Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Need plant that looks like firestick (euphorbia tirucalli)

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eikehjort
Akershus
Norway

June 24, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9570752

HI! I need to know if there are any green plants that looks similar to Firestick/Pencil plant (euphorbia tirucalli).

I bought a firestick (all green, 25" tall) and love it. But after reading about the severe pain and blindness it can cause if you happen to get plantjuice on you, I want to return it.

It is such a good looking plant, so I want to get another plant that looks like it. Does anyone know about a lookalike I can buy instead? One that doesnīt have extremely painfull blinding plantjuice.

Thank you :)

Thumbnail by Eikehjort
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9571048

Rhipsalis, although the ones I've seen are dangling.
Portulaca, on a smaller scale.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9571065

not the same leave structure, but equally dramatic is this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167035/
there is a chance of irritation with this one also but i've never experienced it and have handled many of them. any of the Euphorbias are likely to have that caveat.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9571066

I agree...the closest i could think of would be Rhipsalis cereuscula rice cactus

http://doleaf.com/listings/980-rhipsalis-cereuscula-rice-cactus-rhipsalis-cereuscula

or Hatiora herminea

http://rhipsalis.com/species/hermin.htm

or Hatiora salicornioides

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eaKbvlcIK10/S9uSleVrmxI/AAAAAAAAH6k/0KjYJwSmzII/s1600/hatiora salicornioides (own)A.jpg
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

June 24, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9571123

trackinsand wrote:not the same leave structure, but equally dramatic is this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167035/
there is a chance of irritation with this one also but i've never experienced it and have handled many of them. any of the Euphorbias are likely to have that caveat.

E. thithymaloides is also dangerously poisonous.

A lot of desert plants with terete leaves/stems are toxic. I would consider widening your search to other forms.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9571276

i don't agree that it has the same potent reaction as 'Firesticks' but maybe for some people it would. i've known several people, many in fact, who grow E. thithymaloides as a houseplant with no effects but that is not to say that i would have it around pets or children.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

June 24, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9571349

E. thithymaloides toxicity is well-documented in the literature. It is classed as a 1b danger, one level below E. tirucalli.

edited to correct spelling : tirucalli

This message was edited Jun 24, 2013 12:16 PM
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9571364

Do ;you have small children or pets? I grow a tirucallis and root cuttings and give away. I have gotten the sap on me a few times and Im not blind. I usually wear gloves if Im handling a plant with milky sap but Ive never had any type of reaction. I have adult cats who dont notice it or bother it in any way. I think kittens might be at risk, however.
Eikehjort
Akershus
Norway

June 24, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9571636

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will see if I can find any of the ones you mentioned here in Norway :) I have pets, but my cat only care for more grass-like plants. I think I will stay away from the E. thithymaloides, allthough it is a beautiful plant!

I returned the E. tirucalli as in the window I had it I have blinds, and the window is opened daily, so as it was quite big I had to be really carefull not to break any branches. I have other poisonous plants but they are not as easily breakable and they canīt blind me :) Thanks again for all the replies!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9571732

You are most welcome. Good luck finding a replacement plant.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

June 24, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9571786

Didn't know the Pencil Tree was so popular. It is becoming a weed in dry areas here; it forms 20 ft. tall impenetrable hedges. In windward areas it is less aggressive and manageable.

The common lore here is that you don't eat it or get it in your eye; wash up after trimming or removing the plant; keep pets that like to chew, away from it; then it is safe.

http://www.starrenvironmental.com/images/species/?q=euphorbia tirucalli&o=plants

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9572130

It only has painful sap if you injure it... it won't bite you if you dont mess with it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America