Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

June 25, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9572875

First time raised bed gardner here. My start from seed seedlings did not do well after transplant so I bought some of the last pepper, zucchini and tomato plants I found at the local nursery. I just put them in the ground two weeks ago and they seem to be doing OK. I have read some info on growing and in that information I have read that you should pinch off the first buds/flowers to encourage plant growth before producing. The Early Girl tomatoes are about 18 inches tall and have the first flowers on them. Cubanelle peppers are about 30 inches high and have a lot of buds. Should I leave them or pinch them off? I haven't read about pinching off the zucchini buds/flowers, would this be beneficial to them as well, they are about 12 inches tall now. Included pics of toms and peppers. Thanks!

Thumbnail by jinxxycat1   Thumbnail by jinxxycat1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9572933

i personally have no idea about the toms and peppers, but i have not bothered with removing the blooms from my summer squash and zucchini, and even then, they had a growth explosion, lol, and are just starting to produce their first fruits now. :)
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9572937

I am sure you can get answers going both ways. It seems to me if you plant a very early variety of tomato you would want the thing to make as fast as it could. To me that means leaving the first blooms on, why plant an early variety and they delay the fruiting. So I guess it depends on if you want to grow big plants or big tomatoes or have early fruits.
As you will see there is no one right way, people garden for many different reasons and thus in many different ways. That would be the least of my worries, I would be more worried about future diseases and pests that will destroy all the early efforts if care is not taken to ward them off.
danderlion
Austin, TX

June 25, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9573007

I routinely pick off blooms on my indeterminate cherry tomatoes, when the plants are just a few feet high. If I do that, the plants will eventually reach six or seven feet high, and be covered with fruit. If they start to fruit when small, the plants just won't get that big. Now, here in central Texas, I put those in the ground in March, so I'm picking off blooms in April. The harvest season for those goes way, beyond that. I should have picked off blossoms on one of my Ichiban eggplants, which fruited when it was about a foot high. I got one nice eggplant off of it a month later, but the plant is now still a foot high. The next flower that fruits will be fruiting off of a plant that big. That was a mistake.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9573008

jinx, pinching off the early flowers is normally done to encourage a bigger plant so it will support the fruit that follows. Once plants go into the reproductive stage, expecially tomatoes and peppers, other areas of growth will slow down (i.e., top growth and root growth). Your plants look like they would do just fine with pinching off the flowers and you should still get plenty of harvest by doing so. By the way, your pepper plants appear to be planted extremely close together, I'd recommend at least 2 ft apart so they have room to branch out and still allow proper air circulation between them.

As for squash, often times the first flowers to come on will be males and those will naturally fall off, no need to pinch those.

Wishing you a great garden this year.

Shoe
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

June 25, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9573420

Thank you all for your responses. They will help me be a better gardener, and my 3 year old son will get to eat something we grew! :).
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9578487

I'm glad I saw this, natural inclination is to let the flowers fruit being excited that the little plants are fruiting and doing o.k. Absolutely you want all the fruit it can yield. I kinda knew of pinching off but was not thinking that way. So, I just "pinched" my small cherry tom (indeterminate sweet 100) and cubanelle pepper flowers.

-Will ichiban japanese eggplant benefit also from pinching? (I recall I only got about 3-4 last time)
-What about my 1st attempt at pole beans?

This message was edited Jun 29, 2013 9:58 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9579303

NY, Pa area is still getting tons of rain a days and cool. We EAT the male squash blossoms many of us, chuckle, great delicacy for hungry farmers. Sometimes the amount of fruits you get has to do with the proper fertilizer they get, eggplants starve for heat, sun and fertilizer (mine get tomato fertilizer since they are both of a family) I don't pinch pepper flowers unless they are irritating me by not setting fruits, then I pinch 1 of a set of 3, and kiss it to the rest of the plant. Same for tomatoes, half the blooms half the fruit to feed til they know what they are gonna do. ENJOY! It will be all right that short, Ping Tung Eggplant fruits get so long they always seem to drag the ground- pick while the eggplant is still shiny! not dull or it will be too old. I do remove bottom leaves on my tomatoes and eggplants, just me.
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9580164

I'll start another thread with the questions of the eggplant and pole beans. I'ts off from the tom and pepper title etc.

Thanks

This message was edited Jun 30, 2013 12:45 PM
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9580195

My feeling is that 30" is plenty big enough to let the pepper set fruit. I'd also let the early girl set fruit. The plant will grow a lot before the tomatoes get big.
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9581375

The cherry tom (sweet 100)and cubanelle pepper I did "pinch" were not even 12" tall and flowering too early. Even my basil is flowering very early (do a type of severe pinching, all flowers got to go on these) It's the cool temps I'd guess.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9581740

Looking at this topic, I realized my mistakes. My California Wonder pepper began flowering when less than a foot tall. When it produced its first pepper, I cut off the other flowers, and did the same thing when my banana peppers produced a pepper. My watermelon vines are less than 2 feet long, and one has a fruit beginning to form on it! Should I cut it off so the vine can grow more?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9582701

No. you'll run out of growing season. Let it grow.
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

July 24, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9611148

I pinched the peppers and the tomatoes and the tomatoes just flourished. The pepper plants, well, they seem to have been doomed from the start.

jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

July 24, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9611152

Pic

Thumbnail by jinxxycat1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 30, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9616689

Hey, Jinxycat, I am also growing a cubanelle under the same wierd weather Kitriana talked about back in June -well since then we have had three heat waves and it is blooming
I have always had trouble with peppers, year after year. Well, I am going to try some blossom pinching!

HeatherY, Brooklyn NY

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America