My Scrub Jay

Tulare, CA(Zone 9a)

I named him (her?) "Precocious" because he became so demanding wanting peanuts constantly. He was hatched in my lemon tree, so I've known him since he was a fledgling. He would fly to my hand for nuts and when he took a mate, he taught her to come to me for peanuts too. Precocious and his mate "Scrubita" have since been displaced out of the neighborhood by other jays, but every once in awhile they will show up for a peanut or two before they are chased off again. I miss my daily garden companions.

Thumbnail by lori_k Thumbnail by lori_k Thumbnail by lori_k Thumbnail by lori_k Thumbnail by lori_k
Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

That is so sweet. Too bad they were chased off by others.

For whatever reason, this is my youngest's favorite bird, though he's never seen one in person. I told him we'd have to travel a ways to see any.

Tulare, CA(Zone 9a)

If you come to Central California you'd be sure to see scrub jays, or at least hear them. They are everywhere. I didn't realize how territorial they are until my pair got chased out of the neighborhood. They put up a valiant fight that went on for days, but they were out-numbered. It broke my heart to see them chased away by marauding interlopers, but I guess it is just nature's way, and there was nothing I could do. Visually, I cannot tell "my" jays from other jays, except my jays fly to me when they see me. The others fly away from me. It's been months since they've visited and when they do return they only stay for a day or so.

PERTH, Australia

Wonderful shots, Lori.

Tulare, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Margaret! They are beautiful birds. I visited Australia several years ago; Sidney and Brisbane. Heard many interesting and unusual bird calls from the trees but couldn't see them. We did see an Ibis while lunching at a sidewalk cafe. He really wanted to join us for lunch - and he was big enough, I almost let him! I would love to return to Australia just to bird watch.

Thumbnail by lori_k
PERTH, Australia

You'd be most welcome, Lori. I don't know Brisbane, but Sydney is an amazing, vibrant city. Lovely Australian (Sacred) Ibis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.