Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Safety of a vegetable garden near a buried pet

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Aulora
Forney, TX

June 17, 2013
1:13 AM

Post #9561791

I am planting a vegetable garden for my mother. She has a buried pet in the back of the yard. How far away from the pets remains is safe to put in a vegetable garden and not be worried about eating them?
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

June 17, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9561838

Sorry about your Mom's pet. My parents and grandparents always buried the remains of fish, slaughtered hogs, chickens, rabbits and deer in the garden. Depending on deep it was buried I probably wouldn't dig directly above it for a few months.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9561995

I agree with flsusie. My parents and grandparents did the same thing.
SwallowFeather
Tiskilwa, IL

June 18, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9564419

You really should be fine, most likely. Do you mean it was buried recently? If it's been there a year it will make no difference at all.

The only problem you could have is coming into actual contact with the body by digging too deep. (Why flsusie says to maybe not dig directly over it depending how deep down it is. If it's six feet under, no problem.) You could just plant something spreading (cukes or melons or something) beside it and let that spread over its area, if you want to avoid digging there. Vegetables grown over it will be extra fertilized & can't pass germs on to you through their root contact with anything down there (totally unlike issues with chemicals in the soil or whatever, which plants can pass on). The only way germs could get passed on to you would be direct contact with something you were going to eat (eg it gets turned up somehow & some of it gets on the tomatoes or whatever.) Not very likely to happen at all and anyway you'd notice if it did!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America