Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Pinching new growth?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9564078

Hi all,

I was wondering, is it a good practice to pinch out new growth on most winter and direct sown annual and perennial seedlings to promote a bushier plant? I find some of my WS annuals to be a bit lanky. Thanks
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9564230

I think it depends on the plant.

If you are finding the plants are a bit lanky, and you are growing them in the right amount of sun, then pinching sure can help. This works only for plants that actually produce a stem, of course. Something that only shows leaves above the ground cannot be pinched. If these leaves are small, on long petioles or in other ways showing they want more light, then the only way to make them dense is to grow them in a brighter location.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 20, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9566188

Diane is right about depending on the type of plant you are finding to be leggy or taller but not enough side shoots.

I find the best time to pinch out seedlings is when they are about2-3 inches tall and only IF they are meant to grow side shoots, so things like Fuchsia, Geraniums, both bush and hanging / trailing, there are many plants that require this type of help to get them to form tight but bushy plants and you really would need to read up each type of plant you grow but the sooner they get pinched out the better as IF you wait too late, you dont get flowers till way into the flowering season and by then, most new gardeners are loathed to remove the growing tip because they just want a flower instead of a bunch of flowers per plant.

Diane has also hit on the light the plants are receiving and this might be a problem at germination time, seeds dont need strong hot sun to germinate but they do require good LIGHT otherwise they start to stretch upwards ?tall just to try reach better light so I try every few days to rotate my trays of seedlings so the one side of the try / Pots dont get constant light and the furthest away side gets very little, by rotating the pots / trays the seeds get an even amout of light and they wont topple over either once they are too tal.
Outside direct sewing is the same, make sure there is no shade reaching one side or the seedlings and bright on the other, I no longer do direct sewing for that reason due to our weather here, darkness for longer in day time.
I use seed trays or individual pots (small) and sew, place these in a better situation but sheltered from cold or wind, and transfer the seedlings when large enough to handle.
Hope this helps you out a little along with Diane's help too.
Good luck and best regards. WeeNel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9571209

Generally, pinching a growth tip results in bifurcation of the tip, which can exacerbate legginess. Agree, knowing what plants are in question would help.
danielburns271
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2013
12:18 AM

Post #9572180

Indeed, it all boils down to what type of plant is being involved.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America