy has very few buds.

Have a few blooms of heavenly blues already. From reseeded plants. The wedding bell seedlings are so small, I think I started them too late. They don't even have true leaves yet. I'm hoping they take off soon.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 8:00 AM
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9587863

A, my Wedding Bells wasn't growing either. (I wonder if there was an issue with our seeds)...So I pulled it up and planted it in one of the lg tubs with Fertilome, a potting mix. I;m going to feed them too. Try feeding them just a little on a regular basis and see
if that jump starts them.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9589147

A. I went and checked my WB, it has doubled in size since I relocated it to a large container in good potting mix. So
very hopeful that I will get blooms and seeds. :-)
You might move one or more of your WB seedlings to pot culture.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9590948

Mine are in the ground but have been real slow I've got three growing. Next year ill start them earlier. I've got some moon flowers going too, but they are slow pokes also.

Look at photo two, the rays coming through to Blue Dawn mg, isn't that something? Blackie Barajas is the last one.,and the first one is heavenly blue.

Moy Grande hibiscus mochetos bloomed.. So I used the photo as my avatar... I missed the first bloom, these are the second flowers to open.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
12:32 AM

Post #9590997

Oh my gosh, beautiful blooms A.
The 2nd pic with the rays shining thru is really special, a great photo. Beautiful Hibiscus and
Sweet Potato,
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2013

Post #9595464

A couple of pandy shots this morning

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9601712

real beautys here, and I have to show you something A..
this was in June, it is even taller now.. remember you sent it to me?
and Jackie, guess what.. I have a blooming pandy, just do not know if it is in the ground or in a pot, everything is so mixed up out there.. will get a pic of it I promise.. meanwhile, my milkweeds are going to town..
have more, but on the camera...

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2013
11:45 PM

Post #9601858

Lovely blooms Debra. Looking forward to your pandy blooms.

Thumbnail by patootie

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9606202

Look at the shape of these pandy blooms.

Rest of the blooms were shaped as usual.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 21, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9607586

I like those petals on your pandy jackie.

Deborah, that grass looks good, you can leave it in the ground in your zone. We had to pull most of mine out, it was taking over one bed and it was scaring me at how fast it was growing. Just like bamboo .

That fourth photo is an arvenis taking over the world if I let it. I was using it as turtle food for the sulcatas but now we only have box turtles so these arvenis are climbing and spreading just a little too much.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 21, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9607590

Here is Joyce Cobb and some Rebecca mgs that have morphed a little. I like the really light Joyce Cobb I used to have mor than these.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 21, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9607593

I don't know how the photo look since I have not reviewed them at all after I take them.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 21, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9607608

Got some neat sunflower crosses going here

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 21, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9607620

Been clearing the cactus areas and I think I posted the wrong photo sunflowers galore and I've already pulled out more than half. The bees and the birds are good little helpers...

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
12:05 AM

Post #9607885

Beautiful blooms A. Especially love the Hibiscus and Heavenly Blues.
Nice to see a Joyce Cobb pic, been a while.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 22, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9608204

Really enjoyed all your pictures A. Beautiful blooms.

Neat blooms on your pandy too Jackie. I'm going to have an off season on mine. Not a bud in sight, really weird.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013

Post #9608502

Thanks Helena, I can't imagine why your pandy didn't set blooms, very strange.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 22, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9608515

Feed it bloom boost or something like that.. I just harvested a few seeds off mine and already planted them into pots. I feed mine and indontnknow if it is working or not. Mine stopped blooming, but it appears to have a few tiny buds coming long, I don't know if it is because of the feeding two weeks ago, I am going to feed it weekly with everything else.

Thanks for posting guys.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9608890

I can't help but agree A. If Helenas pandy is not to going to bloom on its own, maybe it is time to feed it. Can't hurt anything. Guess theres enough nutrients in my soil for mine to bloom without any fertilizer. Weird though that Helenas
vine had been blooming in yrs past without any food.
Helena is yours in a pot or planted directly in the ground? I know you've told us, but I can't remember.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9610121

beautiful gardens, A.. here is my blooming pandy wish I could see where it starts from...

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
10:59 PM

Post #9610224

Pretty pandy blooms Debra.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9610337

Thanks, Jackie... I can't wait to see if it is in ground or in a hanging tub, tho..
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 24, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9610421

Pretty pandy blooms Debra.

Jackie, mine were planted in the ground and it's coming up in different places near by the main plant. I guess I should feed it.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9610761

Helena, that's what my pandy has done, coming up everywhere. It is a thug
for sure but I love it anyway. Can't imagine why yours refuses to bloom this yr.
If you feed it, let us know how it reacts.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 24, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9610825

Are you guys getting volunteers or is the root rhizome spreading.. Good thing to know that way ill know where to place it.

Helena, it won't hurt to feed it, but if it is spreading , I don't know if that is what you want. I may keep a few in pots so I can move them around near tables in our patio, it is so nice to be able to see them up close and personal..

Deborah, what a great idea putting it into a basket, what about the root, isn't long? Deborah, I'm so sorry to read your post regarding your sister. Mi hope you are doing well and you have all of us MGers here for a little moral support.

A.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9610905

A Here is a pic of the tuber that the vine I dug up was attached to. Pretty
good sized tuber. Also a pic of the thickened root/rhizome still there in the ground that I broke it loose from.
So apparently spreading by underground roots/rhizomes from the original
tuber. You can probably feel down in the pot yours is growing in and feel the tuber that's formed.
Someone told me the 1st yr I planted my pandy sd, that it used all its energy
in forming the tuber (in its first growth yr) and only made 3 or 4 lvs that entire summer. By the next summer, lvs finally started to appear, 8 to 10 of them. The 3rd yr, the vine was up and'to the top of the fence b4 I was even aware of it, blooming that 3rd yr
for the 1st time.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2013 12:55 AM

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 24, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9611055

I tried to check with my fingers but couldn't feel a tuber, I may have to dig deeper, I was afraid to kill it. Ill check in fall, just in case it will bee dormant then, I think there are more than one plant in this pot. I just have to separate them.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9611211

A, just leave it alone for now. I know you don't want to damage it. If you ever have to divide it, you'll see whats going on when you remove it from its pot. When its dormant would be a good time to divide it I would think.
Lovely blooms above, Is the 1st one, a Xiongs bloom?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9611347

watching my hummer go after the 4 o clocks, grateful for this day and this group..have a great day!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 25, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9611482

It's a shibori cross I don't have any Xiongs.

I spotted a gold colorec hummer this morning, haven't seen one of those in a few years . He is a baby, they are one of e most aggressive hummer s. now we have four or five different ones... Anna's, black chinned, one solid silver looking one a a couple of others .. They love the honeysuckles ...I had set out two feeders but they just ignore the feeders and go to the nectar producing flowers, yuccas, flowering cactus, etc.. I love being around them and the butterflies

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9611571

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 2:17 PM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 25, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9611604

Hi there Karen, we have lots of gerrramimals here in our yard, a family of two skunks moved in, momma and a a baby .. They walk in the yard as if they own it, and they DO.. Lol, we don't dare come out when they are on their walks, early in the mornings. I will try for a photo from afar if I can muster the courage. I might have to take the photo from inside through the window. Good to see you posting. I have some new four oclocks in my yard Colorado four O'clock, mirabilis multiflora and it is blooming quite a bit, the night hawk moth and hummingbird moths pollinate thin one since it opens at night, but I wish I could get a decent photo of those fuchsia colored flowers, just amazing. They start to open at about seven pm here.. Now I'm afraid to go out at night because of the skunks. DH was out there and they ignored him, they kept on going towards the well house where they live, one following the other.

I think they are so used to us being in the garden and not bothering them, that they now just think we are large animals that don't hurt them. Boy I wishmthwymwould move.. Lol, talk about stiny visitors . I don't know how my two goldens haven't been sprayed yet.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9611774

I would love to have 3 or 4 different hummers but in our part of the country, we only have the ruby throat.
We feed them too and have been enjoying their antics for yrs.
Yes, thankful for every day the good Lord gives me and
thankful for the good internet friends I've made along the way. :-)

Oops, edited to say I sat on my post too long A. Very funny about your skunks
in residence.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2013 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by patootie

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 25, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9611816

I can't seem to get outside today, arthritis all over, T.V. Day for me.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9611821

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 2:18 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9612108

My son posted pics of a family of raccoos outside his door on the driveway , ( on FB) and it was raining and they didn't care, he got a video of them too, but very poor quality LOL
I planted a ton of seeds tonight in hopes of germination in a couple weeks and plants by fall.

i have one hummer back so far, no ruby throats.. they never go to the feeders, they go for the flowers. The orioles go for the hummer feeders , it is weird..
missed photos of my blooms today... I hope to see a xiongs by end of August..
The house eating blooming ivy is all gone now, the house is painted and caulked and new gutters, the two rainbarrels were set up today, two more to go this year.. did some training with ribbon and bent the sunflowers down to meet the arch, the vines are all climbing..

supposed to rain tonight..
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9612415

Karen, I read a little bit regarding capturing them in cages. One article stated that when you open the cage door for them to leave, that they will just sit there till they muster the courage to come out. It said you may have to leave he trap at the relocation site and return for it later. They seem to be somewhat shy?

Deborah, you know I've been thinking real hard about getting Virginia creeper plants to cover one or two of our storage sheds, but am afraid we might attract more visitors, mice etc.. I really want to let all my turtles loose in the gardens but I think skunks kill turtles . I think raccoons are cute, but I'm sure they can also do some damage, he probably got a kick out of seeing them.

Have a great day guys.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9612524

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 2:19 PM
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9619671

Enjoying my pandy blooms.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 2, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9619855

Oh how gorgeous , I hope mine do the same. I've had company and will for the next week too, so if I don't post. You guys know where I am.

A.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9619925

Thanks A. So much joy with this one for so little effort on my part. Wish they
were all this easy.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 2, 2013
11:14 PM

Post #9619927

I love them. I've planted over a dozen seeds and have several seedlings already. I'm saving a few seeds too. Mine has stopped blooming so I plan to feed it some bloom booster. I'd like to sow another dozen seeds of this one and I think I might just get it going here.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
11:45 PM

Post #9619935

A, I could not plant that many here. One vine is already taking over my
fence line and spreading out into the path. it's a thug here but might
not be there for you in NM. It won't matter if you're planting in pots I guess.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 2, 2013
11:54 PM

Post #9619936

We have an acre and some fields of hay growing around us, I there is plent of room. The chain link was a horse corral and right now I added some twenty or so clematis plants in one area, lots of grapes and a ton of passion vines filling in all the arbors. I think that the Panduratas will add the color needed inbetween the Clem's.

Some clematis live up to fifty years, so far I've put in almost 50 plants, mostly bell types, I can hardly wait till they bloom all at one time... Now I have to work on my pandys..
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 3, 2013
12:06 AM

Post #9619939

Make sure you wear a hat, as you can see, we take the heat and sun serious here. Some of my passies have not bloomed, but here is Blue Bouquet .

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2013
12:18 AM

Post #9619945

Beautiful A, I gave my hardy passi to my daughter to put on her patio trellis, my other passis are not hardy, i did plant the fragrant while ones I found last year ..havn't loked to see if they came up. I do have some baby clematis out fron on a trellis, hope they take off.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 3, 2013
12:24 AM

Post #9619949

Deborah, I have lots of hardy passion vine plants if you want some. I can send you some in spring or now so they can get established. I have blue careula and maypop, which should come back for you. Just et me know and I can start putting them into pots to get acclimated and hopefully not go into shock. I think there are at least six vines coming out in the raised beds that are all volunteers. There are a couple of crosses with the Caruela so they look a tad different.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9619952

A the pandys would provide a nice contrast in between all your Clematis vines.

Pretty blooms and I love your Ruella, Mexican Petunia.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9620753

A , that is nice of you to offer.. Maybe there is something I have we can trade for.
Jackie, this rain is driving me crazy. Are you getting it too?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9621239

Debra, we had been getting a lot of rain but have missed out the last couple of days. Happy for the break because the rain does tear up my mg blooms.

Pic # 3 and 4, a flag on pandy. Who would have thought it?

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9621519

that is beautiful, Jackie. We have been water vaccuming the basement all day and will get up a few times tonight and in the am to keep the tide at bay down there.. good excuse for me to clean, mop and get the gardening areas ready. sposed to rain all week, so we now have two shop vacs at each end of the basement and 6 fans going. poor turtles and fish and snake don't know what is up, they are still nice and dry and cozy.told Joe I was going to have a curb all around the walls leading into a corner pond and water fountain. We just can't do the 30 k for water proofing, we already spent 16 K in 1988 on it. I figure let the rain come in and have a tropical hydrop Garden while I am dealing with it. meanwhile, when it is not raining, I can go out and see pretty things..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9621692

Debra, sorry you're having to work so hard to keep the water at bay.
That's the only thing I don't like about a basement.
Love your photos. What is that lovely pink bloom?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9621866

those are naked ladies, Jackie. They throw up amarryllis type leaves n spring and then those die back and then these pop up out of no where, may be called surprise lilly. Do you want to try some?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9622199

Debra, thanks I should have recognized them as I have the red ones and they're
extra big bulbs that DH dug up by mistake. Hope I haven't hurt them they've been out of the ground for too long. Can send you a couple with your other
stuff if I ever get your starts ready.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 6, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9623086

Deborah, oh man, I feel for you with that rain. We used to flood really bad in Southern California ... I hope you have some of it under control. Lets wait on the passies that I will send you, I'll pot them up and make sue they don't shock, I've given several and once they take them home they go into shock, so ill make sure they are established. One other thought here, I've got a ton of fruits and can send those now, just stir the seeds into the ground and next year you will get lots of seedlings that will have learned to acclimate to your area and they will be good to go for the flowing year, meantime I can work on the ones ill pot up. I was thinking if you have room this winter to overwinter them, I can send them this fall or in spring 2014.

Pretty nekkid ladies there.

Jackie, that pandy of yours really blooms alot. Mine stopped already. But it did start blooming really really in the season.

Here are the pandy seedlings I just sowed seeds for a couple of weeks ago.

Zinnias green envy looking a little pale here.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9623364

A, I think if your pandy was in the ground, you'd see a lot more blooms and for a lot longer. In 2011, mine bloomed from about June 7 till the end of Aug or early Sept.
Just look at the sheer size of the vine in the last pic
Your pandy seedlings look good A. Gorgeous Hibiscus

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9623612

my pandy started blooming again once I cut back some of the sun hogs.. LOL
can't wait to see the hibiscus from Jackie bloom, maybe next year..
( started from seed in winter, in ground now)
I planted a few seeds of all you sent me A, will show pics once I find them out in the jungle..
we are ready for another night of rain, put blue tarp over the offending leak areas on the north side where the living umbrella ivy was.. covers up the porch that has sunken in to the house, and the other area on the corner where there is a big crack.. hope this works for tonight.. can't do anything to the southeast corner, there are plants there..
I think I shall build a waterfall, pond grow area in the corner in the basement where it is ugly and leaking all the time, jus let it leak then.. got some new lights for the baement gardens, the t5's are awsome, but ither areas needed some extra grow lights, so now I have some led grow lights. I lanted a ton of fresh passi seeds from the country,, just like the pandys, all around the arbors and fence lines, but all I see are purps purps and more purps..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2013
11:41 PM

Post #9623707

Deb, I hope one day soon, you and Joe can get someone out to see what it
would take to fix that basement leak. A shame everything has to cost so much these days.
I planted the wildflowers you sent me today after chilling them for 8 weeks. I just waited too long to do it. I'll be happy if even a few of them come up.
DH told me our sons property next door is loaded with blooming maypop vines so will go take a pic or two tomorrow. :-)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 6, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9623711

Maypops are neat. Mine got chewed completely done to the stems this year, no flowers and no fruits.. Darn..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
12:18 AM

Post #9623719

A., maybe next yr spray them with hot pepper and see if that deters
whatever it is doing the damage. Or what if you could dust them with garlic powder? Just thinking out loud here. :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9623830

prolly hungry grass hoppers on these maypops..
the basement will cost 30k to fix correctly.. we spent 15k, 25 years ago, it was not done correctly, and Joe is not giving up that kind of money since he is about to retire in another month.. a "temp fix" is 14K, with troughs cut in the floor to catch the water and wall anchors outside... i am just going to turn my lemon into some lemonade and go with the inside cement gutter draining into the tall waterfall/planter I will design down there. they said "oh, we can cover the whole area with a new paper white wall." uhm, I can do that. the bad corner needs another beam, new epoxy injected and a ton of dirt butted up against it inside to lay in the waterfall and pond and planter there. I know I can do it. this house will never sell anyway..
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 7, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9623831

A. do you get fritileria butterfies (? sp) in your garden. I know the caterpillar uses Maypop leaves as a food source.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9624120

Debra, I hope you and Joe can get your waterfall/pool project done. I think
it would be a great solution, attractive too :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9624623

heres a pandy bloom,, the whole thing is loaded up again, I am soooo happy!!!below it is soh if you can see the leaves, first bloom pic turned out fuzzy.my beauty berry is really growing..see the blooms? top of the arbor after pulling down the sunflowers..a great datura bloom on the patio makes it smell loverly at night, I had to cut the main stem off cuz of these lil maggot looking worms, I tore the stem open and fed it to the fish, anyways, now we have a whole bunch of blooms, these are in the tomatoe patch with the moring glorys holding it all together.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9624675

Beautiful Datura, one of my favorites.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 8, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9625528

Yes, I have hundreds of butterflies, they are cocooning all over the place. There is one butterfly that is as big as my hand a zebra swallowtail , I think that is what it is a yellow one with stripes. I wish I could take a picture of that one .

Well it looks like you are set with passion vine seeds then. Good, you will get seedlings before winter starts. The caterpillar s have even eaten the seedlings down to the ground . I move at least 25 to 35 caterpillar s from a couple of passion vines to the larger passion vines so they don't eat the ones I started from seed , I want to see the white flowered ones bloom and vitifolia too. I don't know how long I can continue to move caterpillars, DH thinks I'm a nut now.

For some reason, none of the photos on this thread are appearing for me. Ill look at them later.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9625568

Love the pink purp and the photo with the red chair, striking.
I planted more Hibiscus sds today A. I hope they germinate.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 10, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9626740

Jackie I hope your hib seeds germinate for you.

No mgs today, but the pandys got their first true leaves.

Some flowering crape myrtles. Hollyhock, Tithonus, perrenial sweetpea not in any order, lol, you have to match them up like in grade school.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 10, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9626744

[quote="Gourd"]Jackie I hope your hib seeds germinate for you.

No mgs today, but the pandys got their first true leaves.

Some flowering crape myrtles. Hollyhock, portulacas, perrenial sweetpea not in any order, lol, you have to match them up like in grade school. [/quote]

Edited ti add portulacas instead of Tithonia
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9626828

A, Love your blooms esp the lovely Hollyhock and Crepe Myrtles.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9626963

me too! despite me and Joanna being sick, the other kids came over and helped gt one of the rooms all cleared and cleaned for growing. They threw away a bunch of stuff and called me a hoarder, how kind.
love your garden shots, A. the Hibs are stunning and I agree with Jackie on the red chair shot.
going out on our date night, movies and popcorn. ya all have a great night.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 10, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9627105

I love your blooms too A. Lots of colors.

Glad you got help from your kids Debra. Funny, my kids have called hoarder too from time to time.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2013
10:47 PM

Post #9628020

To the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329063

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America