Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What's for dinner? (Part 45)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308241/ and summer is definitely upon us. So what's cooking at your place these days?

Thumbnail by Terry
Missouri City, TX

Thanks for the new thread.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Terry!

I'm off for a trip to Zurich and then botanizing in the dolomite mountains of northern Italy. I'll be on my own for a few days and have decided to try some walking tours & will be sampling the chocolate & sweets while I'm there. :-)

have fun cooking!
Tam

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Wow, from trying to cook in an unfinished kitchen to the joys of Europe! Have a great trip! And do report back.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Tammy, that is definitely a trip to remember, and bound to come with a lot of great stories - and we want to hear them!

We're having pork chops with a side of saffron rice tonight. I'm going to slice some of my "watermelon" radishes paper-thin and marinate them in a simple sweet-and-sour vinaigrette along with some cuke slices and onion, then crumble some feta on top. I'm also hoping to whip up a frozen banana pudding pie for dessert. Fingers crossed that my plans don't get waylaid.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Tam, I'm GREEN with envy, only DG will not let us change the font color! Have a great time, eat well!!!

Dahlonega, GA

Last night , corn on cob , pinto beans , cornbread , brussel sprouts, southern sweet , cole slaw ,boiled okra
tonight , tomato sandwiches and left over veggies . Maybe a grilled slice of chicken breast for the sandwich

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Tammy what a great trip!

digger- mm mm mm, sounds sooo good.

Turkey meatballs in sauce over rice (''Spicy turkey meatballs' from Cooking Light about two decades ago LOL)

Used one of those in store "spend 25 and use this coupon for X" offers, as usual the 25 turned into $68- feeding five. Meat on the last sale date with coupons off, coupon for special flavor juice, sale on flavors of cereal can't get at Aldi, one jar Hellman's for 1.88. I went because of the Hellman's.

Started a pot of collards the other night still kind of tough- can they soften with two more hours of simmering?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I cook collards, mustards, spinach, and turnips together in a crockpot overnight...never had a tough one yet...

Missouri City, TX

That's a great start on mixed greens, GG.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

maybe i got a 'bad batch' i'm not real familiar. I'll stick with my winter crop mustard greens and spring spinach.

Collards that are past their prime can be really tough. I actually like the 'yellow cabbage collards' better, smaller leaves, and sweeter.

Dahlonega, GA

If they are older , I strip the tender parts from between the veins . Extra work but it's worth it . What are yellow cabbage collards , Darius ? Another name would be what ?

Sally, that's the only name I know for them. I know Laurel has grown them.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104882982
http://www.ncfolk.org/ncfood/cabbagecollards.aspx

Dahlonega, GA

Looks good , Darius . I'll holler for Laurel and check where to get some seeds for Texas garden this winter .
Thanks , loads.
Laurel , oh Laurel , wherefore art thou ?

Columbus, OH

Collards are one of those things I want to like, but just can't.

You might find the yellow cabbage collards decidedly different. You cannot buy them where you are, you'd have to grow a few... but it's worth trying.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You know why most people don't like collards (or other greens)? Cause they usually are eating "bitter" greens, that were picked too large, and too late. Fresh greens are best when the leaves are probably no longer than about 8-10" long. After that, and you're just asking for a puckered face, LOL! (Disclaimer: some people actually LIKE the bitterness of the larger greens, but cook them differently, too...)

One remedy for the bitterness is to add a bit of sugar to the pot while they're cooking. Just enough to cut the bitterness. A couple teaspoons should do, if the greens are just mildly bitter. If they're very bitter, you may need to add a bit more. But, add only enough sugar so you can barely detect it in your pot. Also, a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar will help change the bitterness to a "tang", much more palatable than the bitter aftertaste of tough greens...

Just please do NOT cook a pot of syrupy sweet greens. If you can taste the "sweet" of the sugar, you added too much. But, do try again...

Linda

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I had a deliciously fresh caprese salad for lunch and aspagus ravioli in browned sage butter. The waitress reminded me its Swiss butter. So I am eating well here in Zurich

Tam

Tammy, that sounds wonderful! Is this just a vacation or is there a reason for your trip?

We had French cheeses, pâté de campagne, and fruit for lunch with a baguette. It's a good light meal on a hot day.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I am on vacation. My dad was supposed to join me but had a problem with his foot. Sun I meet up with the group for the botanizing tour. 7 of us from my rock garden society chapter and 8 from UK plus the Swiss botanist as guide

Tam

Tam, most butter in Europe has a higher butterfat content (and less added water) than US butter, plus very often it's from pastured cows. Good stuff!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

The butter I made a week or so ago from frozen heavy cream has virtually NO milk solids in it. I melted some in a frying pan this morning, and there was no residue at all. It tastes wonderful too, and less salty than store butter. Whipping cream is really pricey so I'm not tempted to do this on a regular basis. I do have three small packets of herb butter that I made at the same time and froze. I'm hoarding it.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

A friend brought us strawberry shortcake and raw cream for the whipped cream. In less than 30 sec it was like butter. I have never seen anything like it! This back in NE Pa. All dairy is not alike!

I pay $3.19 for a quart of heavy cream from a nearby dairy. I've forgotten how much butter it makes (quite a bit), but a slightly lesser amount if I don't culture it.

I know cultured and salted butter keeps longer. I have on hand 9 pounds of frozen organic New Zealand butter from pastured cows so it will be a while before I make butter again.

Tam, this local cream is like that... makes butter in no time flat...

Dahlonega, GA

We have a creamery close and can buy raw milk and cream . Gotta try them and soon . Nothing like fresh , hot bread right out of the oven and just churned , warm butter . OMG !

Dahlonega, GA

Celene , I like lots of ham cooked in my collards . Cornbread makes a meal . Cracklins added if you wish .Here comes another 5 lbs .

Sally, I've been envious of the availability of raw milk and cream in NC (said to be for pets only) but I didn't know it was legal in GA. How cool!

Columbus, OH

The first veterinary clinic that employed me saw dairy cattle, so it gives me a lot of prime access to milk and cream. Won't do raw, though.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I grew up on raw milk from the 1950's to the early 70's when I was a child and young adult as my parents milked 25 cows. We always had fresh milk and homemade butter. Nothing better.... :)

Dahlonega, GA

They may treat it with something , Darius . When I get down there , I'll find out more . The P A I see told me about it . Her family has dairy cows .

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I actually don't really like the flavor of raw butter or cream. Drank raw milk for a view years than decided I was getting too much animal proteins. Now I just have my kefir smoothie and meat in small amounts a few times a week

Today I had an apple and a few handfuls of almonds for lunch and a cappuccino at an outdoor cafe later in the afternoon. I am enjoying this solo part of the trip more than I expected.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Tammy, traveling alone can be wonderful, nobody else's schedule, do what you like and go where you please. I'm so glad you didn't pass on the trip. I went to the UK in '76, as my DS and her DH were llving there at the time, and it was great. Spent a month, went to France and Italy via UK tours..best vacation ever!!

Tam, as to the flavor of raw milk or cream... I suspect it's likely a matter of terroir.

My sister has eaten fast foods (and industrial foods from the grocery store) with their chemically engineered flavors for so many years that she now finds real food rather bland, even with condiments.

I've made mayo off and on for years but it doesn't keep long. I'm just beginning to learn to make my own condiments, mainly those that can be lacto-fermented so they keep longer. I just came across a recipe for lacto-fermented mayo, along with a ketchup recipe on the same site. Mustard is a no-brainer even with the wide variety of mustards one can make. Salad dressings may be more of a challenge, but I'm pretty content with EVOO and my homemade herb vinegars.

The chive blossom vinegar I made last month is wonderful, and the currently-steeping Provençal vinegar already makes me salivate just smelling it. It needs to steep another month. Making Raspberry vinegar will be next, assuming I get some raspberries from my canes this year... that bed is in great need of some TLC. A splash of raspberry vinegar on sautéed veggies is outstanding.

I haven't tasted the half gallon of champagne vinegar I just got from Katz in California but the smell is wonderful. It should make great vinegars, or even alone with EVOO on a salad.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm hoping Costco has champagne vinegar so I can try the chive blossom. We let them come up all over at will because the blossoms are pretty and the leaves make a nice textural difference in the flower beds. I can probably find it elsewhere but that would be convenient.

Grew up on raw milk and home churned butter. Milk still taste odd to me, and I didn't like it at all as a child. I used to hold my nose and drink it all down at once. Drove my parents nuts.

Sheila, you can always put the chive blossoms in the cheap distilled white vinegar. It's better than nothing. I considered using my Bragg's ACV when I ran out of champagne vinegar, but was afraid the ACV would overwhelm the chive blossom flavor.

I jam-pack a quart mason jar full of blossoms and then fill with vinegar. That gives me about a pint when I strain the blossoms out after maybe 2 weeks or so. Be sure to cut off as much of the green stems as possible.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

My grand dad was a dairy farmer but I didn't like the taste of his (raw) milk so they bought me store bought. Sure wish I could go back in time and tell them how wonderful they were to me as a child.

Had a yellow curry with prawns and stir fry veggies oh so good

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yum, that give me a thought for the shrimp I've got in the freezer, already cooked.

Thanks Darius, I'll do that if I can't find the champagne vinegar

We had homemade pizza tonight, with garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, olives and mozzarella cheese. Very tasty! A roughly eleven-inch pizza is going to make two dinners for us; we were both stuffed after polishing off half of it. Then we had mixed fresh fruit for dessert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.