Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Mulch for vegetables in conainers?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9569736

Ive got various large 14-16" pots going, there's a cherry tom, basil, ichiban eggplant, cubanelle pepper, and pole beans. Usually never get around to trying any mulch in my containers. They are currently mostly 1/2miracle gro,1/2 moisture miracle gro potting mix, and some older potting mix re-used towards the bottom.

-Any easily found/purchased mulch suggestions, or don't mulch etc.?
-Isn't there something about pebbles for things like rosemary, sage, thyme, that like to be dry quicker?
-Would other veg benefit from pebbles?
-Pine bark fines seem like the same texture as the potting mix, so not a good choice?

Thanks

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 11:10 AM
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9570011

I would not worry too much about mulching containers, but here are a few possible reasons to mulch:

If you are in a windy location, and the soil dries too fast. Mulch with a fine bark or chips that is OK to mix with the soil at the end of the season, or else a coarser material that you will scrape off before you re-use the soil. Too fine a material will just blow away.

Plants that prefer drier conditions could be mulched with pebbles. Many of these are perennials, so you will not be repotting and reusing the soil as often. Still, make it a pebble size that you can salvage easily when it is time to repot. These will help the soil stay loose and open at the surface for better air/water exchange.

When I grow things in containers I am usually packing things in there so close that I cannot see the soil, anyway, so the plants themselves provide many of the benefits of mulch.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America