Beginner Gardening: Safety of a vegetable garden near a buried pet

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
Forney, TX

June 17, 2013
1:13 AM

Post #9561791

I am planting a vegetable garden for my mother. She has a buried pet in the back of the yard. How far away from the pets remains is safe to put in a vegetable garden and not be worried about eating them?
New Port Richey, FL

June 17, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9561838

Sorry about your Mom's pet. My parents and grandparents always buried the remains of fish, slaughtered hogs, chickens, rabbits and deer in the garden. Depending on deep it was buried I probably wouldn't dig directly above it for a few months.

Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9561995

I agree with flsusie. My parents and grandparents did the same thing.
Tiskilwa, IL

June 18, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9564419

You really should be fine, most likely. Do you mean it was buried recently? If it's been there a year it will make no difference at all.

The only problem you could have is coming into actual contact with the body by digging too deep. (Why flsusie says to maybe not dig directly over it depending how deep down it is. If it's six feet under, no problem.) You could just plant something spreading (cukes or melons or something) beside it and let that spread over its area, if you want to avoid digging there. Vegetables grown over it will be extra fertilized & can't pass germs on to you through their root contact with anything down there (totally unlike issues with chemicals in the soil or whatever, which plants can pass on). The only way germs could get passed on to you would be direct contact with something you were going to eat (eg it gets turned up somehow & some of it gets on the tomatoes or whatever.) Not very likely to happen at all and anyway you'd notice if it did!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America