Daily Bird Pics (and Conversation) #452

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone!
Okay, here's our new thread...Welcome!! And as always, don't forget to go back to the old threads occasionally. I know I sure do.

I'll start this edition with an assortment of Oriole pics taken through my kitchen window. It's not the most natural of settings, but the Orioles sooo love their Grape Jelly that it's one of the easiest places to get shots.

We came from HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308773/#new

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Klamath River, CA

Wont be long now.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat
HAINESPORT, NJ

I couldn't get a picture but I saw my first ever Oriole this past week what an awesome looking bird.

HAINESPORT, NJ

I took these today around 4pm. I used my phone because that was in my hand. This bird had no fear I walked out the door and off the porch before he flew away.

Thumbnail by Joeyk210 Thumbnail by Joeyk210
Klamath River, CA

Looks like an American Goldfinch.

South Hamilton, MA

Goldfinchs are very active on our tube feeder. Unlike Chickadees which grab a seed & fly off, finches sit on the perch & go at them.

We were thrilled to find a pair of rose breasted grosbeaks using that feeder. I had never seen those before. Male has no lookalikes, female looks like a big sparrow.

HAINESPORT, NJ

Rose breasted Grosbeaks are cool looking. Had to look them up and have never seen one live but very pretty looking bird. I took this photo earlier this month. We don't normally feed the birds in the summer but we put a feeder right outside the window my Mom sits and looks out of.I thought it would make you smile. I call it Standing room only!

Thumbnail by Joeyk210
South Hamilton, MA

chuckles We get goldfinches stacked up like that.
Leaving our feeder up gave us a glimpse of the grosbeaks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you N.A.N. for the new thread, love those pics. of the Orioles. Adel, soon we'll being seeing Tree Swallows babies? awesome. irisMA, those Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are always a welcoming sight. Here is a Great Blue Heron .

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

You're Welcome, Kim! Ooh, love that GB Heron! We have them here, but I've never gotten a pic.

Yay, cute baby Swallows!

Congrats on the Oriole sighting, Joeyk210! And you now know (from another thread) that those are American Goldfinches.

Congrats irisMA, on the Rose-breasted Grosbeak pair!

I know some people say they take down their feeders in Summer, but if you do, you may miss out on some of the beautiful, colorful birds that show up in Spring. They tend to stay around when there are feeders full of their favorite foods.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2013 8:58 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new start!

Here's a male Pochard

Resin

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ooops! Forgot to add the pic!

Thumbnail by Resin
HAINESPORT, NJ

Resin, he is so pretty.,NAN there is a park I walk through that has a loooong bridge over water and the Blue Heron are always there in the summer. I got real good pictures one day this spring because he decided to hang out on the bridge for a while. The photos are on the bird watching forum somewhere. I have blue bird houses up but as yet they haven't found them, one is older and has some sort of nesting material in there but no sign of life it may be old should I clean it out? Also what food can I use to attract them? IrisMA I am now looking all the time at that feeder hoping for a glimpse of other birds then the finches, I've seen a chickadee so far and was not fast enough with the camera before the finches chased him off.

South Hamilton, MA

Female cardinal on the ground under the feeder this morning. We have a tube feeder so bigger birds get the spilled seed.

PERTH, Australia

Colourful start to the new thread, nuts.

I've had nothing to contribute lately, although yesterday I was sitting out on the back deck enjoying the winter sunshine and a Grey Butcherbird repeatedly landed on the screen of my laptop. It bit my finger when I presented it to him (I expected this to happen). No photo, but here's the link to the DG Birdfile: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/3246/

Here's a really good piece of information. It's today's DG article.http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4260/#discuss

South Hamilton, MA

Margaret--that is a wicked looking beak & I'm not using the New England slang.

PERTH, Australia

They get their name because they impale their prey on large thorns or broken twigs. They have the most beautiful song you'd ever hear and they are also brilliant mimics. I was walking past a tree the other day and a butcherbird was happily mimicking a Carnaby's Black Cockatoo.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

You're Welcome, Resin!
What a gorgeous bird and great shot!! He reminds me of the Canvasback's I used to see years ago (I grew up in California).

Joey ~ Great Blue Herons love rivers. They hang out on the river near my house and I used to see them in other places I lived, along rivers. Occasionally one will fly over my house. Because of their shape, when they're flying they remind me of prehistoric "Pterodactyls".

If you have an old, unused feeder, you really should clean it out. Old nesting material tends to get parasites and other undesirables that can harm baby birds. There's a very active Bluebird thread that Dellrose started in the Bird Watching forum. Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303338/

irisMA ~ Sounds like a Win, Win for all your birds. Even though Cardinals come to feeders, they tend to be ground-feeding birds by choice. They prefer my tray-type feeders over any others because it seems more natural to them, but they also peck around on the ground.

Thanks, Margaret! Interesting bird, that Butcherbird. Also, Thanks for the link!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2013 3:02 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Cardinals have to use the ground here, because our feeder is a tube one to keep out squirrels. The female an handle it, however. Bluejay & grackle keep clearing out the suet feeder. I want woodpeckers!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

irisMA ~ we switch to upside-down suet feeders in Spring to cut down on Blackbird / Bluejay / Starling activity. It definitely helps since it allows the Woodpeckers to eat, but the suet still empties quickly as, inevitably, some of those other guys figure out how to hang just long enough to knock chunks of suet to the ground.

I brought my camera when I went to run some errands a few days ago and stopped at a park on the Fox River on my way home. Didn't get too many good pics, but had fun. My battery was running low so eventually got back into my car to leave.

No sooner had I started the engine when a Great Blue Heron flew by about 20 feet from me (of course!). I quickly turned off the engine and got back out when I saw it land on a private pier right near by. I started taking some pictures even though the angle wasn't great planning to get closer if it took off again. But of course my battery went dead and that was the end of it...oh well!

Here are some of the...not so great...images and a few others as well...also not so great...but hey.

1 and 2- First a female then a male Red-bellied Woodpecker

The last three - Mallard Drakes
We have a pair of Mallards that visit us (and eat corn) several times a day each Spring (for about the last 8 years!), but it's fun to watch bunches of them playing in the river.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I posted the wrong pics first. Here are the GB heron shots.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Lovely pics NAN!

Yesterday morning I watched a robin feed it fledgling jelly from the dishes but I didn't grab the camera fast enough. We may be creating a monster with the jelly!! But did catch this juvie Red-bellied Woodpecker who has been showing where to come!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks nanny!! You're much too kind.
Oh, your juvie is adorable!! You're so right about the grape jelly. I keep a couple of extra jars on the shelf cause it goes so fast.

My GD counted 14 jars in the pantry and was like gee nana!! lol

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

HA! I use about one cup for two weeks in may and then that's it, they are gone.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

14 jars!! Oh man...and I thought I was going through a lot!

Marna, you may not have a lot of Orioles, but you have Butterflies!! All I've seen so far are Cabbage Whites. I guess the others don't much care for rain (and we've had a lot of that).

I hardly have any butterflies. Saw a few last week, but since then only Cabbage Whites! Oh how I wish for the butterflies of a few years ago. My zinnia are just starting to bloom, so maybe, just maybe I'll get some takers. I had a red-eyed vireo at the stream the other day, only got a picture of his bum though!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow...cool!! I never see Red-eyed Vireos. I guess it's possible we've had them in our trees, but I've never seen one on the ground or in the bird baths. Ooh...I want a stream!

It's nesting time! (actually our Goldfinches will be nesting through the end of Summer).
I was really too far away to take these shots so there isn't a lot of detail, but their antics were hilarious. These are two different females. They were taking turns.
This is just a few, but I couldn't stop snapping.

BTW, that rusty-looking feeder isn't as bad as it looks. I's only rusty on the top. The part they eat out of is nice and shiny The other one I have just like it still looks brand new. Don't know what happened to this one.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2013 11:15 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

i highly recommend a stream for bird watchers! Nothing like seeing a group of warblers hanging out in the stream.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Is that a natural stream or did you build it?

built it! Makes for a little bit of country here in town.

It is attached to a small pond, but the addition of a big, stubborn dog in the family has meant that we will be converting it to a pondless waterfall/stream.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

From the assorted pics you've posted, your stream looks so beautiful!!
Not really something we can do at this point, but we do have (kind of) a pond/stream every Spring way in the back of our yard after the snow/ice melts. This year it incorporated one of my flower beds. It's amazing any of the plants survived. The Mallard pair that visits every year loved it, though.

We even had a stream back there a couple of days ago after torrential rains. Only lasted a day, though, so I didn't notice any unusual birds. I keep looking, though. Oh well...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm with you N.A.N about Mrs Ed's stream. I just love the many ways she enjoyed her water feature. I'd have some neat swallows picture to share had I took my camera along during my morning walk! Ark!!! But, this GBH will do I hope.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Trees all around the house are full of Fledgling Baltimore Orioles now!!
Robin Fledglings are here too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh how sweet! Great going Nan.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have started a thread for the Carolina Wrens that are nesting on our balcony...

If you would like to follow their progress, please join us here!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1322911/

Thanks for looking!
Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kim, you have that beautiful lake!! Love those GBH shots!

nanny, those pics are adorable!!

Karen, that nest shot is soooo precious!! I'll be watching your new thread as well.

South Hamilton, MA

I was at the computer this afternoon & heard a small thud. I looked at the window & saw a small chipping sparrow hanging on the screen. It looked stunned for a bit (window was down) & gathered itself together & flew off. We have had birds hit our bay window, but never a small bedroom window.

We are still getting new oriole fledglings brought to the jelly dishes! These are from this morning.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Cordaville, MA

Picture of a Mourning Dove flying to the feeder.

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.