Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: My Scrub Jay

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 5, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lori_k
Tulare, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9558887

I named him (her?) "Precocious" because he became so demanding wanting peanuts constantly. He was hatched in my lemon tree, so I've known him since he was a fledgling. He would fly to my hand for nuts and when he took a mate, he taught her to come to me for peanuts too. Precocious and his mate "Scrubita" have since been displaced out of the neighborhood by other jays, but every once in awhile they will show up for a peanut or two before they are chased off again. I miss my daily garden companions.

Thumbnail by lori_k   Thumbnail by lori_k   Thumbnail by lori_k   Thumbnail by lori_k   Thumbnail by lori_k
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9558932

That is so sweet. Too bad they were chased off by others.

For whatever reason, this is my youngest's favorite bird, though he's never seen one in person. I told him we'd have to travel a ways to see any.
lori_k
Tulare, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9559536

If you come to Central California you'd be sure to see scrub jays, or at least hear them. They are everywhere. I didn't realize how territorial they are until my pair got chased out of the neighborhood. They put up a valiant fight that went on for days, but they were out-numbered. It broke my heart to see them chased away by marauding interlopers, but I guess it is just nature's way, and there was nothing I could do. Visually, I cannot tell "my" jays from other jays, except my jays fly to me when they see me. The others fly away from me. It's been months since they've visited and when they do return they only stay for a day or so.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 14, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9559539

Wonderful shots, Lori.
lori_k
Tulare, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9559916

Thanks, Margaret! They are beautiful birds. I visited Australia several years ago; Sidney and Brisbane. Heard many interesting and unusual bird calls from the trees but couldn't see them. We did see an Ibis while lunching at a sidewalk cafe. He really wanted to join us for lunch - and he was big enough, I almost let him! I would love to return to Australia just to bird watch.

Thumbnail by lori_k
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 15, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9560545

You'd be most welcome, Lori. I don't know Brisbane, but Sydney is an amazing, vibrant city. Lovely Australian (Sacred) Ibis.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America