-
AuthorContent
Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9571682

Sorry it's me again. Sorry for posting a lot lately but I'm super noob at this and this is my first year doing anything that doesn't practically grow itself and you are all the most knowledgeable gardening hivemind collective on the internet(You're like the Borg of Gardening...bad star trek joke).
Anyway, I have some zinnias that I sprouted from seed indoors that grew wonderfully. I transplanted them outdoors and they didn't grow, just sat there healthy with 3 and 4 sets of leaves. You helped me determine that they weren't getting enough sun. I moved them out to the condo garden where it is sunny all day and have been checking on them(and my moonvine which is...struggling at best) and two days ago finally started growing a new set of leaves.
Just went out to check on them and give them some water and one of them is starting to brown and dry. It almost looked "burned". I've been keeping them watered and the sun hasn't really been that blazing hot here in Utah. 80's in the day and 60's at night with a lot of clouds lately.
Is it now getting TOO much sun? It's getting sun pretty much from sun up until sun down. They were sprouted in and moved into miracle grow soil.
Thanks for any help
Kall

This message was edited Jun 24, 2013 6:59 PM
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9572059

It may simply be transitioning from a more protected location (house, part shade and cloudy weather all reduce the sun) to more sun. Keep on watering, mulch to keep the soil moist between watering.
As the roots spread into the surrounding soil you can probably water less often.
danielburns271
Sydney
Australia

June 24, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9572166

Quoting:It may simply be transitioning from a more protected location (house, part shade and cloudy weather all reduce the sun) to more sun. Keep on watering, mulch to keep the soil moist between watering.
As the roots spread into the surrounding soil you can probably water less often.

Indeed, unarguably true.
Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9572664

Thanks so much! I never realized that plants and flowers could get that kind of shock after being used to a certain amount of sun even tho they require more, but it makes perfect sense. I really appreciate. Diana_K you're always such a big help in my threads and I appreciate it!
Kall
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9573089

Yes, plants that are growing in the shade, no matter how much sun they could tolerate grow thinner leaves, so whatever light is there can get into the leaf so it can photosynthesize.
When that thinner leaf is exposed to more sun than it was used to it can burn.
If you can transition the plants with a little more sun each day the leaves can grow a bit sturdier, better able to handle the sun, and the new leaves certainly will be able to handle it.
Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2013
10:59 PM

Post #9573511

Wonderful, I can do that. I can move them slowly to transition to full sun so they don't overload and burn like this. Thanks again
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 26, 2013
1:49 AM

Post #9573557

Hi Kall, I agree with Diane about the problems some plants (most Plants in-fact) do have a struggle / shock when being moved, transplanted or severely pruned and need a little time, a bit more care and a watchful eye kept on them for a good fee weeks just to make sure that they are able to adjust to the new environment /new regime and probably new temps / light/ and soil conditions but now you know it is not just us humans that need time to resettle your on your way to understanding a bit more about your new found hobby of gardening.

OH and please don't feel "SORRY" about asking questions, that is what Dave's Garden Site is for, also, think others who come onto the site may have wanted to ask the same questions or need the type of advice offered by others, it's a friendly site and is for all types of skills to do with Gardening.
Keep asking !!!!.
Best of luck and happy gardening. WeeNel.
Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9580819

I moved to the pot with the Zinnias to a medium sun location in the center of the condo garden, the leaves are still pretty dry and crispy(the second one is also starting to be affected but is still hanging on). The bigger one has started to grow it's 6th set of leaves and they appear to feel fresh so I'm hoping that it's overcoming,adapting and growing through it. I can't help but feel it should be growing fast tho. Maybe once it fully adjusts
Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9580844

Here is a kind of before and after. The first picture is when they were sitting in that "Stasis" period in my back yard with only 3-4 hours of sun. The next two are after they have been moved. I really haven't realized how much they have grown in such a short time.

Thumbnail by Kalloused   Thumbnail by Kalloused   Thumbnail by Kalloused      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Kalloused
Orem, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9583676

I just went to check on them, I don't think they are going to make it :( they are just getting worse and worse. I put some mulch(bark) on yesterday to help with the moisture and they are barely standing on their own. Stems are starting to turn brown and new set of leaves are dying. Really sad, I was looking forward to these. I planted some new seeds in another pot and who knows maybe I'll get lucky

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America