Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: My showy Mountain ash trunk is rotting

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 14, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9561283

It has mushrooms growing on the trunk,I have only had the tree 2yrs now.There is a lot of new growth and flowers on it right now.Do you guys think it will die?Is there anything I should do?

Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9562354

Ok, let me ask you this question...does your dog urinate on the trees? I would also ask the same questions about your blue spruce now that I know you have a dog. I used to work at a veterinary clinic and in the landscaping was a bird's nest spruce that would continually get urinated on by the dogs. It died as a result. I think it had to do with the acidity of the urine.

The ash looks like it may have a canker. Cankers can either be caused by bacteria or fungus. You could try treating it but it looks pretty large for such a tiny tree.

Good luck!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2013 9:16 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9562632

Agree that canker / diseased patch on the trunk doesn't look good. Possibly sunscald followed by fungal infection of the dead bark and wood. Don't think the dog's responsible, the damage is too high.

The tree is a rowan (Sorbus), not an ash (Fraxinus).

Resin

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9562914

The dogs pee on the grass,thats why I have a lot of dead grass lol.I know it's kinda weird having 2 boys put yeah they both pee in the middle of the yard.Okay so canker alright that sucks.

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2014
4:55 PM

Post #9856878

Well this guy is still alive and blooming!

Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez      

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2014
4:58 PM

Post #9856882

I know the ash will eventually die from this right?should I remove it now or later.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2014
5:40 PM

Post #9856925

Let it keep growing.

There are trees that have recovered from worse. Wound wood (callus) is trying to close that damage while the rest of the tree lives. Keep the tree thrifty, well watered and fed, and you may outgrow the problem. You'll at least enjoy it in the meantime...
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2014
5:53 PM

Post #9856938

VV, what does it mean to keep a tree thrifty?

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2014
6:00 PM

Post #9856948

Make sound investments, save for it's seedlings' college fund, don't eat out all the time, wear hand me downs...

I was a bit redundant by writing thrifty, well-watered and fed. I suppose I meant Healthy when I wrote thrifty - meaning, don't let it wilt in hot weather (unhealthy) or strain itself to put on new growth, lush foliage, and additional callus wood. Some fertilization will aid that, too.

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2014
6:13 PM

Post #9856965

I really love this tree so yup we'll see what happens.
Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2014
7:16 PM

Post #9857034

[quote="ViburnumValley"]Make sound investments, save for it's seedlings' college fund, don't eat out all the time, wear hand me downs...[/quote]

Excellent advice. It could've come from my mother...

momlady

momlady
Maple Falls, WA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2014
8:24 PM

Post #9857108

Hark...I hear a voice...why would anybody pay good money for bottles of water...how wasteful to buy lattes...oh yes, that's my mother...and she was right, too!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2014
8:36 PM

Post #9857117

Y'all are hilarious!

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2014
3:39 PM

Post #9884800

I can not believe this tree still going strong and double the flowers/berries then last year.

Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez   Thumbnail by queenbeez

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2014
8:01 PM

Post #9885811

Wow, that looks real good. It seems to have gotten over it and is now callusing around the blemish. There is much hope for this guy :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America