Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: Daily Bird Pics (and Conversation) #452

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 110, Views: 1,154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9560822

Hi Everyone!
Okay, here's our new thread...Welcome!! And as always, don't forget to go back to the old threads occasionally. I know I sure do.

I'll start this edition with an assortment of Oriole pics taken through my kitchen window. It's not the most natural of settings, but the Orioles sooo love their Grape Jelly that it's one of the easiest places to get shots.

We came from HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308773/#new

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click an image for an enlarged view.

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

June 16, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9560878

Wont be long now.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat      

Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 16, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9561497

I couldn't get a picture but I saw my first ever Oriole this past week what an awesome looking bird.
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 16, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9561560

I took these today around 4pm. I used my phone because that was in my hand. This bird had no fear I walked out the door and off the porch before he flew away.

Thumbnail by Joeyk210   Thumbnail by Joeyk210         

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

June 16, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9561568

Looks like an American Goldfinch.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 17, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9561862

Goldfinchs are very active on our tube feeder. Unlike Chickadees which grab a seed & fly off, finches sit on the perch & go at them.

We were thrilled to find a pair of rose breasted grosbeaks using that feeder. I had never seen those before. Male has no lookalikes, female looks like a big sparrow.

Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 17, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9561966

Rose breasted Grosbeaks are cool looking. Had to look them up and have never seen one live but very pretty looking bird. I took this photo earlier this month. We don't normally feed the birds in the summer but we put a feeder right outside the window my Mom sits and looks out of.I thought it would make you smile. I call it Standing room only!

Thumbnail by Joeyk210
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 17, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9562426

chuckles We get goldfinches stacked up like that.
Leaving our feeder up gave us a glimpse of the grosbeaks.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9563944

Thank you N.A.N. for the new thread, love those pics. of the Orioles. Adel, soon we'll being seeing Tree Swallows babies? awesome. irisMA, those Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are always a welcoming sight. Here is a Great Blue Heron .

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9564080

You're Welcome, Kim! Ooh, love that GB Heron! We have them here, but I've never gotten a pic.

Yay, cute baby Swallows!

Congrats on the Oriole sighting, Joeyk210! And you now know (from another thread) that those are American Goldfinches.

Congrats irisMA, on the Rose-breasted Grosbeak pair!

I know some people say they take down their feeders in Summer, but if you do, you may miss out on some of the beautiful, colorful birds that show up in Spring. They tend to stay around when there are feeders full of their favorite foods.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2013 8:58 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9564174

Thanks for the new start!

Here's a male Pochard

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9564175

Ooops! Forgot to add the pic!

Thumbnail by Resin

Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 19, 2013
2:01 AM

Post #9564568

Resin, he is so pretty.,NAN there is a park I walk through that has a loooong bridge over water and the Blue Heron are always there in the summer. I got real good pictures one day this spring because he decided to hang out on the bridge for a while. The photos are on the bird watching forum somewhere. I have blue bird houses up but as yet they haven't found them, one is older and has some sort of nesting material in there but no sign of life it may be old should I clean it out? Also what food can I use to attract them? IrisMA I am now looking all the time at that feeder hoping for a glimpse of other birds then the finches, I've seen a chickadee so far and was not fast enough with the camera before the finches chased him off.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 19, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9564681

Female cardinal on the ground under the feeder this morning. We have a tube feeder so bigger birds get the spilled seed.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 19, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9565453

Colourful start to the new thread, nuts.

I've had nothing to contribute lately, although yesterday I was sitting out on the back deck enjoying the winter sunshine and a Grey Butcherbird repeatedly landed on the screen of my laptop. It bit my finger when I presented it to him (I expected this to happen). No photo, but here's the link to the DG Birdfile: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/3246/

Here's a really good piece of information. It's today's DG article.http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4260/#discuss

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 19, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9565479

Margaret--that is a wicked looking beak & I'm not using the New England slang.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 19, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9565491

They get their name because they impale their prey on large thorns or broken twigs. They have the most beautiful song you'd ever hear and they are also brilliant mimics. I was walking past a tree the other day and a butcherbird was happily mimicking a Carnaby's Black Cockatoo.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9567746

You're Welcome, Resin!
What a gorgeous bird and great shot!! He reminds me of the Canvasback's I used to see years ago (I grew up in California).

Joey ~ Great Blue Herons love rivers. They hang out on the river near my house and I used to see them in other places I lived, along rivers. Occasionally one will fly over my house. Because of their shape, when they're flying they remind me of prehistoric "Pterodactyls".

If you have an old, unused feeder, you really should clean it out. Old nesting material tends to get parasites and other undesirables that can harm baby birds. There's a very active Bluebird thread that Dellrose started in the Bird Watching forum. Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303338/

irisMA ~ Sounds like a Win, Win for all your birds. Even though Cardinals come to feeders, they tend to be ground-feeding birds by choice. They prefer my tray-type feeders over any others because it seems more natural to them, but they also peck around on the ground.

Thanks, Margaret! Interesting bird, that Butcherbird. Also, Thanks for the link!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2013 3:02 PM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 21, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9568171

Cardinals have to use the ground here, because our feeder is a tube one to keep out squirrels. The female an handle it, however. Bluejay & grackle keep clearing out the suet feeder. I want woodpeckers!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9569861

irisMA ~ we switch to upside-down suet feeders in Spring to cut down on Blackbird / Bluejay / Starling activity. It definitely helps since it allows the Woodpeckers to eat, but the suet still empties quickly as, inevitably, some of those other guys figure out how to hang just long enough to knock chunks of suet to the ground.

I brought my camera when I went to run some errands a few days ago and stopped at a park on the Fox River on my way home. Didn't get too many good pics, but had fun. My battery was running low so eventually got back into my car to leave.

No sooner had I started the engine when a Great Blue Heron flew by about 20 feet from me (of course!). I quickly turned off the engine and got back out when I saw it land on a private pier right near by. I started taking some pictures even though the angle wasn't great planning to get closer if it took off again. But of course my battery went dead and that was the end of it...oh well!

Here are some of the...not so great...images and a few others as well...also not so great...but hey.

1 and 2- First a female then a male Red-bellied Woodpecker

The last three - Mallard Drakes
We have a pair of Mallards that visit us (and eat corn) several times a day each Spring (for about the last 8 years!), but it's fun to watch bunches of them playing in the river.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9569865

I posted the wrong pics first. Here are the GB heron shots.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9572873

Lovely pics NAN!

Yesterday morning I watched a robin feed it fledgling jelly from the dishes but I didn't grab the camera fast enough. We may be creating a monster with the jelly!! But did catch this juvie Red-bellied Woodpecker who has been showing where to come!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9572904

Thanks nanny!! You're much too kind.
Oh, your juvie is adorable!! You're so right about the grape jelly. I keep a couple of extra jars on the shelf cause it goes so fast.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9573942

My GD counted 14 jars in the pantry and was like gee nana!! lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9574000

HA! I use about one cup for two weeks in may and then that's it, they are gone.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9575291

14 jars!! Oh man...and I thought I was going through a lot!

Marna, you may not have a lot of Orioles, but you have Butterflies!! All I've seen so far are Cabbage Whites. I guess the others don't much care for rain (and we've had a lot of that).

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9575309

I hardly have any butterflies. Saw a few last week, but since then only Cabbage Whites! Oh how I wish for the butterflies of a few years ago. My zinnia are just starting to bloom, so maybe, just maybe I'll get some takers. I had a red-eyed vireo at the stream the other day, only got a picture of his bum though!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9575549

Wow...cool!! I never see Red-eyed Vireos. I guess it's possible we've had them in our trees, but I've never seen one on the ground or in the bird baths. Ooh...I want a stream!

It's nesting time! (actually our Goldfinches will be nesting through the end of Summer).
I was really too far away to take these shots so there isn't a lot of detail, but their antics were hilarious. These are two different females. They were taking turns.
This is just a few, but I couldn't stop snapping.

BTW, that rusty-looking feeder isn't as bad as it looks. I's only rusty on the top. The part they eat out of is nice and shiny The other one I have just like it still looks brand new. Don't know what happened to this one.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2013 11:15 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9575652

i highly recommend a stream for bird watchers! Nothing like seeing a group of warblers hanging out in the stream.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9575667

Is that a natural stream or did you build it?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9575689

built it! Makes for a little bit of country here in town.

It is attached to a small pond, but the addition of a big, stubborn dog in the family has meant that we will be converting it to a pondless waterfall/stream.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9579921

From the assorted pics you've posted, your stream looks so beautiful!!
Not really something we can do at this point, but we do have (kind of) a pond/stream every Spring way in the back of our yard after the snow/ice melts. This year it incorporated one of my flower beds. It's amazing any of the plants survived. The Mallard pair that visits every year loved it, though.

We even had a stream back there a couple of days ago after torrential rains. Only lasted a day, though, so I didn't notice any unusual birds. I keep looking, though. Oh well...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9579932

I'm with you N.A.N about Mrs Ed's stream. I just love the many ways she enjoyed her water feature. I'd have some neat swallows picture to share had I took my camera along during my morning walk! Ark!!! But, this GBH will do I hope.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9580343

Trees all around the house are full of Fledgling Baltimore Orioles now!!
Robin Fledglings are here too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9580357

Oh how sweet! Great going Nan.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9583367

I have started a thread for the Carolina Wrens that are nesting on our balcony...

If you would like to follow their progress, please join us here!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1322911/

Thanks for looking!
Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9583837

Kim, you have that beautiful lake!! Love those GBH shots!

nanny, those pics are adorable!!

Karen, that nest shot is soooo precious!! I'll be watching your new thread as well.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 2, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9584167

I was at the computer this afternoon & heard a small thud. I looked at the window & saw a small chipping sparrow hanging on the screen. It looked stunned for a bit (window was down) & gathered itself together & flew off. We have had birds hit our bay window, but never a small bedroom window.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9586557

We are still getting new oriole fledglings brought to the jelly dishes! These are from this morning.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

July 8, 2013
3:59 AM

Post #9591067

Picture of a Mourning Dove flying to the feeder.

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9597646

Black-legged Kittiwake, with chick

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9597693

iris ~ So glad your little Sparrow was okay! Every once in a great while we'll have a bird bounce off a window. We've been fortunate that they usually just fly off. Only a couple of times have they hit hard enough to "Ring-their-Bells". Then I've just made sure they were protected until they could fly off.

nanny ~ Love the pics!! The fledglings are so cute! The last of our Orioles left several days ago. I miss them already.

Nice pic, pmut!

Resin ~ OMG, they're sooo adorable!! Beautiful shot!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9597805

Nice Resin!!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 13, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9597945

Lovely shots, everyone. I have a few to add, at last.

White-cheeked Honeyeater
Red-necked Avocets
Purple Swamphen
White-faced Heron
Black-winged Stilt

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 13, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9597949

Willie Wagtail
Shot of a distant Pacific Heron
Straw-necked Ibis
Australian White Ibis
Red-necked Avocet

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 13, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9597952

Australasian Shoveler
Red-kneed Dotterel
Lastly, two Pink and Grey Galahs chasing a Whistling Kite.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK      

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 13, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9598030

Great shots, Margaret. I especially like the avocet.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9598064

Wow...wonderful pics, Margaret!! You always post so many unusual (to me, anyway) birds. What type of plant is the Honeyeater in the first pic on? It's very cool. I also particularly like the 2 Ibis in flight pics (what's the plural of Ibis? Ibises?).

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 13, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9598093

Thanks Iris and nuts. The plant is one of the many local banksia species; this one is Menzies banksia. Fascinating plants. Here are a few links worth having a look at.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/banksia/

http://www.oznativeplants.com/plant/Banksia.html

http://www.bushlandperth.org.au/activities/perths-banksia-woodlands/perths-banksia-woodlands

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Banksia+species&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WyfiUbfAIMWklQXawYCoDw&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1279&bih=651

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9598309

Whoa, I too am fascinated with all the birds Margaret has shared photos with us all. And the plants too, I so wished one of these days I can visit Australia. N.A.N. we must make the trip together, what do you think? lol

I don't have many to share, but I saw these two juvies, I believe to be House Sparrows? They were at a shopping mall. Such cuties!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9598431

Margaret, Thanks for those links!! Those are really fascinating plants!

Kim...Hah! Yeah, let's just drop everything and go! Maybe Margaret will give us a tour.
Cute pic! Shopping Mall? You must carry your camera everywhere!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9598558

[quote="Lily_love"]I don't have many to share, but I saw these two juvies, I believe to be House Sparrows? They were at a shopping mall. Such cuties![/quote]

Yep, House Sparrow juveniles

Resin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9613676

Yooooohoooo!!! Where is everyone? Must be on vacation? Let's hear from y'all. lol

Resin, thank you for the positive I.D. of the lovely baby birds.
1. A juvenile Mallard drake
2. Great Blue Heron and 4 Pekin ducks
3 and 4 repeat of these water fowls.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9613742

Just not much going on here! The Orioles have already left...been gone 2 weeks now. I still have catbirds coming for the jelly but even the robins have slowed down. Still have hummers. I see lots of Brown Thrashers and Indigo Buntings when I walk the dog.

I guess that I just don't have the free time I used too also makes a difference! lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9613765

I too have been busy, it's so nice that you get to see Indigo Buntings where you're. Here, I guess I'll have to wait until the Fall to see them migrating through the area. About the Brown Thrashers, now that you've mentioned Nan, I haven't seen them around much. They must have left my place for yours lol.
From early spring 'til couple weeks ago. I've tons of Eastern Towhees, but the past week, I haven't heard their call either. Hmmm.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9614108

Got a new lens for my camera. Finally got a few bird pics.
Female Goldfinch
Young Cardinal
Male Goldfinch
Male Rubythroat
Carolina Wren

Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 28, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9614162

We have not had any hummingbirds visit. Blooming hosta, red salvia & monarda. there must be enough for them in other places so they stay away.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9614392

Kim, your lake looks beautiful! Very nice pics, too!

Pretty shots, beclu727! Guess you're enjoying your new lens.

Things have slowed down here recently as far as birds go. We still have our regular backyard visitors, but they haven't been crowding the feeders quite so much.

The food is lasting longer, though, which is kind of nice, especially now that the Red-winged Blackbirds have mostly moved on. It's also allowed me to back off on the Safflower seed which tends to be costly, but since the Blackbirds avoid it, I keep at least one tray feeder with only Safflower when they're around.

The suet is lasting a long time, now, too. The Blackbirds and Bluejays were devouring it. Most of the Woodpeckers also like Sunflower seed and now that there are lots of insects, they don't eat as much suet.

Orioles have been gone for a while. Nanny, ours left even before yours. We saw them less and less, then one day they were gone.

I'm so jealous of the Indigo Buntings you see. We get them every Spring, but they don't usually stay very long. This year we didn't see any. One year we had a male that discovered he loved the Nyjer seed so much he stayed for about a month, but then moved on.

The Goldfinches are using a lot of the nesting fluff I keep in suet cages as they continue nesting through the end of summer. It's hysterical to watch them stuff their beaks until they have long streams of fluff trailing behind them as they fly.

Sorry about your lack of Hummers, iris MA. It hasn't been the greatest year for Hummers in much of the country. Ours were very late and we never got very many.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9615465

Not too many pics lately. I hope nobody minds if I post this one.

In Honor of GrannyGrunt

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 29, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9615496

Funny. the gold finches here doen't wonder, they just eat.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 29, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9615666

Nice, nuts.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9615821

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]

In Honor of GrannyGrunt

[/quote]

:-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9616111

Oh N.A.N. I Love that!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9616489

A cricket for the House Wren Babies

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9616631

Whoa...that's huge!!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 30, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9616805

good catch, though.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9616893

The babies in the house are VERY loud, which I suppose means close to peaking out/fledging. Funny to watch how the bugs go from little to big as time goes on.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9622961

I have always loved cardinals especially when they go on my tomato plants and pick the tomato worms off the plants. Today, however, I saw something a male cardinal did that saddened me. He took a praying mantis off of one of my daylilies. I have a lot of praying mantis this year and am very happy about that. I was so horrified when I saw this cardinal grab one and fly up on the roof of my garage with it. I hope all of them don't meet this same fate.
I had no idea at all that they would eat a praying mantis.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9623034

Unfortunately, in nature, everybody is a part of the food chain. Sometimes it's very sad (even painful and occasionally traumatic), but it's what keeps it all going.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2013 12:18 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9623087

Yes, bittersweet about the mantis, but sometimes praying mantis eat HUMMINGBIRDS. So you just have to roll with mother nature.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9623199

Someone else told me that too about the hummingbirds. That is hard to believe as fast as they fly. I could understand them getting maybe the juvenile birds who aren't as experienced flyers as the parents. I wonder if it is a particular species of praying mantis. I know some grow larger than others.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9623617

Love the parent Wren with the large cricket, Marna. The babies won't go hungry with a meal like that! Have they fledge yet? I've missed the Tree Swallows first flight out of their house. :(
N.A.N. nice of you, to have honored GG.
I've been quite busy this Summer, and have not been on here much.
I have a few to share.
1. Downy Woodpecker
2. American Redstart
3.House Finch (First time for me have them here. I only have one couple, they are busy feeding fledgling now.)
4. Cedar Waxwing
5. Common Merganser baby.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9623797

Very nice pictures!!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9623811

Thanks Burn. They all fledged on Saturday while I was out of town.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9623893

Love the pics, burn! Congrats on the House Fince pair. Maybe they'll become regulars now. It's a shame you missed the Tree Swallow babies 1st time out.

Marna, sorry you missed out on the baby Wrens. The least they could have done is wait after providing them with such a nice place to live, but you know how kids are.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

August 7, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9624158

Seeing the backs of small brown birds all the time. They are after the viburnum berries & fly into the shrub putting themselves really out of view. Heard a flicker, loud but distinctive.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9625486

Thanks hemlady, n.a.n.
Sorry you missed the event, Marna.
I would love to have that flicker in my yard, to feast on the ants. IrisMa.

Wish I would have had more time, to take a better picture of this family of ducklings. We had stopped in the road, and a car was coming. Had to do a quick shot. It was a sight to see. They were walking in line, on the side of the road.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9632313

Very cute, burn!! I love a parade!

Haven't been able to get many decent pics lately, but I'll post these, anyway.

Female Downy WP / Female Goldfinch / Male Downy WP / Juvie Goldfinch / Black-capped Chickadee

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9633328

We're getting more and more Goldfinches daily plus new fledglings and the females are still collecting the nesting fluff we keep in suet cages.

We have them year 'round, but some years we have more than others. This year was a slower year until a few weeks ago. Now they're everywhere!

I particularly love hearing them in the morning since we've had cool nights lately and have been sleeping with the windows open!

Haven't had any luck getting pics of babies, though.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9633416

Same here with the Goldfinches...seeing lots of them this year! We are getting Baltimore Orioles at the jelly as they migrate south. However the bees are getting really bad, so I may have to shut the jelly bar down.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9633480

Orioles have already left here - they leave mid-summer and I don't know whether they head north or south. Goldfinches are usually a winter bird here.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9633815

Oh, I envy you, nanny! We never see any Orioles on their return trip. Once they leave here that's it till next year. I've never even heard their singing in the trees this time of year so maybe they take a different route south.

Pollengarden, even seeing Goldfinches in winter is very special. My brother lives very high up in the mountains near Denver. He has lots of birds, including tons of Hummers, but he doesn't get any Goldfinches up where he lives.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9634626

Bet he has House Finch. We saw those at 4000 ft. in Hawaii on the way to the Mauna Kea Summit!

So, here are some catch up photos. House wren - towards the end of the second nesting. Cormorants and White Pelicans. Goldfinch on Ehinacea. And then, a cute little juvie chipping sparrow. This one decided to take a little bath after I had washed off the patio.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9634668

Love the pics...the little Chipping Sparrow is just precious!!

My brother lives at 9500 ft and you'd be surprised at all the birds he has that high up, plus deer, fox, assorted squirrels, chipmunks, etc... and a couple of bears!

Nanny, you must be a good luck charm. First thing this morning a male Oriole came to my kitchen window looking for his grape jelly. Sooo...I raced outside with half an orange and some grape jelly (before I even had my coffee!!).

I haven't seen him since this morning, but I hear them in the trees so I know they're still around. This is the first time I've ever seen them in late summer.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9635100

N.A.N. *big grin* that you had an oriole!!

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9635106

Eurasian Collared Doves - non-Native nuisance, but they have their cute moments
Male Black-chinned Hummingbird

Thumbnail by pollengarden   Thumbnail by pollengarden         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9635170

Nanny :-)

Cute, pollengarden!

This morning a juvie hummer hovered at our kitchen window just looking at me. It was close enough to see it was a young male. The feeders are getting a lot of activity now and one of their favorites is just outside that window.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2013
1:44 AM

Post #9639730

I've been lurking and enjoying everyone's bird pix. I finally got around to getting photos ready to post. Some are from several weeks ago.

First, a couple (? a pair) of Glossy Ibis
Second, a few Carnaby's Black cockatoos from a larger flock
Third, Great Crested Grebe
Fourth, White-cheeked Honeyeater
Fifth, New Holland Honeyeater

This message was edited Aug 24, 2013 4:19 PM

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2013
1:48 AM

Post #9639731

Pied Oystercatcher
Purple Swamphen
Willie Wagtail
Tiger snake (I know it's not a bird but it was taking a leisurely swim next to them)

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

August 24, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9639935

Are the snakes a danger to young water birds?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9639944

Margaret ~ your pics are gorgeous...and so many unusual birds (to me, anyway)!! It's really hard to pic a favorite, but the Glossy Ibis pair look so sweet and loving!

OMG...the Tiger Snake looks really long (or maybe it just looks that way in the picture). Are they dangerous?

We still have Goldfinches everywhere and the numbers are growing as more of the babies fledge. I haven't had any luck getting good pics, though. We really enjoy listening to their constant singing.

That's funny... I cross-posted with IrisMA and we were both wondering the same thing about the snake!

This message was edited Aug 24, 2013 9:44 AM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9640271

Spotted Flycatcher, Curlew Sandpiper

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin         

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9640474

Iris and nuts, the tiger snake is one of the most venomous snakes in the world. They will usually retreat rather than confront, but if covered, will strike without hesitation. And yes, they do take birds.

Australasian Shoveler
Caspian Terns (from yesterday)
Red-capped Plover (female, with male in background)
Red-capped Plover (male)

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9640475

One more of the Glossy Ibis

Thumbnail by MargaretK

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9640505

Beautiful pics, Resin!! The landscaping in the second one is also very unique and attractive. Where is that?

Thanks for the info on the Tiger Snake, Margaret. I'm glad to be way over here! I certainly hope you were a good distance away, as well.

Lovely pics!! Is the Glossy Ibis as iridescent as it appears?

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9640568

Thanks, nuts. I was probably 30' from the snake. At this particular wetland, the tiger snakes are so prolific that you really do have to watch where you're putting your feet. It's a place where you don't venture into long grass because the chances are pretty good that you'd step on one. I don't know if they've ever done an estimate of the tiger snakes and dugites at Herdsmans Lake, but I reckon there'd be tens of thousands of them.

Yes, the glossy Ibis really is as glossy as it appears in the pix.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9640802

Beautiful variety of birds there Margaret. The snake population must keep rodents in check there. Resin, the flycatcher and the sandpiper are neat as well.

Brown Pelicans from Gulf Shore Al.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9640913

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]The landscaping in the second one is also very unique and attractive. Where is that?[/quote]
!!!!!

It's just bits of seaweed washed up on the beach!

Like the Red-capped Plover, really smart bird.

Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9640998

Today I have seen 3 adult male and 1 female Baltimore Oriole. I am thrilled that the migrants keep finding us. It just amazes me...how do they locate our 2 little dishes??? I am in awe of nature yet again!

Also have a shot of a humming bird checking out the jelly dish!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56      

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9641064

[quote="Resin"]
!!!!!

It's just bits of seaweed washed up on the beach!

Resin
[/quote]
Well to you it may look ordinary cause you were right there... but in the photo the colors really pop!! Live with the compliment :-)

Margaret, you'd hope the birds would go somewhere else, but I suppose the snakes would follow...Ugh!

Lily, great in-flight shot!! Did you take that with your new camera?

Nanny, I bet there's a big sign on your roof that says "Free Buffet...Specialty today, all the Grape Jelly you can eat"!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9642221

Hi everyone, Nan, it's so neat that you've migrant Orioles. N.A.N. no it was a lucky shot setting on 'sport' for moving objects.

Here goes! My thrill! Wood duck sighting for the 3rd time. I so wanted to set up wooden houses for them, but the area is full of predators. So I wouldn't dare.
1. Female Wood Duck
2. Wood Duck babies' adversary; the GBH

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

August 27, 2013
9:14 PM

Post #9643465

I found this interesting

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2CFckjfP-1E
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9644007

Great shots, LL!
You're probably right about not putting up Wood Duck houses. They might not be any safer in the wild, but hopefully they're well hidden.

Amazing video, Adel...especially the slo-mo shots!

Just a couple of pics to post.

1) Female House Finch cooling off on a very hot day.
(the birdbaths get so much use in the summer, I change the water at least twice a day and wash them weekly)

2) The early evening light did interesting things to the colors of this Mourning Dove, plus the shadows made it look two-tone.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2013 2:01 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9644011

Oops...forgot the birds :-o

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 28, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9644235

[quote="Mrs_Ed"]Bet he has House Finch. We saw those at 4000 ft. in Hawaii on the way to the Mauna Kea Summit!

I can't recall seeing them. Maybe I was blinded by all those lights!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9644548

LOL. All three lights.

They were in those conifer trees above the dinner site.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9644890

Wow...I just spent a while looking through about 6 pages of the past Bird Pics threads! Haven't done that in a while, but I love seeing all the old pics. Each time it's like looking at most of them for the first time all over again. I'm so glad those are all saved.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9646068

I saw my 1st Goldfinch for the duration. Are they migrating South?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9646108

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]Wow...I just spent a while looking through about 6 pages of the past Bird Pics threads! Haven't done that in a while, but I love seeing all the old pics. Each time it's like looking at most of them for the first time all over again. I'm so glad those are all saved.[/quote]

Go back through the other 445 too, while you're at it!? ;-)

Someone want to start #453, please?

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9646257

Hah! I'd love to go through the rest ...someday when I have about 5 years to spare!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2013 8:53 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9646982

Please head on to here for the next volume!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1331352/

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America