Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Planting Oleander

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 12, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
allanby
COIN
Spain

June 15, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9559676

Hi, I live in Southern Spain and wish to plant Oleander to provide a colourful wind break / privacy sheild.
Can anyone please advise what the general spacing should be to ensure good cover , at the same time allowing enough room for positive growth.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9559859

Hi Allanby. Oleanders make great hedges. Since they can spread about 5 ft, I would leave 4.5 to 5 ft between each plant. That allows plenty of space for growth and should afford you the coverage you want.

Oleanders (Nerium oleander) are broadleaf evergreen shrubs that grow in an upright, rounded form. They reach a mature height of about 8 feet and spread to about 5 feet, making them a good choice for a privacy hedge. Oleander bushes are densely covered with glossy green leaves and develop fragrant white, pink or red flowers in summer. Pink varieties include "Barbara Bush," "Apple Blossom" and "Lady Kate," while reds include "General Pershing and "Scarlet Beauty." "Mary Constance" offers white blossoms. Oleanders are tolerant of dry conditions and poor soils, thrive in full sun but will also do well in light shade, and are resistant to common pests and diseases. All parts of oleandar plants are toxic and should not be ingested. Oleanders are frost-sensitive and suitable for outdoor culture in USDA hardiness zone 8 through 10.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9560326

There are dwarf forms that can stay as small as about 3-4'.
The largest varieties get a lot wider than 5', such as 10-12'.
They get roughly as high as they get wide. You can crowd them, but then they tend to need a lot of pruning, or else they get bare lower down. In the competition for light they put most of their energy into growing leaves on the top.

So spacing depends on what variety you want. Decide what size plant you ultimately want, and select one or more varieties that grow just that big. No sense in planting a 10' shrub in a 5' space!
allanby
COIN
Spain

June 17, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9561834

Hi "the moonhowl" and Diana_K,

Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions, particularly with regard to size range and " names of colours" . I will be able to now give further considered thought to the actual items I purchase and , more importantly, match my purchase to the actual plot.

Do I need to take any particular steps to prepare the ground before planting????
The soil in this area contains a high level of clay and quicly goes as hard as rock during July and August.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9562039

There is a wealth of info out there, so I sorted through to give you some solid basics on oleander with a nod to your area, since from what I have read, oleander is a native to Spain. They tolerate a variety of soils and growing conditions, but it never hurts to work some compost into the soil when planting. I hope this gives you and overview you can work with. Moon

http://www.murciatoday.com/oleanders-how-to-propagate-and-important-information-about-the-dangers-of-pruning-them_2904-a.html

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2007/07/23/beautiful%E2%80%A6-but-beware/

http://www.oleander.org/culture.html

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/OF-4.pdf
allanby
COIN
Spain

June 17, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9562156

Hi Moon,
Thanks a million.
With all of this information I am certain that even I will be able to make a success of this venture into gardening.
I really am most grateful for your assistance and the time you have taken to respond.
It is good to know that there are still people ready to assist beginners like myself.
Thanks again,
Allanby

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9562192

Hi Allanby...you are most welcome. We all have to start somewhere...and this site is a good choice...there are users from around the world and tons of experience. As for the oleanders...they are tough and rather forgiving plants...just remember that they are considered to be toxic so use caution when handling them. I think your area is consider hardiness zone 10 (near Malaga)? You should have no weather/environmental problems with the oleander, so it should be pretty much clear sailing with them. Best of luck to you, and do come back and post pictures when you have made your choice.
allanby
COIN
Spain

June 17, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9562419

Will do!!
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

October 5, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9678952

Allaby,
You are luck that you live in Europe. Go on ebay and you can see the beautiful cuttings that you can buy. Most of the time they are very easy to root. I always have cuttings rooting and have a nice sized oleander to give a friend. Some people even start them out from seeds too. It will take a few year to flower perhaps but worth the wait.
Regards,
Mickey
Arizona

Kbh69

Kbh69
Andrews, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9709492

Excellent links. You guys are so helpful and informative!

I LOVE DAVE'S GARDEN !!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9711913

Hi Mickey ...I just wanted to tell you that Judy (here in Australia) is still doing her stunning Oleander work, in fact I have some cuttings from her.

I talk to her on facebook ...yes it is good for finding lost relatives and dear friends, though it's kind of a love hate thing ^_^

Moon you are a treasure !

My Italian born in laws lollypop their Oleanders, they take up little room that way and are a ball of colour many months of the year.

I am so pleased to find fellow oleander fans, these wonderful things are so under rated, mostly because people don't understand how to care for them.

Cheers everyone !
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1327/

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9711945

Hi Chrissy. Thanks for the kind words.

I agree, oleanders are lovely and underused.

Moon
Jamper
Sugarland, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9721879

Allanby - It is correct info that Oleanders are native to Spain. I was in Greece a month or so ago and it is covered with Oleanders - all over. I saw the plant look like trees upto 20 ' high and loaded with flowers. Check out the stock it comes from. I have beautiful plants but they are dward and will not grow over 6'. Good luck Jamper

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America