Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Red, Black, and Green Salsa

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 0, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9567897

There are lots of "Mexican Flag" (red, white, and green) salsa recipes around. The three basic colors usually come from ripe tomatoes, chopped onions, and cilantro, and I've made various versions of such fresh, uncooked "pico de gallo" salsas for years. They're very good.

Recently though, I got wild and changed some things in a batch of salsa. It came out GREAT, it got eaten up real quick, and I got lots of compliments on it. Now family and friends are asking when I'm going to make that RED, BLACK, and GREEN one again.

Here's what I did, and no claims as to authenticity are made regarding any known tribe, culture, or nationality anywhere on Earth - it sure goes good on tortilla chips, though!
-------------------------------------------------------

RED, BLACK, and GREEN SALSA

(Mexican Flag Salsa as amended)

8 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped by hand.

6 medium-size green tomatillos, husked, sticky coating washed off, and liquefied in a food processor.

¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, these get smooshed in the food processor along with the tomatillos

6 green onion stalks including bulbs, finely chopped by hand.

½ a large celery stalk, the leafy end including leaves, finely chopped.

3 tiny Maui Purple Peppers, finely chopped. For me, this produces the perfect “runny nose and slight pain while eating” heat level. Any hot pepper variety will do, quantity to be adjusted accordingly and heat level to the way you want it.

1 15 oz. can chopped green chilies. Add all the chilies and half the juice.

1 15 oz. can chopped black olives, discard the juice.

Another ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped by hand.

1 tsp. Garlic salt.

1 T brown sugar (those tomatillos were sour). I'd omit the sugar if the salsa tastes balanced and not too acidy at this point. When I start getting sweeter tomatoes and tomatillos from the garden, sugar won't be needed. This batch was made from supermarket produce.

2 T olive oil.

Stir and keep refrigerated. The flavors blend and it gets even better after 12 hours or so.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America