Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Wood Pecker?

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 18, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9563221

For years I have been trying to get a photo of the wood pecker that loves the bugs in our trees. I always thought it was a red headed wood pecker but now I am not sure. I hope the photo is clear enough for identification. I was walking back up to the house from out back when I spotted woody and his mate Waay up in a tree. I had my camera on still so I gave it a shot. His mate eluded me completely and I only got one chance at woody.

Thumbnail by Joeyk210
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9563262

He's a Red-bellied Woodpecker. His mate looks almost the same, except she only has the Red color on the back of her head & neck.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Joeyk210
HAINESPORT, NJ

June 18, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9563312

Whats in that feeder? How close to your house do you have it and how low to the ground? Oh and thank you for the information. As always very good photo.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9563450

The feeder is filled with Suet. That particular feeder is one of the "upside-down" types. They're shaped kind of like a "house with a roof". When I first switch over to them from the typical suet cages, the Woodpeckers don't realize there's suet in them so I hang the feeders "sideways" until they get used to them. That's what you see in this picture taken early Spring. We now have them upside-down like they should be.

Most of the year we use the regular suet cages, but in Spring we tend to get lots of Blackbirds and Bluejays that quickly devour the suet. Since it's hard for those birds to eat on their backs, the suet lasts longer and the Woodpeckers can eat in peace with the "upside-down" feeders.

That one is hanging on a heavy-duty Shepherd's hook with 4 separate hooks. It's about 5 feet high and about 30 feet from the house, but you can hang suet feeders anywhere. Many people just hang them in trees or on the tree trunks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America