Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Various large veg pots on a deck benefit from raised base?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9568440

-Does the heat from sun on a deck effect large 14-16"pots, and would they benefit from having wood bases raising them slightly?
-Ive got various large pots going, so some may like the heat? There's a cherry tom, basil, ichiban eggplant, cubanelle pepper, and pole beans? (think I remember eggplant liked to be hot for example)

Thanks

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9568717

i think only your heat loving plants would benefit from there. I myself have tried this with 5 gallon sized pots for my tomatoes, our deck always gets scorching hot from the sun, and the tomatoes usually are not a fan of heat, they stop producing at 90F +

also tried pepper and cucumber on this deck, both could'nt take the heat either. This is my first year planting in an actual in ground garden down lower in the yard and they have been taking off like weeds so far. If you could perhaps move the less heat tolerant plants to a sunny spot off of the deck it would be a big help IMHO.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9569306

The deck itself might benefit. More air flow under the pots will dry it out better, so the wood will not rot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America