Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: What type of bird is this?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oschink
Oshkosh, WI

June 14, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9559225

I believe this is a finch, but I do not know how to tell the difference between a purple finch and a house finch. According to the book I have, the house finch isn't supposed to be in Wisconsin, but this looks more like a house finch to me than a purple finch.

Does anyone know what this is? If so, what is the "defining feature" that allows you to know this?

Taken yesterday in Northeast Wisconsin.

Thank you!

Thumbnail by oschink   Thumbnail by oschink
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9559331

House Finch, male.

Note the whitish fringes on the wing feathers, and the brown streaks on the flanks - both purple-red in male Purple Finch. The bill shape is also different, tho' that's not easy to see here as it has a sunflower seed in its bill.

Resin
oschink
Oshkosh, WI

June 14, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9559371

Thank you! This is great!!! I have learned a lot on the two posts I have had on here. Great stuff!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America