Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: rhubarb ready?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

June 19, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9565610

When can I harvest a few stalks from my second years plants? The stalks are getting plump-
should they be a certain height?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9579396

I see no one answered you. You might be able to do a light picking now although the season is basically over. Rhubarb doesn't seem to grow quickly in hot weather.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 1, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9582619

Funny, I had already decided to take some stalks- they were the right thickness as described by an e-how of some kind - I slogged through a very high advertisment to information ratio to find that the stalks should be pink to crimson and 1/2 to 1inch thick.

So I did - I left plenty of leaf and stalk. They don't seem to be growing fast but they are still growing. This is one very very weird summer here on the seaboard we are not baking hot like the entire rest of the continent and this week it is more on and off rainy than anything, so another growth spurt for most of my plants.

Thanks for taking pity on me and answering!
Heather
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9584541

Not every rhubarb plant is red or pink. The size you describe is right. You said you left plenty of leaf and stalk. You may already know this. The correct way to harvest rhubarb is to grasp the stalk and break it off at ground level. I find the easiest way to do that is to pull the stalk sideways and it should break right off.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 7, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9590659

OH. i have been using scissors. Once cooked down, I got about 3/4 cup.

We have had so much rain that everything is growing madly- my front yard is so wild my neighbors likely hate me-I keep meaning to trim it back but it when it isn't too hot to live it is thunderstorming again!

Anyhow, this rhubarb should go well with peach and make a pie, we will call it a year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America