AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9558830

first year growing any veggies, other than tomatoes.
i made the mistake of sowing the seeds at the same time so i suddenly have a bumper crop. my question regarding Contender or bush beans in general is this: once i pick all the beans, are they done or will they keep producing? i'm thinking in terms of determinate and indeterminate as in tomatoes.
thanks so much!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9558937

The beans will continue to produce until the weather changes, fungaluglies or the pests get 'em. If they wanna keep going, and the produce is still looking good, keep 'a goin'!

Actually, it's picking the beans continually that encourages them to put out more beans!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9558950

thanks for your response, gymgirl. i'd heard that bush type beans will just stop producing once you pick the first big harvest, unlike a pole bean. yikes, i'll be eating beans for a long time then.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9558998

My experience is two - three pickings on Contender. Two on most bush beans. Poles beans quit with the first triple digit temps,. I expect you will get similar results in central Florida.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9558999

My experience is two - three pickings on Contender. Two on most bush beans. Poles beans quit with the first triple digit temps,. I expect you will get similar results in central Florida.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9559023

thank you for your wisdom, farmerdill...
thank you for your wisdom, farmerdill...:-)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9559034

LOL!!!
LOL!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
11:05 PM

Post #9559546

I'm only going to post this once. LOL.

Bush bean 2-3 harvests

Pole beans produce until the temps get too hot, mine have never stopped but slowed down.

For beans in high temps sow Yard Long Beans. They love the heat and are very pest resistant. They will produce until the temps get too low.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2013
2:47 AM

Post #9559597

aw c'mon...only once? lol
thanks! i'm very content with even two harvests at this point. the first one has given me loads of beans and it's been fun learning. we never get to triple digits in this area although i wonder if the heat index counts...any thoughts on that when it comes to veggies in general?
i put in a small raised bed area last year and harvested lettuce and spinach all fall/winter/spring. i put in Sugar Bon Peas this spring but planted them too late for a really good crop...live and learn.
i now have the beans and some dwarf okra. it's already too hot for my taste so when the beans fizzle out, it will be okay with me. i'll pull them after the second harvest.
this picture was earlier this spring with lettuce and spinach. it's a small area so i'm only going with dwarf or small size plants.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America