Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Multi-colored Hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Asears
Ashland, VA

June 16, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9561494

This is a 3 yr old Hydrangea. I have seen Hydrangea's gradually change color and in the process having color variations on the blooms. I have never seen one with such distinctive color differences. I understand soil being alkaline, or acidic giving blooms on Hydrangea's their color. But could someone explain how this bush could have such prominent color differences. There are bright pink, blue, lavender and some blooms that are pink and blue split right down the middle of the bloom.

Thanks,
Angie

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 9:30 PM
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 17, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9562353

It can only be because the soil it is growing in has a mixture of Acidic and Alkaline. The problem could occur when the plant has been growing in it's pot with say, alkaline soil and you have planter it into acidic soil IF that's what your yard has, maybe a soil test bought for a few dollars from garden store would tell you what type of soil you have, BUT make sure you test several areas in your yard as you would be amazed at to the soil PH variations from one area to the other, not always but often it is the case. Hope this helps you a bit and your trouble can be resolved soon.
Best regards WeeNel.
Asears
Ashland, VA

June 18, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9563195

Thank you. I will do a soil test. I do have other hydrangeas in another border and they are all blue. Last year this one was all pink. I don't mind the mixed colors at all. I think its really pretty. I posted pic. but for some reason they did not show. Im going to try again.
Thanks for your help.
Angie

Thumbnail by Asears   Thumbnail by Asears         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9568873

I like the color mixture. Its like having a few plants of different color grow in one spot. If only I could get the same thing to happen to my coneflowers! The bright purple is a eye-catcher in my back yard, so having white mixed in would look wonderful. If there is a way to keep that color split on your hydrangeas, I would strive to keep it like so.

-Bloomfly

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9569833

That looks very much like the Kaleidoscope series of H macrophylla... I have the Homigo cultivar and it can have shades varying from pale green, pink/red to pale blue.dk blue

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/83460/

Bloomfly, why not add White Swan to your coneflowers?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48966/
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9571597

I very well might Moonhowl. I hear my local Lowe's is getting a small shipment of Coneflower. Maybe they have it in white.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9571721

Cool...it is a nice little plant.
danielburns271
Sydney
Australia

June 24, 2013
11:11 PM

Post #9572169

WOOW! Great combination of colors.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America