Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Why is my zucchini fruit turning yellow?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Papabukk

Papabukk
Galt, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9564120

Hi I'm new here at DG's. I'm also new to gardening. I've got some great looking zucchini plants and have harvested a half dozen or so. Recently my fruits are growing normal so I assume they've been pollinated there are bees in the flowers daily. Any way they get yellow at tip of fruit and slowly turn entire fruit yellow and ugly. There are several new fruits growing. They are still small two three four inches still with flower attached. Really would like these not to yellow. The yellowed fruit also appear to be kinda rotten when I finally pull them.
Thanks in advance for any helpful info and/or tips.
Papabukk
Ps. This fruit is bout 6 inches long. Three days ago it had about 3/4 inch yellow tip. Now it's half the fruit.
Thanks again.

Thumbnail by Papabukk   Thumbnail by Papabukk   Thumbnail by Papabukk
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9581218

bukk,

Im new here too. It looks like you have been here long enough to figure out that zucchini is not a fruit.

Hows the weather out there, hot n sunny? Im guessing too much hot sun, sun scald. Ive seen similar on dark-colored watermelons in the dead of summer.

just ribbin' ya with the fruit jab.
13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2013
3:15 AM

Post #9584335

Hi Pb.
I am having the same trouble and was told nonpollination was the problem. Even if I have bees I have only one blossom open a day, so it's a little difficult for "the act" to take place. I'm trying artificial pollination and cross-cucurbita pollination.

But on the other hand, my zukes are much smaller than yours yet when green part lightly cooked -- *Delicious!"

Good luck.

Turtle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America