Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

June 20, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9566823

These are the peonies and hostas that my honey planted several years ago. I've talked him into getting a couple more of each to fill in the dead spots. I'm thinking of some pretty white ones to play off the pink. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9567239

Your peonies look very nice. I especially like pic #2. I think I'd be a bad person to ask about which color to get because I am all about color and if I were you I'd get some bold orange or peach color.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9567379

Very pretty pictures...I always thought peonies required a lot of sun...but yours look great in partial shade...I may have to rethink some of my hosta ideas :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 21, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9567847

What a beautiful display and garden bed you have both created, all credit to you and your dear Husband, team work always helps and makes for a happy garden every time.

I'm a bit like Sequoiadendron4, when it comes to colour, not too sure I could pick nice pastel colours as I'm more of an in your face shock them all, kind of girl even when it comes to summer clothes, I just love bright clothes as were in drab winter browns, grey's and dull colours all winter. Jeeeeees, let me be a store buyer for a day, I'm sure the department would be unrecognisable.

Anyway Gracesmom, you did ask so, I would go for those lovely crimson double flowering ones, white beside the pastel pink IF you must but maybe a very deep pink would look even better, I also love the type that have reddish tint on the leaf as that looks great even when the flowers have faded.

Whatever you choose, grow them in a pot and you can always move them about next year while the new ones are in flower and then decide best groupings for good colour either co ordination or mixtures of clash.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9568011

Very pretty ...
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9568016

White, and then some deep maroon for contrast. Love those Hostas, do you know the name of them?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9570944

Hi Gracesmom. I ran across this link a few days ago and your post reminded me of it...I thought the picture was striking and then had to look at all the varieties of peonies. Maybe it will strike a note with you.

http://www.hiddenspringsflowerfarm.com/
danielburns271
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2013
12:20 AM

Post #9572181

WOW! Lovely peonies..

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9572465

Yes, they are...makes me wish i could grow them here.
JuanaJennifar
Charleston, WV

July 8, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9591087

Your post is very beautiful, I'll appreciate your work because I(floralmachine.com) can see this lovely after long time.
Scarborshannon
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9591756

Very nice photos

rteets

rteets
Stroudsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9612560

You certainly have beautiful peonies and hostas alike. My suggestion would be to branch out a bit. Peonies are spectacular, for about two weeks. Very short time. I would go with another shrub, weigela of some kind perhaps? Maybe with variegated leaves? Or maybe Amsonia Hubrechtii that would give you three seasons of beauty. I've included pictures of the amsonia for you. It blooms blue in the spring, has lovely soft foliage in the summer and turns brilliant gold in the fall. The size would also be perfect for you. I think it would be great to add some of the tiny, blue hostas in your garden. I don't know a variety to tell you as I have too much of a deer issue for hostas, but I know there are many of them. Check them out. Just my ideas...

Thumbnail by rteets   Thumbnail by rteets   Thumbnail by rteets      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America