Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Lotus flowers browning

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9560613

My 'Sweetheart' Lotus flowers are drying up and browning before they open. The petals are thin like tissue paper. I have never had this issue before and am loking for possible causes. I have checked and can find no indication of any mites or any other pests. The leaves are fine. This is the first time I am growing this cultivar and it was a new plant this year, planted in fresh soil. Any thoughts?

Sorry this is a fuzzy pic, I'll try and get a better one later.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 16, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9561336

There also appears to be some yellowing in the leaves, as if there was a mineral deficiency.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9561438

They have been well fertilized with water plant tabs. Lotus often have lighter spots on the the leaves here. My healthiest plants have experienced that in the past. Our soils do have an overabundance of phosphorus however that has never caused the flowers to brown off. I am also awaiting a response from the grower, this is a new plant this year.

Dry bud and fresh bud before it turns.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 17, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9562722

Have you checked the pH? I'm not sure what they'd prefer, but would assume it to be on the lower/acidic side.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9562744

I am wondering if the weather could be affecting your lotus? My waterlilies are far behind where they normally are because of the cool, overcast weather we have been having.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9562776

Have you had an abundance of rain? Mine looked bad (both flowers and leaves) when we had rain, and the water drops sat on top of the plants. It burned the edges of both.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9562783

Although our spring was a bit cooler and longer than it usually is we never had any cold weather. Zone 9 here. The grower thinks it might have been the few unusually hot days we had but wants me to wait a bit and see if it clears up. I am on municipal water and the pH is neutral. Guess I'll have to wait a bit and hope
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9562790

We cross posted Mary, we did have about 5" of rain last week then nothing since. The leaves are fine, it is just the flowers. I just switched computers today and my photos are still on the old one so I can't post a picture of the whole plant yet but it looks good.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America