Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Multi-colored Hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 18, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Asears
Ashland, VA

June 16, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9561400

This is a 3 yr old Hydrangea. I have seen Hydrangea's gradually change color and in the process having color variations on the blooms. I have never seen one with such distinctive color differences. I understand soil being alkaline, or acidic giving blooms on Hydrangea's their color. But could some one explain how this bush could have such prominent color differences. There are bright pink, blue, lavender and some blooms that are pink and blue split right down the middle of the bloom.

Thanks,
Angie

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by Asears   Thumbnail by Asears
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 22, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9608603

I have that same hydrangea ,it also give me gave me different color flowers and I also have the same Stella doro lily planted next to it.I took a flower to my flower show and I got a red ribbon and a Merit award which is first place,so just enjoy your plant
Scarborshannon
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9609426

I read somewhere that Hydrangea color is not decided by the plant but by the PH in the soil, higher and lower produces blue, or pink, neutral would be white. Yours are beautiful.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9609860

You probably have neutral pH soil. I'd love to have that in my garden. Mine are blue since I'm at the beach. With our sand, the soil is acidic.
The only hydrangeas that aren't affected by the pH are the white ones, they're white no matter what.
Barb
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9610447

My Endless Summer did the exact same thing this year...maybe my dumping cold coffee on it on occasion did it...hmmmm.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9611811

Wow...that is so cool!! I'm with everyone else on this one. I don't really know why the blooms can't make of their minds, but I would say enjoy it.

I wonder if your soil is basically neutral with bits of both acid and alkaline in different spots?

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9611814

Mine also. I am pretty sure it was the rain...rain...rain...washed the acidity right out of the soil!
Baa

July 25, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9611883

Sorry but neutral pH does not turn the Hydragea white, white flowered Hydrangeas remain white regardless of pH although the old, dying flowers may turn pinkish or reddish with age and decay, it's not due to the same thing as the blue/pink Hydrangea.

The colour of the pink/blue Hydrangea is governed by chemicals in the plant through inheritance and aluminium levels in the soil. Aluminium is commonly present in many soils however it is more easily taken up by plants in acidic soils hence the bluer colours in lower pH soils.

The aluminium is absorbed through the roots and taken up to the flowers where it reacts with a pigment and a co-pigment. If the aluminium is not readily taken up because the soil is more alkaline the pigment and co-pigment are still existent in the plant, they just haven't been activated.

Some Hydrangea cultivars have tendancies towards blue or pink but even these carry the ability to be changed through their chemical makeup.

For plants like yours where there are both colours present it's quite hard to say what's happening for certain. Have you bought in soil from elsewhere? Are the footings of the building alkaline while the soil tends more towards acidity? Do you water with hard or soft water? The roots appear to be finding aluminium, acid and alkaline influences in the soil.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9611942

My true blue acidic-soil grown hydrangeas that have bloomed reliably AND consistently blue for 10 years is doing this (this) year. Nothing new done to the soil or surrounding area. The only change is floods, torrential, "Noah get yer ark" level rainfall. Could that have caused leeching of cement foundation into soil ... Perhaps...I would assume cement is alkaline.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2013 8:56 PM
miltonr72

July 26, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9612148

wow it looks so amizing...what a nice post keep sharing these kind of useful information.
Dhaila
Haldawani
India

July 26, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9612401

I think the greenish yellow flowers are the youngest and as they age they become purplish blue and at the last stage they take on the pinkish hue. This phenomenon is common to few other plants and flowers
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 26, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9612480

Dahlia you may be able to enlarge and see that those well formed blooms have some pale green, blue and pink on same bloom. My experience with our shrub is that the individual blooms go blue totally and when they fade..they fade uniformly. The blooms don't have different levels of maturity on each separate bloom but yes some blooms are older than others and age accordingly.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 1, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9618604

This is my plant that was in the yard when I bought the house 7 years ago

Thumbnail by cytf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Scarborshannon
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9619441

I love reading these threads I learn so much. Its great to know!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 3, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9620235

I must share my results from my garden club flower show with my garden buddies . That hydrangea that's In the picture won first place and a merit award at the flower show , I was so surprised
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

August 3, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9620261

Well, it is gorgeous. Looks perfect.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

August 7, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9624626

Have any of you guys ever tried shoving copper tubing in the ground around your hydranias? It is supposed to turn them purple. My personal favorite is still the blue. I put in a picture of one of ours before a freak cold snap nearly killed it.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2013 12:01 AM

Thumbnail by Jim41
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

August 8, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9624884

Wow - a beauty. I have heard of copper nails being used in the garden. We have naturally acidic soil so never had to explore the method. -- But I think if purple were possible-- I'd have seen it here. Of course right here on Dave's I have seen folks post "true blue" flower photos that were purple to me -- so no accounting for individual opinions about what is purple and what is not and also there are differences in monitor displaying colors.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

August 9, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9626345

My wife received a beautiful pink hydranis while she was in the hospital. I planted it out away from the house hoping it will stay pink. I'm looking for it turn blue like the rest. If it does I will play with it some and see If I can get it to turn back.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America