Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: What's for dinner? (Part 45)

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 319, Views: 2,315
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9573737

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308241/ and summer is definitely upon us. So what's cooking at your place these days?

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 26, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9573805

Thanks for the new thread.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9574018

Thanks Terry!

I'm off for a trip to Zurich and then botanizing in the dolomite mountains of northern Italy. I'll be on my own for a few days and have decided to try some walking tours & will be sampling the chocolate & sweets while I'm there. :-)

have fun cooking!
Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9574024

Wow, from trying to cook in an unfinished kitchen to the joys of Europe! Have a great trip! And do report back.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9574036

Tammy, that is definitely a trip to remember, and bound to come with a lot of great stories - and we want to hear them!

We're having pork chops with a side of saffron rice tonight. I'm going to slice some of my "watermelon" radishes paper-thin and marinate them in a simple sweet-and-sour vinaigrette along with some cuke slices and onion, then crumble some feta on top. I'm also hoping to whip up a frozen banana pudding pie for dessert. Fingers crossed that my plans don't get waylaid.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9574081

Tam, I'm GREEN with envy, only DG will not let us change the font color! Have a great time, eat well!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 26, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9574082

Last night , corn on cob , pinto beans , cornbread , brussel sprouts, southern sweet , cole slaw ,boiled okra
tonight , tomato sandwiches and left over veggies . Maybe a grilled slice of chicken breast for the sandwich

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9574169

Tammy what a great trip!

digger- mm mm mm, sounds sooo good.

Turkey meatballs in sauce over rice (''Spicy turkey meatballs' from Cooking Light about two decades ago LOL)

Used one of those in store "spend 25 and use this coupon for X" offers, as usual the 25 turned into $68- feeding five. Meat on the last sale date with coupons off, coupon for special flavor juice, sale on flavors of cereal can't get at Aldi, one jar Hellman's for 1.88. I went because of the Hellman's.

Started a pot of collards the other night still kind of tough- can they soften with two more hours of simmering?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9574349

I cook collards, mustards, spinach, and turnips together in a crockpot overnight...never had a tough one yet...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 26, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9574475

That's a great start on mixed greens, GG.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9574528

maybe i got a 'bad batch' i'm not real familiar. I'll stick with my winter crop mustard greens and spring spinach.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9574675

Collards that are past their prime can be really tough. I actually like the 'yellow cabbage collards' better, smaller leaves, and sweeter.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 26, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9574692

If they are older , I strip the tender parts from between the veins . Extra work but it's worth it . What are yellow cabbage collards , Darius ? Another name would be what ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9575182

Sally, that's the only name I know for them. I know Laurel has grown them.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104882982
http://www.ncfolk.org/ncfood/cabbagecollards.aspx
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 27, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9575310

Looks good , Darius . I'll holler for Laurel and check where to get some seeds for Texas garden this winter .
Thanks , loads.
Laurel , oh Laurel , wherefore art thou ?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 27, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9575507

Collards are one of those things I want to like, but just can't.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9575517

You might find the yellow cabbage collards decidedly different. You cannot buy them where you are, you'd have to grow a few... but it's worth trying.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9575635

You know why most people don't like collards (or other greens)? Cause they usually are eating "bitter" greens, that were picked too large, and too late. Fresh greens are best when the leaves are probably no longer than about 8-10" long. After that, and you're just asking for a puckered face, LOL! (Disclaimer: some people actually LIKE the bitterness of the larger greens, but cook them differently, too...)

One remedy for the bitterness is to add a bit of sugar to the pot while they're cooking. Just enough to cut the bitterness. A couple teaspoons should do, if the greens are just mildly bitter. If they're very bitter, you may need to add a bit more. But, add only enough sugar so you can barely detect it in your pot. Also, a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar will help change the bitterness to a "tang", much more palatable than the bitter aftertaste of tough greens...

Just please do NOT cook a pot of syrupy sweet greens. If you can taste the "sweet" of the sugar, you added too much. But, do try again...

Linda

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9575683

I had a deliciously fresh caprese salad for lunch and aspagus ravioli in browned sage butter. The waitress reminded me its Swiss butter. So I am eating well here in Zurich

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9575697

Tammy, that sounds wonderful! Is this just a vacation or is there a reason for your trip?

We had French cheeses, pÔtÚ de campagne, and fruit for lunch with a baguette. It's a good light meal on a hot day.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9575725

I am on vacation. My dad was supposed to join me but had a problem with his foot. Sun I meet up with the group for the botanizing tour. 7 of us from my rock garden society chapter and 8 from UK plus the Swiss botanist as guide

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9575807

Tam, most butter in Europe has a higher butterfat content (and less added water) than US butter, plus very often it's from pastured cows. Good stuff!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9575822

The butter I made a week or so ago from frozen heavy cream has virtually NO milk solids in it. I melted some in a frying pan this morning, and there was no residue at all. It tastes wonderful too, and less salty than store butter. Whipping cream is really pricey so I'm not tempted to do this on a regular basis. I do have three small packets of herb butter that I made at the same time and froze. I'm hoarding it.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9575847

A friend brought us strawberry shortcake and raw cream for the whipped cream. In less than 30 sec it was like butter. I have never seen anything like it! This back in NE Pa. All dairy is not alike!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9575848

I pay $3.19 for a quart of heavy cream from a nearby dairy. I've forgotten how much butter it makes (quite a bit), but a slightly lesser amount if I don't culture it.

I know cultured and salted butter keeps longer. I have on hand 9 pounds of frozen organic New Zealand butter from pastured cows so it will be a while before I make butter again.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9575849

Tam, this local cream is like that... makes butter in no time flat...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 27, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9576177

We have a creamery close and can buy raw milk and cream . Gotta try them and soon . Nothing like fresh , hot bread right out of the oven and just churned , warm butter . OMG !
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 27, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9576179

Celene , I like lots of ham cooked in my collards . Cornbread makes a meal . Cracklins added if you wish .Here comes another 5 lbs .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9576718

Sally, I've been envious of the availability of raw milk and cream in NC (said to be for pets only) but I didn't know it was legal in GA. How cool!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 28, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9576797

The first veterinary clinic that employed me saw dairy cattle, so it gives me a lot of prime access to milk and cream. Won't do raw, though.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9576879

I grew up on raw milk from the 1950's to the early 70's when I was a child and young adult as my parents milked 25 cows. We always had fresh milk and homemade butter. Nothing better... :)

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 28, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9576929

They may treat it with something , Darius . When I get down there , I'll find out more . The P A I see told me about it . Her family has dairy cows .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9576955

I actually don't really like the flavor of raw butter or cream. Drank raw milk for a view years than decided I was getting too much animal proteins. Now I just have my kefir smoothie and meat in small amounts a few times a week

Today I had an apple and a few handfuls of almonds for lunch and a cappuccino at an outdoor cafe later in the afternoon. I am enjoying this solo part of the trip more than I expected.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9577096

Tammy, traveling alone can be wonderful, nobody else's schedule, do what you like and go where you please. I'm so glad you didn't pass on the trip. I went to the UK in '76, as my DS and her DH were llving there at the time, and it was great. Spent a month, went to France and Italy via UK tours..best vacation ever!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9577098

Tam, as to the flavor of raw milk or cream... I suspect it's likely a matter of terroir.

My sister has eaten fast foods (and industrial foods from the grocery store) with their chemically engineered flavors for so many years that she now finds real food rather bland, even with condiments.

I've made mayo off and on for years but it doesn't keep long. I'm just beginning to learn to make my own condiments, mainly those that can be lacto-fermented so they keep longer. I just came across a recipe for lacto-fermented mayo, along with a ketchup recipe on the same site. Mustard is a no-brainer even with the wide variety of mustards one can make. Salad dressings may be more of a challenge, but I'm pretty content with EVOO and my homemade herb vinegars.

The chive blossom vinegar I made last month is wonderful, and the currently-steeping Provenšal vinegar already makes me salivate just smelling it. It needs to steep another month. Making Raspberry vinegar will be next, assuming I get some raspberries from my canes this year... that bed is in great need of some TLC. A splash of raspberry vinegar on sautÚed veggies is outstanding.

I haven't tasted the half gallon of champagne vinegar I just got from Katz in California but the smell is wonderful. It should make great vinegars, or even alone with EVOO on a salad.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9577121

I'm hoping Costco has champagne vinegar so I can try the chive blossom. We let them come up all over at will because the blossoms are pretty and the leaves make a nice textural difference in the flower beds. I can probably find it elsewhere but that would be convenient.

Grew up on raw milk and home churned butter. Milk still taste odd to me, and I didn't like it at all as a child. I used to hold my nose and drink it all down at once. Drove my parents nuts.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9577157

Sheila, you can always put the chive blossoms in the cheap distilled white vinegar. It's better than nothing. I considered using my Bragg's ACV when I ran out of champagne vinegar, but was afraid the ACV would overwhelm the chive blossom flavor.

I jam-pack a quart mason jar full of blossoms and then fill with vinegar. That gives me about a pint when I strain the blossoms out after maybe 2 weeks or so. Be sure to cut off as much of the green stems as possible.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9577180

My grand dad was a dairy farmer but I didn't like the taste of his (raw) milk so they bought me store bought. Sure wish I could go back in time and tell them how wonderful they were to me as a child.

Had a yellow curry with prawns and stir fry veggies oh so good

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9577190

Yum, that give me a thought for the shrimp I've got in the freezer, already cooked.

Thanks Darius, I'll do that if I can't find the champagne vinegar

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9577680

We had homemade pizza tonight, with garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, olives and mozzarella cheese. Very tasty! A roughly eleven-inch pizza is going to make two dinners for us; we were both stuffed after polishing off half of it. Then we had mixed fresh fruit for dessert.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9577711

Do you also make the crust?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9578426

Yes, it was a very simple recipe. We didn't even let it rise except briefly.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9578467

I think I'd like homemade pizza if I could also make the crust.

I used to bake bread, and an occasional raft of biscotti and scones, but since I quit using the kitchen in my sister's part of the house in a fit of pique 2 years ago, I haven't baked anything that I cannot fit in my small tabletop oven. It does well with a potato or two, or a small clafouti.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9578474

This is just a tbsp of yeast, a pinch of sugar, a half cup of lukewarm water, maybe a teaspoon of salt, 1 1/2 cups of flour, and two tbsps of oil. Let the yeast and sugar begin to activate for a couple of minutes in warm water and then add the rest of the ingredients and knead briefly until fairly smooth and elastic. Then shape into a couple of small pizzas (ours were 11" in diameter.) It was very easy! We let them sit for a few minutes, prebaked them briefly for about five minutes, and then put the toppings on and baked them again for about ten or fifteen minutes in a 400 degree oven.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9578480

Sounds easy enough...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9578550

It was, very. We have a friend's daughter staying with us because she's doing an internship nearby, and she was the impetus for the pizza.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9578800

I had rosti for dinner. It had dried meats pineapple and some sort of cheese. Was smokey flavored maybe the meats? Very good

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9578804

I don't know rosti... can you describe it more?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2013
12:34 AM

Post #9579599

It's a traditional Swiss dish with grated potatoes fried crispy outside and tender in. Ours had those extra ingredients and was just delicious. Google it for more info

We are off to the Dolomites next. Hiking with a botanist and fellow plant nerds by day and enoying the comfort of a small hotel by night

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9579678

That sounds like a great combination, Tammy. Nice to have comfort at night after a strenuous day! My DH took a couple of courses on plants of the Pine Barrens, which included a lot of field trips, and really enjoyed it. The nice thing about plants is that they stay still, unlike birds and butterflies!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013

Post #9579872

Laurel, Laurel... where art thou? Happy Birthday!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9579874

I've been wondering what happened to her!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9579982

ack- wayyy out of practice with having people over for dinner. 8 adult size eaters. But I think baking a spiral ham is foolproof. with traditional macaroni salad, and crispy coleslaw ( peppers, onions, oil and vinegar dressing) ..is a good start. I can do the salads the night before. or the morning. I just don't like too much assembly while guests are here. Thanks for letting me think out loud. any suggestions?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9580015

Sally,
Is this a 4th of July party? I'm very out of practice for hosting dinner parties myself, but your menu sounds easy-peasy. Eating inside, or on a patio/deck? What do you plan for a cold/cool dessert, and beverages?

My mother had some tall thin (and cheap) flutes. She's make some kind of red jello, poured into a pan so it was about an inch or less thick to jell, and cut it into cubes. She'd layer the cubes in the glasses with lemon meringue filling interspersed, and stick them in the fridge. Served with a dollop of whipped cream atop the parfait. Pretty, and cheap to make. Of course, cold watermelon is much easier!

I have to chide you a bit... but please don't be offended because it's become common usage everywhere these days. WHY do folks say they are having people over "for dinner" unless they are cannibals and plan to eat their friends as the dinner? My favorite aunt harped to me when I was much younger on that usage until I finally I learned to say I was having friends over "to dinner" and not "for dinner" LOL.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9580066

Darius, but wouldn't you say "over for a movie" or "over for bridge"? I agree that we don't want to "have our friends for dinner," but the addition of the word "over" seems to reduce the intimations of cannibalism!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9580084

Over to watch a movie? Over to play bridge?

It's as bad as all the shorthand used in texting, LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 30, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9580091

Laurel may be with her daughter and maybe new grandchild by now .If that baby isn't here yet , it's long overdue .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9580109

One of the guests (couple ) is bringing wine and a dessert- how nice eh?

Ok over TO dinner To TO to to to
chuckle--at your tongue in cheek LOL !

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9581460

If Hannibal Lector was having a dinner party, "over FOR dinner" would be the completely correct construction...

er, DE-construction?

LOLOL!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9581463

haha

maybe THomas Harris' (author) mom hated that common misuse as well.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9581471

I wonder whatever happened to his mom...?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9581483

OH MY G... I just pictured he had her over ...

FOR DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9581571

With a side of fava beans and a nice chianti...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9581675

Key-ANN-tee,

tee hee hee!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013

Post #9581677

We diges...er, digress...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 1, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9581930

How 'bout "to dine" ? "partake " ? We have bastardized the english grammer to the point of funneeee .

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9582039

Never had rosti but remember reading as a child about raclette http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/raclette-recipe/index.html in the book Heidi. I thought it sounded delicious, but I couldn't convince my parents to make it. I was a miniature foodie.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9582075

We sometimes have raclette - we actually have a raclette, which is a special cooker for same. And speaking of fava beans I picked the last of them yesterday and I cooked them up with garlic, onions, olive oil and a few sprigs of fresh thyme and served them over pasta. Very good!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9582369

Excellent, we should have green beans in a week or ten days. Slow cold wet spring has slowed things down here. I couldn't find the Italian flat beans this year either. No matter, all the beds are full regardless, yesterday I pulled out all the radishes, some had split because of the heavy rains, but that left a big blank space in one bed. So I hit the garden center and picked up some tomatillos and Amish paste tomatos,and a couple of overgrown fennel. They looked happy to be out of their confining plastic pots.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 2, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9583006

This isn't breakfast, but I got a half bushel of oldish, soft peaches from my farm market buddy for free. I made peach jam and 13 small jars of habanero peach mustard. I froze two containers of the firmer peaches for cobbler or whathaveyou. DH is working late, so I'll probably have cheese, crackers and some fruit for dinner.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9583086

Recipe for habanero peach mustard, please?

This will be my first year to try making mustards, probably starting with Laurel's Guinness mustard (at least I think it was her recipe). I can't open any of my gazillion recipes because they are all in MS Word format and my version of Office:Mac won't work with my newer OS. I wish someone would lend me a bootleg copy to use on my Mac until I have the $$ to buy a new version. I hate not being able to open any of my recipes, some collected over many years.

The California Katz champagne vinegar (Orleans Method) came and it smells and tastes lovely! However, it's too pricey to use to make herbal or fruit vinegars as gifts ($20/qt w/shipping) so I'm ordering a carton of 4 gallons of Regina champagne vinegar from a food service company. It's what I've used for years, and 4 gallons lasts a long time.

Today I'm starting some pomegranate vinegar, but that's about all that I can start for now, as I need lots of my canning jars for the peaches I'll get in SC next week. So far I've started raspberry, blackberry, Nanking cherry, chive blossom, ruby basil, and Provenšal vinegars. I hope to do more herb vinegars as my herbs grow this year.

Now I just need some pretty clear glass bottles.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 2, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9583127

I don't use a recipe, I'm one of "those" people. I cook some peaches until they're soft, add a handful of stemmed habaneros and just heat them up. Drain but reserve juice. Separately, I add about 3x the volume of peaches (or whatever) in mustard seed, and jst barely cover with vinegar. Dump this into the peaches and habaneros, and let it sit overnight. In the AM, I puree with a blender. I add peach juice or vinegar as needed for a thin texture, and correct seasoning with salt. I pour into jars and process.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9583211

Thanks.
Yellow mustard seed, or black/brown?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 2, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9583287

All black would be very hot. I use mostly yellow, with maybe 1/8 of the mix black for color and texture.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9583311

Thanks. I haven't tried the black mustard seeds although I did buy a small quantity to mix with the yellow when I get my round tuit.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9583359

Tonight's dinner is pretty simple - burgers and corn on the cob. But I have dog-eared a recent Southern Living magazine's recipe for tomato pies and a bacon-tomato pie is on my menu for this week. Fingers crossed that the husband likes it, because he and I are the only two in our family that will eat tomatoes. (Our children were not adopted, but sometimes we wonder...)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9583371

Kathy (Misty Meadows) posted a really good recipe for tomato pie here in the recipe forum a few years back. She sold it like hotcakes at their farmer's market.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9583472

Darius, aren't there open-source word processing applications that can open up Word files on Macs? Check around and see.

Our vegan houseguest is cooking dinner tonight - risotto and mushrooms, with greens and garlic bread and caramel ice cream.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9583498

Probably so, Leslie. Even Text-Edit can open Word files but I haven't seen anything to open Excel files (yet). All my monthly money data (bills to pay, SS income, and debit purchases) is in Excel.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9583938

There are suites that do everything that Microsoft's apps do, probably including Excel. What a pain to lose all of your data!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 3, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9584551

Will Open Office help? http://www.openoffice.org

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9584564

Someone else recommended OpenOffice. I just downloaded it but it won't open... says the file format is not recognized.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9584583

Glorioski! I downloaded it again, and this time got it installed. Thanks.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9584718

Oh, good! I think that's the freeware I had in mind but I couldn't remember the name.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9584801

Hello

Tonight I selected beef goulash with spaetzle and red cabbage (here in northern Italy). I am so curious to see how it is. We had a wine tasting last night. All local grapes plus a cheese tasting with the reds. Was very good!

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9584871

Fun to hear about your adventures, Tammy. Let us know how the beef goulash was!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9585089

The goulash was very tender beef in some sort of sauce. Maybe like sauerbraten?

Was good and nothing like what I call goulash, which is what mom called it. Dessert was the high point. It was "hot love". Hot raspberries with vanilla ice cream.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9585098

I thought goulash and spńtzle were Hungarian dishes, not your typical northern Italian dishes. I like spńtzle but haven't had it in a long time. The goulash I've had has been indifferent so I can't say I'm a fan.

Like most foods, I guess it has to be prepared right...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9585165

What's for dinner, and software help, LOL

Kinda thinking Italians don't make any bad wine- or if they do thats what they unload on us.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9585192

When I was in Italy we stayed in a small hotel and had the best food ever! My room must have been just over the kitchen so I could hear the loud discussions early in the morning. Also had the best champagne I ever tasted on a bus tour in Rome! The only thing I didn't care for was the lunch they packed for us (We took a bus tour every day courtesy of the Cosmo Travel Agency who booked our entire trip) They made sandswiches for us and the lunch meat all looked like head cheese. What fun, Tammy, I'm so glad you went.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 4, 2013
12:50 AM

Post #9585859

Fourth of July menu: Whatever we eat at a restaurant. I've had a rough week at work, I'm tired and I'm not cooking!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9586097

I bought a bag of real wood charcoal in anticipation of using the grille today, but it's not likely with all the rain. I intended to buy some shrimp to grill but around here no one carries really big shrimp like 10-15 per pound.

I seldom use the grille to cook something for just me, as it takes a goodly amount of real charcoal for enough coals. I won't use briquettes or starter fluid because of all the chemicals; a charcoal chimney works fine to get the coals going.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9586108

We are not particularly skilled at grilling. I had a pork shoulder in the freezer so that was in the slow cooker all night. Corn on the cob. Due to braces and a jaw surgery, this is the first summer in about ten years that all my kids can eat corn on the cob.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013

Post #9586126

Sally, I am not skilled at all; that's part of why I don't do it much. My oldest brother is an excellent griller, even does oysters on it.

I use the grill mostly in the fall to generate fruitwood cold smoke (through a long metal tube to a cardboard box) for homemade sausage, ham hocks, cheese, and whatever else suits my fancy at the moment.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9586167

your own cold smoke- pretty cool (ha, sorry!)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9586394

One of our group brought American flags for the table today. I am in South Tirolia which was part of Austrai so there is a. Huge influence there on the menu. Tonight it's porcini pasta for the pasta course and wienersnitzel for the main (forgive my spelling)

We are at a wonderful little family owned hotel selected for the dining as mug as anything.

Definitely earned a good dinner! We hiked high in the mountains to see etritchium nana, which is endemic to the area and a spectacular little bun with blue flowers in peak bloom now.

Happy 4th everyone!
Tam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9586401

what a memorable trip you're having!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2013

Post #9586481

Boston Baked Beans in the crock pot, macaroni salad, and potato salad from DD#1, DD#2 bringing buns, DGS bringing pulled pork, and I have about 30 drum sticks thawed to oven fry. Making BBQ sauce for those who want to dunk them DIL is bringing ice cream and cones. ExDGDIL is bringing unknown munchies. We never run short of food.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9586498

Yum to the yum!

Pulled pork, mac salad made. both darn good if I may say so.

Darius, I agree, even for a family, grilling just seems like such a huge amount of heat expense for some burgers. My irrational perception anyway.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9586577

I didn't pay almost a grand for a high end range to stand outside in the heat and the wind to cook. Nope.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9586828

Perfidious, I should have made a pot of baked beans!

Tam, your trip sounds more delicious every day!

I shopped at 2 of my fav stores way up the highway today. Picked up some goodies for our trip to SC next week: Italian Castelvetrano olives (one of my two favorite olives), a hunk of Humbolt Fog cheese, and a delightful cracker I've recently discovered. It's labeled as a "torta" from Spain, hand-made with just EVOO, wheat flour and salt. I got a package of the sweet (NOT the cinnamon) and a pack of savory (rosemary and thyme). Both are good with cheese and Susan and I will pick up some cheese at Whole Foods in Winston-Salem when we meet up on Monday afternoon.
http://www.inesrosalesusa.com/Pages/default.aspx

At the other store (World Market) I just got some very fresh ginger, green plantains, and Guava paste. Guava paste is difficult to find around here, apparently it's not a Mexican food item. I wanted more fresh veggie stuff but since I'll be away for a few days, half would just go to waste.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 2:31 PM

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9586875

What fun to be able to stock up on good items, Darius!

We are having the usual hot dogs and hamburgers with baked beans and salad, but then my DS decided to bring ready-to-eat shrimp and crab claws, as well as six softshell crabs that need cooking. I told him if he wanted to bring them he was in charge of their preparation; I have enough to do! Not that I don't like softshells, but it makes it hectic in the kitchen when I have to juggle too many plates in the air at once!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 4, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9586985

Darius, I can find guava paste at PR stores or Asian stores here. I am deep in a homemade cracker/crispy flatbread phase.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9586995

Recently addicted to pita chips here.
Wow, our dinner was delicious. Next stop blueberry pie, our own berries, first year I have enough to make SEVERAL ,pies if I chose to. Good thing because poor sweet DD (19 yr old) dropped the first one as she got it out of the oven...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9587114

Aww, Sally... what a loss!

My blueberries are meager this year but I will have some in a few weeks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9587507

I guess my better attention to the blueberries for the last couple years, and this springs ample rain, have given me surprisingly better results, But I can't explain why the birds haven't wiped them out like they usually do.

Do you, and or how do you, use bacon grease or chicken fat for cooking ? I can save both but then don't really know when using them would work, and not taste oddly bacony or chicken y.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9587552

I use bacon fat when I have it to sautÚ things like green beans or spinach/kale/chard type things. It's also great with scrambled or fried eggs.

I do save chicken fat although I don't think I have any right now. My favorite is duck fat, though. It's wonderful for potatoes.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9587563

Thanks, bacon fat does make awesome fried potatoes.
Do you just refrigerate the bacon fat in a container? Does it stay 'good' forever?

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9587567

Also great for making fried potatos or hash browns, with some diced onion added.

Oops someone already said that while I was typing.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 9:50 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9587572

great minds etc ...meezers!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9587612

Sally, the birds haven't wiped out my Nanking cherries like they usually do, either. As a rule the cherries are almost ready one day and then stripped clean the next day, before I can pick any. It makes me nervous this year about the bird population.

I save bacon fat (from bacon I cure myself) and use it for almost anything except pastry. For that, I use lard I have rendered that's not flavored like the bacon is. I'd like to save chicken fat (schmaltz, which is either chicken or goose fat) but the chickens I get from a local organic farmer are young and have very little fat.

I'm throwing all my loose change in a big jar, hoping to have enough to buy a gallon of duck fat by Christmas. Or maybe goose fat.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9587700

The owner of the hotel put out "American" items in honor of the holiday. We found buffalo wings and meatballs with the antipasti a d watermelon and something like brownies with the dessert. They were all quite pleased with themselves, which made it all better than in really was

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9587872

Sallyg, I usually don't bother to refrigerate bacon fat. It gets used up pretty quickly. If it hangs around for several days I do put it in the fridge, though.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 6, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9588696

Well, today is the day.

Doing a crawfish boil, but using Maine lobsters instead of crawfish. Expecting about 40 guests at Son's place. But we will have enough to feed more.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9588713

Bubba, sounds like a swell party menu. (but you didn't invite me!!)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 6, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9588715

I am making pizza with whole wheat crust with herbs, topped with sliced fresh tomato, goat cheese and basil. Probably a green salad, too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9588981

Between you and Leslie, I may need to learn to make pizza. I have the goat cheese, salads and herbs mostly down pat.

Man, what I'd give for a good fresh tomato!

Ours locally won't be ready for another month, and mine this year may never be ready. I'm hoping to find some good heirloom tomatoes on the trip to SC next week since their season is earlier than here.

Where's our traveler?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9589111

You mean me? I am digesting my last dinner in Italy. Stuffed corgettes and tiramisu for dessert

Tomorrow we drive back to Zurich but will stop at this fabulous roadside place that we used on our way here. Best panacotte ever! Beats the Howard Johnson stops of my youth!

I fly home Mon. Sigh

Tam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9589143

Wonderful memories that will last for a lifetime.

We are making Shirley Corriher's Improved Tunnel of Fudge Cake. The batter I licked from the bowl is the most delicious awesome fabulous thing I have ever eaten.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9589160

Tam, I agree... building memories that last a long time!

The only things I remember from our Howard Johnson stops when traveling as a kid are fried clams and pistachio ice cream. I doubt I'd like either today. Even the fried clams I had along the seashore in Maine a few years back were like rubber bands.

Sally was this the recipe you used? Sounds tasty...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/science/28rbake1.html?_r=0

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 7, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9590621

What is the texture of the fudge inside? I like moist, rich cake, but dislike goopy wet dough texture.

I am cooking corned beef for dinner tomorrow and I loathe plain boiled potatoes. Will a gallette with parsley and green onions go okay with corned beef? I am going to do a raw cabbage slaw instead of boiled cabbage, too. Totally untraditional.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9590634

The Galette sounds great, as does cabbage slaw. Who says we have to be totally traditional (generally).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9590720

Yes Darius that is the recipe- the only adaptation I see being that it calls for 5/8 of tsp salt instead of mine 1/4 tsp. Who ever heard of using 5/8 tsp of anything? I got it out of her Bakewise book.

We may have overbaked it. THe inside was very moist but short of the melted center Shirley described. Still quite yummy. And it refused to release from the pan. So its kind of chunky too.
8 ^P

Celene you might love the chocolate cake made with box of devils food, box of choc pudding mix, some sour cream maybe... my sister and I made one circa 1975 and its very yummy. Your menu sounds like a great improvement on boiled potatos and cabbage.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 7, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9590824

I have a really easy chocolate cake recipe that I like, it's from the King Arthur website, I was curious about this cake texture, I've seen the recipe. The KA recipe is my husband's favorite birthday cake, frosted with seven minute frosting.

I'm baking through recipes in Scientifically Sweet right now. Some of them are great.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9591162

I'm off for 2-3 days to get fresh peaches in SC, and hopefully some good heirloom tomatoes. Eat well while I'm gone!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9591200

Safe trip!

I ran out of Penzey's sweet curry powder, and bought red curry paste at the store . Turns out they don't substitute- the paste is Thai, but everybody liked it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 8, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9591284

Dog ate the gallette, stole it right off the counter top. The second one looked nicer, anyhow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9591295

Too funny!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9591527

Oh no! Bad dog!

Once we were visiting friends and brought along our labradoodle, who was still a pup at the time. We were standing by their kitchen counter talking and all of a sudden we noticed that right under our noses she had somehow gotten the entire piece of smoked salmon, which had been out on a plate on the counter with some crackers and cheese, onto the floor and was starting to eat it! We picked it up, brushed it off, and finished it ourselves. She wasn't very welcome there after that!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9591776

We are home after being away most of the past two months. Of course the master bath toilet leaked all over the floor with the first flush so that set the schedule for the day. I discovered much of the Reidel crystal barware, olive wood spreaders and hand painted dishes in the dishwasher. I left a note not to touch my knives and set out a few substitutes but forgot about the rest of the kitchen. Better instructions on my part next time since I don't share my kitchen well at all.

We came north to south this trip and stopped to check in at Maypop, then on to the city. I picked beans and herbs for dinner tonight. We ran around re-stocking the house today. Will be making pan fried talapia crusted with panko and parmesan, grilled asparagus and an antipasti salad.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Darius.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9591924

Welcome back, Laurel. I know it's not much consolation, but at least the toilet didn't leak the whole time you were gone, right?

If I can squeeze in a quick store run, tonight is grilled shrimp and salmon, with a side of zucchini-corn pancakes and fresh melon. Then I need to get busy grating and baking the rest of the zucchini that ballooned up with last week's rain. Eek. I have multiple bread and cake recipes ready to try and a couple family members who can take them to work and share the love and calories.

I think I'm also going to experiment with zucchini parmesan this week. Just like eggplant parm, but with zucchini slices instead. Fingers crossed.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9591955

I'm home too! I need to make it out to the garden but am running out of steam
fast.

Tam
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9592176

Welcome home, Laurel and Tammy.
Tonight is sliced pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy (crockpot time), and this morning's picking of green beans. Planted a new variety "Jade" they seem to be prolific and a long, narrow bean. Will know more later, first planting was a big failure (rabbits??) so we are just starting to get a decent picking. Don't know about the rest of the garden, such a funny hot/cold planting season, lots of basil, but tomatoes are setting on slowly, but not looking like we'll be doing much canning, okra plants are finally coming on strong since summer temps have arrived in Kansas, a couple of eggplant starting to look promising, replant of beets showing up, all in all a strange year.Even our Farmer's Market has been puny, so I know it is not just us.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9592916

I am crushed...a lobster boil???!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 9, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9593249

Got this blasted laptop up and running AGAIN . Getting tired of it not connecting to the net and not having time to get hold of tech help to straighten it out
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9593281

Thanks for the welcome home. Good point about the toilet not leaking the entire absence, Terry. It was enough that we returned from the Miami trip and were out of power for four days then the next thing we know we were off to D.C..

We have a new family member. He joined us June 27th, three days before my birthday. We were there for the whole journey and I was able to care for her as she labored mostly at home. We are smitten and missing them. They are planning to join us in about a week for an extended maternity/paternity stay. Talking about relocating here next year. From my keyboard taps to heaven.

Sallyg, I have become very familiar with Naval Bagels in your 'hood.

Eden's, our garden is on a wonky schedule too. We were picking cherry tomatoes the third week in June last year. Not even turners yet. BTW, the name was supposed to be Eden if DB (would that be right for dear baby?) had been a girl. Hope this boy loves veggie gardening and cooking. :)

We are having a garden veggie dinner. Salad with thinned beet greens and parsley topped with eggs, pickled beets and feta. SO is grilling corn topped Solo cup freezer pesto to which I'll add a knob of butter, zucchini fritters with remoulade and more grilled asparagus.

Maybe it's your router, Sally, and not the computer? They can be pretty short lived especially if you leave them on. I'm no computer expert but it seems the guy in charge of tech here is replacing routers all the time. He always leaves them on. Guess he needs (just one more reason) to have a fit. Keeps him seemingly mellow when allowed out in public.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 9, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9593295

Yes, GG, there was a lobster boil. 42 live Maine lobsters were delivered Saturday morning.

Started the boil about 8PM, but it took over an hour to heat 80+ gallons to a boil - cooked them all - so feasting began about 10:30. We had lots of veggies in the pot, too - potatoes, corn, mushrooms, artichokes, radishes, carrots, and asparagus.

Many of the guests were already full - some of my fried catfish & fries - some smoked chicken - toothpick kabobs of pepperjack/salami/thin cut steak/sausage - and of course beverages - soft and adult. DGD had made her famous cookies, some guests supplied gumbo, beans & rice, spaghetti sauce, brownies, chips, fruit cups, etc.

Went back Sunday after 12:00 to assist with the cleanup - DS was cracking and cleaning the remaining lobster. Said the last group quit at 4AM.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9593334

Congratulations Laurel! Woo Hoo

Despite my hopes that the day long hikes would compensate for the delicious foods of Italy, I found that I have put on a few pounds. So I'm back to lean eating. Made up a pseudo stir-fry with mushrooms, onion, red pepper, garden squash & chicken with a little pesto from the freezer/last year served over a little barley. Was quite good.

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 9, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9593408

DH is having corned beef hash and a salad. I am having soup, the beginning of the end of my braces.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9593561

Tam, welcome back! And Laurel - I can only imagine your state of bliss. Congrats to the grands and very best wishes to the new parents.

Bubba...I would have happily devoured a few pounds of said lobster. Yum.

Well, I've decided that zucchini sliced, salted, breaded, sauteed , dressed with sauce and mozzarella can make a pretty decent substitute for eggplant.

Tomorrow is looking like a crockpot day: pulled beef on rolls with some type of salad on the side.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 10, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9593828

Made a lobster salad for lunch and a bisque for supper - so much for the 2# I brought home.

Used some of the sausage (previous night) in a spaghetti sauce.

Still have a package of skewered veggies to cook tonight - open to suggestions.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9593879

Have 5 lbs. of Maine lobster delivered to MY door, LOL!

Then, we can discuss possibilities for the veggies...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9594069

LOL GG.

We're gonna have omelets for dinner tonight I think. I have a big pot of chicken noodle soup in the works for my Dad. Its one of last year's roosters. The stock is cooked & ready to skim (off the fat) and the carcass is picked over and so its just the veggies & noodles and then assembly.

Heaven is a fully functional (and beautiful & new) kitchen!

Tam

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9594242

Yay, Tammy!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 10, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9594285

Tickled for you Tammy .
Wish someone would throw a feast like that my way ,Bubba .
Laurel , got a new router the last time before . It was out about 10 days that time . This last time ,(about two weeks later ) ,I just turned it on and it sat there with it's tongue stuck out at me .I have a security pkg. that I call them and they either fix it or send a tech out to do it . Best monthly fee I ever spent.
G G , I want to go out with Wanda's friend in the swamp and get an alligator for the freezer .And sight see . Missed her this last weekend .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9594288

Sally,
She told me about that guy!!! LOL, I don't think Wanda will get out of the truck!

Ya'll can have the alligator!

She told me she was heading your way. Don't know what happened to her. I'll call her on the way in this evening.

Linda
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 10, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9594310

She got tied up with needing new tires for the trip and couldn't get them that day .
OT , sorry

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9594566

Chicken enchilada stuffed into zucchini boats and refrained beans! Recipe on Skinnytaste.com

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9594617

I added summer squash to the veggie mix for our omelets and they turned out delicious!
The little bantum hens are laying now - such tiny eggs.

Tam
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 11, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9594987

Digger, When you said router, I thought you were getting into woodworking, too - LOL.

GG - all of the lobster is gone. But since we now know a great supplier we will be doing it again - just do not have a schedule yet. The packaging was great - each lobster was in its own cardboard cubby-hole, iced down and then the "blue-ice" packets on top. The intermediate container was a foam insulated box, inside a heavy duty cardboard box.

Shipping was almost as much as the lobster themselves.

Oven roasted the veggies with some TX olive oil, and made some cheddar stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeno halves to go with them. Opened a bottle of wine and had a great meal.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 11, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9595166

Making grilled vegetables for quesadillas, and some pinto beans and chopped salad.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9595708

We had left overs but I was able to make a huge pot of chicken noodle soup with a ton of veggies, mushrooms and barley (gotta pack in a lot of nutrition) for my dad & step mother. Did I mention how much I am enjoying cooking again? lol

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 11, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9595738

Do you love your new kitchen?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9595787

Absolutely! I have not found a few items (can't figure out where that last box is!) & often open 3 drawers to find what I'm looking for but its wonderful!

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 12, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9596083

I went though that for a minute, lol. Now I love it!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9596108

I'd rather open a few extra drawers to find something than to unpile a ton of stuff to get the one item I'm looking for any day! I have a lot of drawers and I'm getting more used to where stuff is... but I really haven't had a lot of time in the new kitchen yet. And still have a box or two of stuff to unpack (mostly the pretties you set out for display or use 1-2x a year). I also need to buy a new dining room table as we decided to use the old one in a breakfast area (really more to play cards or games near the new beverage area.) I'm going to get it at a place that makes fabulous tables from old wood - they have planks 2-3' wide & 2" thick to make some beautiful farm tables. :-)

I'm going to have to work a few more years after all this spending!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9596333

So happy for you in your new kitchen at last, Tam, and the new table sounds like it will be amazing. SO built our Atlanta dining room table from old 2x dimensional planks. It's actually two sections on two bases with the planks going in opposite directions. There is even a knot hole going through one of the planks so you can see the floor. He was going to trim that board but the shape of the hole is so interesting and the bark is still in it so I voted for it to stay. My vote counts as two. :) A local iron artisan made a set of vase-shaped bases to go with the tops.

We had grilled wild sockeye on grilled tortas with a salad last night. I made a spicy remoulade to top our fish sandwiches. So good it is still on my mind.

I've had pollo en jocon (a chicken in tomatillo salsa stew) in the freezer. Thinking it would be easy and good thickened with home canned white beans as part of a tortilla filling for tonight. Now back to the soggy, humid garden.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9596682

Laurel - that table sounds fabulous! And my vote also counts two around here. Gotta love that!

We're going out for dinner tonight. Bringing my iPad full of way more photos than anyone could ever want to see. But I have patient friends who will chose to plow through them (or not).

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9596711

Aren't iPads wonderful for travel photos? I have all four trips to France on mine, plus the kids, our farm, my portraits...

How many photos do you have of your trip?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9596770

Tam. Kudos on a new finished kitchen!

I'm having Eggs Florentine for supper. Been bust canning, no energy to do much else.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9596909

I have almost 1000 pictures! Way more than anyone would want to see. :-)

I put 2.25gal of chicken noodle soup in the freezer this morning. Gonna make up a good number of meals for my dad & step mom and then make a drop in a few weeks.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9596924

That's a lot of pictures! I have almost 500 from our last trip, but I did cull some before loading them on my iPad.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 13, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9597271

Making 5 minute bread dough this morning. Probably will make flatbread for dinner, with pesto, fresh tomato and provolone.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9598859

Tam, I'll try to post pics of our table. We are still so upside down and the kids are coming next weekend. We've spent the week at Maypop. Would like to say a lot of garden work was accomplished but the rain has hardly let up more than a few hours. In retrospect rice, water chestnuts and cress might have been the best crops for this year. Even the water loving brassicas are drowning. The low light and excessive water is making for spindly tomatoes even though the garden is on a very well drained hillside.

We are doing a one dish veggie dinner tonight. There were beautiful Romano beans as well as zucchini and yellow squash in the garden this morning. Also have pesto and slow roasted tomatoes in the freezer from last year along with store bought onions and mushrooms. Will cast iron skillet roast the veggies individually in garlic and olive oil, boil linguine and toss the veggies and pesto with the linguine and then top with pecorino and toasted walnuts.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9598903

Oh that sounds like a great dinner Laurel! And don't worry about the pic - you have lots going on there. :-)

We're having beef & broccoli with a few leftover veggies from the pizza's yesterday. Its very good.

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 14, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9598982

I'm having a clean out the refrigerator, eating stuff that was on sale, kind of dinner. Tonight, this was spanakopita with a tossed salad.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9600198

Spanakopita sounds good!

I have summer squash galore! Made stuffed squash boats to go with the left overs we're eating. Now I only have 20lbs of squash left. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9600245

I've been lax about suppers since I came home sick after getting SC peaches (and plum tomatoes) last week. I do have all the plum tomatoes roasted with onions, garlic, herbs, and thrn canned, and have cut out the bad spots in a several of the peaches, skinned and sliced them and put in the fridge in some fresh lemon juice. I think I have enough for 2 cobblers, and now the remaining unprocessed peaches fit in the fridge.

2 of my brothers (and a teenage great nephew) will be here late tonight or tomorrow for a couple of days, so I'll make a peach cobbler.

Most of the remaining peaches will become peach chutneys, both sweet and savory. I hope to eat several peaches fresh!

My neighbor just gave me some beets from his garden. Tomorrow I will roast them in foil with EVOO and a touch of salt. Roasting them makes them SO sweet! If he gives me more, I'll pickle them and then make beet-juice pickled eggs.

SusanKC, do you still read these threads? I'd like to know where you bought the Verjus you spoke of using so much last year.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 15, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9600316

I never liked beets much until I had roasted beets. My family liked Harvard beets, which are too sweet and icky and the texture was too soft and mushy for me. Now I roast beets and serve them over romaine and spring greens (you need the romaine for structure), candied pecans, goat cheese and balsamic. I can embarrass myself eating so much of that salad.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9600355

Thanks. My roasted beets will be sliced for salads as well. YUM!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9600419

yum, Celene that sounds simply awesome.

My DS planned the dinner as I work 1-9 pm on Mondays. Delicious quiche! One broccoli-bacon-spinach, the other broccoli-onion -- mushroom-spinach. Which my husband actually made as DS instructed him over the phone, while on a loo oo oong (60 mi) bike ride.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9600486

Sally, sounds like good cooperation!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9600508

I love beets, pickled roasted or steamed. Didn't plant any this year though. We had grilled lamb chops, mushroom risotto, and our garden fresh green beans and sugar snaps with garlic and sesame oil.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9602783

I love spanokopita and Greek food altogether. We went to a diner in Maryland a few weeks ago that was supposed to be very authentic, aka where local ethnic Greeks eat, and it was a huge disappointment.

When I was a little girl my dad would make mashed potatoes in beet juice so they would be pink. Such a great dad but I've never liked that color. Recollections of my dad in the kitchen are becoming frequent. Though he specialized in the brought a sense of humor to the stove. Sally (Digger) brought a down home pickled beet salad to our RU. So good! I did a riff on her salad leftovers, adding our garden beets and Greek yogurt to my pickling mix. We have enjoyed the leftover beet juice pickle as a salad dressing.

There's a hunk of formerly frozen strata in an ancient toaster oven and I made our usual huge salad. Tonight's version has feta, grilled corn, hard boiled eggs, garden kohlrabi, parsley, cukes, carrots, pickled tomatoes from last summer and a variety of store bought greens.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9602834

Tonight was spaghetti w/meat sauce (using up previous years' tomatoes) fresh sweet corn and green beans. We've picked a few tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, onions and green beans and the okra is getting there. It's not going to be a banner year but we will enjoy whatever fresh veggies the garden offers. Made Pennzers "Boursin Cheese" with mostly fresh herbs from the garden today. Very good recipe. Laurel, glad to see you back and posting, we missed your input.
Tammy, still waiting for kitchen photos, it has to be an enjoyable time for you, sounds like your trip was wonderful.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9602853

I made a zucchini pie for dinner - onions from the garden too.

Here's a few shots of the kitchen. Its definitely a wonderful place to work!

Thumbnail by Tammy   Thumbnail by Tammy   Thumbnail by Tammy   Thumbnail by Tammy   Thumbnail by Tammy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9602886

wow fabulous!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9602899

That looks wonderful Tammy. Enjoy. From this end it didn't seem to take too long...but I'm sure you are glad it's over and you can enjoy it Will this bring on a cooking marathon??.

It hit 92* here but it cooled down a little here when the sun hit the horizon so I picked and filled a 14" basket with green beans and topped it off with a good amount of sugar snaps. I put them in the frig and will snap them and freeze them tomorrow. Dh is pitting another gallon of cherries, and I just took the ones I froze on a cookie sheet yesterday and put four cups in vac bags for pies. Or?? When he's done, I'll freeze the ones he's working on and bag them tomorrow. I will have do some rearranging in the freezers for all this excess. We've used up almost all of last years tomatos. Or else I'd be making soup.

Clipped off my garlic scapes and popped them in a baggie, may make some pesto tomorrow, with pine nuts and basil.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2013

Post #9602906

Tammy, your kitchen is gorgeous and you have tons of counter space for prep. I love your farmhouse sink, too. Enjoy it and cook lots of wonderful meals in it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9602909

Looks fantastic, Tam!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9603325

Thanks for sharing Tammy, it looks great. What a lot of counter space, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9603426

There weren't enough walls to put up more upper cabinets or
I wouldn't have had so many lower ones. The kitchen is built
in the middle of a very open space. Dining room on one side
and living room on the other. I couldn't find a better place for it
after many many many hours of exploration with an architecture
CAD program and consultation with two kitchen design places.

I have appliances on much of the wall space I do have. And yes - I
have to admit I am loving all that counter space. The design was
just amazingly complex and required that we rework a lot of the
first floor but I think we got it right. I just hope I live long & healthy
enough for all this to pay off!

Can't wait to have a big dinner party - its just perfect for entertaining.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9603460

TOTALLY WONDERFUL! CONGRATULATIONS, TAM!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9603555

Happy Birthday, Bubba!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013

Post #9603661

Tam, paying off the kitchen reno will be a motivator for many healthy meals. Mazel tov!

Happy birthday, Bubba. How are you going to top that lobsterfest?

Thanks for the welcome, Edens. Your garden sounds way ahead of ours. Do you start tomatoes, peppers and eggplants from seed or buy plants?

Tonight's dinner plan is grilled spicy burgers topped with Cabot cheddar on slims. That's if the weather cooperates. When it hasn't rained all day it has rained all afternoon/evening. I'll make a cast iron saute mix of brussels sprouts, Romano beans, yellow squash, zucchini and onions. Some will be a side dish with the burgers and the rest will become fodder for a weekend pasta salad.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9603693

Hi,

I have been invited here by Darius. Hope you will let me stay awhile.

My name is Nancy and I am a retired executive chef. The operative work here is retired, for I no longer cook the way I used to and dH and I are trying to lose some extra baggage. I am 72 years young and have 3 children.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hap

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9603709

Hi, Hap. Welcome to our thread! So have you hung up your pots and pans and gone for easy dinners, or are you still playing foodie for the two of you?

We went out for dinner last night and had Lamb Parnassos with artichokes and avgolemono sauce. Tonight I might do something easy with some salmon I bought last week, forgetting that we still had smoked shad to finish!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9603766

HAPPY B'DAY, BUBBA!

Bubba?

He's probably gone off to Maine, to accompany some lobsters home for the b'day party tonight, LOL!

Many happy returns of the day, my friend!

P.S. You share the b'day with my niece's 1-yr-old twins!

(picture courtesy of http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-asylum/happy-birthday-bubba-t83555-15.html)

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 18, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9603768

Hi , Hap . I'm not a cooker , but an eater . I'd like to eat at everyone's table on here .If they let me lurk , then you'll be a welcome addition .
On the pickled beets , Laurel , I save the juice to sip on , or dye onions for salads .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 18, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9603772

Happy , happy , Bubba .

Never had lobster . Is it like steamed shrimp ?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9603785

Lobster is much better than steamed shrimp. It has an almost nutty, buttery flavor. We just had lobster rolls for lunch yesterday!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 18, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9603790

Thanks y'all.

Son has scheduled a BD dinner this evening.

Thanks to yesterdays rain, completed mowing the yard today.

BTW, GG: The volunteer cherry tomato is producing WONDERFUL fruit - just not enough - lol.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 1:50 PM

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9603821

East coast is the only area I know where you can walk in Mickey D's and get a lobster roll!!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 2:19 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9603830

Must be a different East Coast than I know, Sheila!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9603834

Lobster Roll at McD's???? SHUT UP!

Bubba,
Call me when it starts growing lobsters!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9603912

I know, I was shocked...but they are good and not too much pricier than a big Mac and fries. I made a pig of myself.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9603922

Leslie, what are Parnassos?

I'm making this tomorrow, IF I can get some shrimp. It's an Anson Mills recipe for quick pickled shrimp. Usually an appetizer, but it's so hot outside that it may be all I want to eat.
http://ansonmills.com/recipes/494

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 4:36 PM

Thumbnail by darius

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9603950

Darius, I think that's just a style of cooking them, like Florentine or Provenšal.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9603971

Love pickled shrimp (though I say that for almost every food mentioned here). Twelve pounds of shrimp plus veggies went in to the down home pickled shrimp served for daughter's wedding weekend last July. Mine has whole pepper corns and hot peppers for heat and sliced red pepper for sweet. Lots of paper thin lemon slices, onions and whole garlic cloves that will pickle and can be eaten later. We had cucumbers coming in like crazy at that time so I added those in too. No curry or celery seed. Perfect with a rustic, crusty garlic loaf and cheese.

The weather is holding. We should be able to grill.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9603978

I have frozen lamb chops I need to thaw and cook (thanks to Leslie's notation of eating lamb chops, which I forgot I had), plus I have mussels and a rabbit frozen.

I took a big basket of food to my neighbor down the street this morning. I dropped a bundle on healthy foods (fresh fruits, lots of salad stuff, fresh salsa, and 3# chicken salad) for the visit of my brothers, and they didn't eat a thing other than drink lots of the bottled water. Way too much still in the fridge for just me so I shared it. (My great nephew who is now 14 did put a small dent in the strawberries, sweet cherries and grapes).

Instead, my brothers dropped $70 just for one night's dinner at KFC, 3-4 chicken buckets with many extra sides and a bag full of fried dough with a sugar topping. No wonder they are both very overweight. I opted out of Pizza Hut with them last night, and they left this morning for coastal NC.

I see someone started another thread on dinner menus because we chat too much. In my mind, dinner needs shared conversation, not just recipes.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9603999

How awful to have such neat plans for meals and then to have your brothers go for fast food instead.

I didn't notice the other thread on dinner menus. I like the way we chat!

Oh, my Lamb Parnassos was chunks rather than chops, but either would be good. I often use lamb chops as a base for a meal with couscous or with other types of rice.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9604002

Anyone besides me noticing that the grey space on the right hand side is now sitting on TOP of some of the right margin text in the post box?

I've reported it already...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9604134

My "views" of watched threads has moved around the screen a LOT today. It looks different every time I log on.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9604151

Terry knows about it; there are several threads discussing it. I don't think the techs know what happened but they're working on it. I'm just riding it out.

Tonight we had shrimp in a butter/olive oil/garlic sauce over pasta with a salad. Not too exciting but very tasty. Oh, but for dessert we had homemade eggnog ice cream. We got DH a Secura ice cream maker for Father's Day; it has a compressor so you don't have to pre-chill anything - just plug the machine in about fifteen minutes before you plan to add the custard so it gets good and cold. And then the paddles and the cold do the rest. I got him David Lebovitz's book on ice cream to go with it, and we've tried two flavors so far - one twice, the second time with mostly vegan ingredients for our summer guest. She decided that she doesn't mind eating eggs from our chickens because they're free range and very happy hens.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9604155

Thought it was an eye test. I think I passed. Really, they will eventually figure it out. I love the new look and don't expect genius at work every step of the way. I can barely negotiate the site as it is. Doesn't take much outside the kitchen or garden or emergency room to baffle me.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9604196

I'm so loving every moment in my kitchen. Tonight I cooked up our bush beans in one pot and pole beans in another and we had a taste test. Both were 5 star according to my very picky DH. Last year I grew rattlesnake pole beans and he didn't like them. This year, Kentucky Blue Pole beans. Bush beans were Blue Jays - which we both liked for green beans & for dried beans/soup beans.

OK - so we have wild caught alaskan salmon w/dilled mayo and fresh green beans for dinner.

And for the record - I think the dinner conversation is just as important as (or more important than) the dinner menu. :-)

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 18, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9604255

I had chopped salad with cilantro lime dressing for dinner. For some reason, can't get enough of that lately. I also had fresh rambutan and lychee, the Asian store had them!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2013

Post #9604259

my cilantro has melted in this heat. I guess I need to replant my herbs - the basil is yellowing & flowering too. boo hoo.

I've never had rambutan nor lychee! So many things I need to try...

Tam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9604265

rambutan, are those the spiky things? Saw them at Wegmans and no label.

Steamed shrimp here, and quinoa salad with orange vinaigrette.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9604538

When my basil starts to flower I just snap the flower stalks off. But I do need to collect it for freezing.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9604560

Sally,

You made my heart jump for joy when you mentioned Wegmans, aka Meggy Weggies. I am from Rochester, NY and that was my favorite store. I see that they are creeping down the states and I hope that they get here before I croak.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9604582

Happy, it was my first visit . I can see why people love it. They have lots of special choices in every department.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9604607

I like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's better; all three are about an hour away from me though, alas!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9604659

I like my farm stands and farmers markets. :-) Seriously - Wegmans is pretty far from me and is always a mob scene. When they came to town, the other groceries in the area upgraded and now we have pretty good options for the staples. Wegmans still has a better cheese/meats/breads counters I think. But I don't buy many of those. I go to Whole Foods when I go to Ca on business but I don't think there's one even an hour from me here.

But there is a farmer who has a small store and greenhouse just 2mi down the road. They sell fabulous produce (their own & from Lancaster County). And there are always farmers who pull up produce to sell along the main road during summer. Trade offs...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9604692

The problem with farm stands is that they're local but usually not organic, and if I have to choose I go organic every time. We have two good farm stands within a mile of our home, and I do get corn there, but when I get the non-organic apples they burn my lips!
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9604799

I have to chime in...Tammy, love, love, love your new kitchen! Love all the space and work area!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9604806

All that COUNTER space is to die for!!!!

I'm dying, I'm dying for some!!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9604877

Celene... your Asian store had FRESH LYCHEE? Be still my heart. I had a friend down in Redlands (Laurel knows where that is) who raised them. The canned ones are okay, but not comparable to fresh!

I've enjoyed looking at Low Country seafood recipes yesterday and today. I think I could eat my weight in fresh shrimp or blue crabs, but I haven't had any fresh-caught fish other than trout in years. What's in the stores today is often farm-raised on GMO grains, and not quite-so-fresh or frozen first anyway.

I found a recipe for Limpin' Susan, said to be a cousin to Hoppin' John. I'd try it if I could learn to like okra.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9604938

GG - I know what you mean about organic. I don't get the apples from the roadside (except Ginger gold. I can't get those at the grocery). Many local growers don't use a lot of pesticides / herbicides (if any at all) so its a good option for most. I know two local farms that are certified organic. So far - no GMO corn so I don't worry about buying corn but that is changing isn't it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9604957

I'm like Leslie and prefer organic. It's generally not more nutritious, unless you find a farmer really dedicated to increasing Brix in what they grow, but at least organics have no pesticide/herbicide residues. My system reacts badly to those.

Everything I grow is organic, and I've been working to increase the Brix in my veggies for 5-6 years. I'm making some headway, but it takes a long time to improve soil enough to increase the Brix in fruits and vegetables.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2013

Post #9604962

What's Brix, Darius?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9604991

Used to be just a measurement of sugar in wine grapes but then they found it also measures nutritional values of any fruits and vegetables. You can even measure the Brix in plant leaves before they fruit so you can know if they need amending.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2401/

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9605456

We had chicken cacciatore tonight. I am trying to use up the tomato sauce from last summers' harvest. It was really good!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9605488

Hi, Happy/Nancy. Can't wait to hear your story and read what's for dinner at your place. Is your professional history based in S. FL? I grew up there with food professional parents and have a home in North Miami Beach.

We are refrigerator raiders tonight. So far snacked on a split tuna wrap and leftover pollo con papas. I might make a couple of wraps from leftover pork roast, salsa, cheese, Greek yogurt and salad items.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9605498

I thought I'd have lamb chops tonight but I have such an array of fresh fruits and salad stuff I brought for my brothers' visit, none of which they ate. I already took half to a neighbor but I'd hate for the rest to go to waste if I don't eat it.

Laurel, I wish I ate such well-balanced meals as you do, or as Leslie does. Cooking for one, I get stuck in a rut.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9605515

I forgot to mention that the first of the local peaches are in! Made a delicious dessert. Oh I love summer!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 19, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9605531

Darius, I cook much less for myself when my husband isn't around. It's sad, but true. When I was single? I hardly ever cooked meals except for other people.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9605555

Darius, cooking for any number can leave us in a rut. My suggestion is to look at what's in front of you and imagine what you have rather than think about what's missing. It's like painting or gardening. Just fill in the empty space.

Did I say we planted a new peach tree, a Hale's Haven semi-dwarf, in honor of our newest family member? It's a Jewish tradition to plant a tree for occasions both happy and sad. Well, we planted the peach tree to honor his birth and then purchased a Keiffer pear to plant in honor of his brit milah (bris). We had to cut a pear tree this past winter. All bases are now covered. We hope to plant the pear this coming week. It will only have a wild pear as a pollinator but that should be okay.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9605594

Since I spent the major part of the day prepping and freezing produce and fruit, we went out and had a big greasy cheesy pizza.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 20, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9605761

Last night I made corn beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots. It was yummy and I have enough for supper tonight. Yippeeee.

Laural, here it goes... I was a late bloomer for I didn't start culinary school until I was 50 an it became a new way of life for me. AFter that the school hired me as an instructor and was there for three more years. The I became the exec at our one and only soup kitchen and finally got my certification from the ACF (American cuinary Federation) as an Executive Chef. I was there for 8 years and learned more about like than I cared to know!

Then I went to ARC, another charity, which has programs for the mentally, physically an mentally challenged. I started up their kitchen ordering all necessary small wares and then started with a training program for the clients. We had a small restaurant for the staff and clients. I was 63 when I got there and promised to stay till they got a replacement for me. I too them 2 years and then I retired.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for asking.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9605774

Went out to Third Friday at the local arts district, toured the galleries, and had a vegan burger with our vegan houseguest. It was actually rather good - mostly mushroom.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9605807

Hap - I love 2nd and 3rd act stories! I'm in my 2nd act and hope to move on to the my third in a few years. Probably something in the non-profit sector and probably something in the non-paid sector. :-)

I've spent the morning vacuum packing blueberries! I just open a cabinet, pull out the vacuum sealer & bags, set it on the counter (no shuffling of anything) and go.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 20, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9606612

I still have frozen peaches from last year in the freezer . Have bought some over ripe ones twice so far this year and have five trays full in the dehydrator . Dried three trays last week . Need more peaches to dry and share with my son . He takes a trail mix for snacks to work each day and the peaches will be welcome .
We helped my D H's son put fence and rail around his front porch today so his dogs could enjoy the porch while he works in the yard . They made a run for another 2x4 and brought home Chicken sandwiches for lunch . Still not hungry so grilled bagels with Nutella for late night snack .
I'm getting hungry for chicken veggy soup .Guess that's a good crock pot dish for tomorrow nite .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9606783

Daughter, hub and new babe are coming from D.C. to Maypop for an extended stay. We will meet them at the cottage with dogs and food in tow. I made a grilled veggie and bow tie pasta salad (my new thing with lots of veggies and just a little pasta) and an antipasti platter. SO will grill chicken sausages. We have watermelon and German shortbread for dessert.

Hap, thanks for sharing. It's a good story to stick to.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9606796

How wonderful it will be to have your new little family there! Enjoy, Laurel!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9606846

We are thrilled. SO is totally smitten with Little E. He was the same with our three...diapers, baths and all.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9606856

Awwww... I'm so happy for you Laurel. You'll all enjoy the time together. It will give the new parents a little relief from the care of the new baby while you all enjoy time & wonderful food together.

We stopped by a mennonite organic farm yesterday. I picked up a few sweet peppers a red cabbage and a muskmelon. I'm working on using up the roasted tomato sauce from last year so will use it with the cabbage.

Tam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9606898

I have bags of last years feeble paste tomatoes still in the freezer. I don't know if they be very good, I was planning to do the roasted sauce. But not when its 100 degrees outside.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9606918

Last night I roasted the few beets my neighbor gave me; they will be sliced to go in salads, mostly. Roasted beets are SO sweet! I bought 5 bunches of small beets yesterday at the farmer's market, and will roast and pickle them today. Half will be lacto-fermented, and half as regular vinegar pickles.

I'm looking forward to a sautÚ of beet greens tonight! Only about half the greens were small enough to be tender, but they will be delicious with lamb chops and a baked potato.

I bought ONE heirloom tomato at the farmer's market, $2.00! I'm drooling at the thought of a BLT sandwich for lunch.

Tam, melons don't grow well here, or are fairly tasteless if they do grow. Susan bought 2 sweet-smelling cantaloupes in SC last week when we got peaches. Kicking myself for not buying a couple of them too.

I should have picked up a bag of Vidalia onions, too. They are around $1.50/pound here, and I can go through a big bag easily when I'm canning.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9606937

Some fabulous melons are grown in Lancaster County Pa! And I always buy them by the smell. I was worried all the rain earlier would make them watery but the first I've had was good. I suspect they will be better in the next week since its been drier.

Darius - a friend of mine is giving me lacto fermented garlic as a thank you for the produce I share from my garden. She says it mellows the bite of raw so its delicious raw (which obviously is better than cooked, health-wise)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 21, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9606945

Planning my menu this week...I am going to try making a curried potato salad with some added steamed cauliflower and fresh green peas to make it lower in calories and more...Indian. Nothing like making stuff up as you go along?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9606976

Tam, I lacto-ferment many things, never thought about garlic. Please let me know how you like it?

I have a head of cauliflower in the refrigerator, and plan to make 'cauliflower rice' with it. I'm trying to get away from high-carb foods. I have some brassicas in a raised bed but something (groundhog?) keeps eating the leaves so I don't have any expectations of produce.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9607027

Celene sounds right on target yum
week's menu? what a concept, maybe I should try it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9607030

I was looking just this morning on how to make and also freeze cauliflower rice. If you would, please post how it turns out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9607031

Pooh, I'm lucky if I can plan a supper before noon, never mind a week's worth of meals!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013

Post #9607032

gardenglory, I will. I haven't a clue how it would freeze, but I would imagine okay if it's well-drained.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9607053

My week's menu? Uhhh no, mostly, it's what's next?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9607208

OK I have to admit I ate an entire head of cauliflower for dinner last night. I tossed pcs in olive oil, roasted 'til golden browned, squeezed fresh lime juice and was unable to resist eating it all. No carbs and it was delicious. :-)

Now I'm gonna have to work on the green beans. Got a huge pile washed. I think I'll make a pseudo-pasta dish with summer squash, grean beans, carmelized onions and just a little pasta. OH I also picked the first speghetti squash from the garden today. And the harvest season begins...

Tam

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9607319

Making a menu ahead...yus gots to be kidding. Planning ahead for me is having something on my mind by 2pm. Then it's a dash to the finish.

But if you could see my DH an myself, you would think that we shouldn't eat at all.
then I plan a meal and he says, not tonight,,,how about ?????? UGH.
Take that in fact for today. I planned a nice pot roast meal...no I want hamburgs. So that was the end of my good intension.

I envy you all for your gardens lush with veggies. With all the critters that I have here I wouldn't even think about feeding them. (Iguana, possums, raccoons, slugs, just to name a few. It would be a lost cause. Plus, I would not know where to put them in my jungle. I wanted to plant some marigolds this summer but I could't figure out where I would have room. LOL

Happy eating.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9607342

We're enjoying all the fresh sugar peas, and the green beans but there are days when I'd just as soon pass. I have both full size freezers crammed to the doors so we may just have to eat our way through the rest of what comes...and the tomatos haven't even started yet. I picked one, the size of a ping pong ball, which is the proper size for the type but it's still hard.

I like the big mix of lots of fresh veggies with just a little pasta so there's some "tooth" and it does a good job of filling you up. I can do without meat most of the time but DH likes to have it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9607345

Tam, I still have 2 butternuts from last year, and 2 yellow acorns. Hard to believe they haven't gone bad yet in storage. The biggest acorn is bigger than any I've ever seen in my life, and I WILL save seeds.

I grew a few spaghetti squash last year, saved the seeds and planted them but my sister's yard man got them before they grew much. So far, I've harvested just a pitiful small handful of beans but the bean area growth looks encouraging.

I wish I could grow brassicas, but something here apparently loves them as much as I do.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9607352

Something found my sweet potato tub and ate most of the leaves off, now I've got a tomato cage which may ( hoping so) at least discourage the chomper. I know it wasn't a bunny, the tub it too tall.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9607356

Bunnies can't jump??

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9607488

Darius, we have been doing low carb for a while now, and I lost about 20 pounds in about 6 months. I love it! I don't ever feel hungry, because most of the stuff I am eating is so filling, and doesn't just disappear on me quickly like the high carb stuff.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9607523

I went on a mostly Paleo diet about 2 years ago, lost quite a few pounds and felt really great, but I succumbed back to bad eating habits about a year ago. My shame, but I'm trying to get back to low carb.

I try to eat winter squash and sweet potatoes in place of the high-glycemc white potatoes but every now and then I crave a baked potato with sour cream and chives. The sour cream is no problem on a Paleo diet, just the potato.

Dr. Davis' book "Wheat Belly" is a real eye opener about how our wheat has changed since around 1950, and what the "new" wheat (but not GMO wheat) does to our systems.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9607945

I really didn't realize how much of what I ate was carbs, until I started trying to count them. Since I started this about a year ago, I have had no ulcers in my mouth, when I normally had them on a regular basis, and only a very few of my "usual" migraines. I am amazed! And I do slip up some too, but I really do try hard to stick to the low carb stuff. We do butternut squash and acorn squash in place of potatoes, and spaghetti squash in place of pasta. It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9608600

I have half (about 5#) of the organic chicken feet my chicken man gave me Saturday now simmering with onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, a few sprigs of fresh thyme and some peppercorns. Last night I parboiled them so I could skin and de-claw them. What a PITA. I usually buy them already prepped at the Asian store in Blacksburg, but those are never organic.

When I get around to the 2nd half (now frozen), I'll simmer them Asian style with fresh ginger, star anise, garlic and cayenne. I'll add some fresh lemongrass if I can find any.

I know most folks think chicken feet are nasty bits, but when cooked down the broth is jelly-like and full of glucosamine and chrondriton. I mix a bit into my homemade chicken stock for body and added nutrition.

I cannot believe how much chicken stock I go through every year, and it seems my stores of homemade stock are never enough. I refuse to buy the junk stock in the grocery stores, so I'll have to make a big effort to make more this year as long as I can get local organic (and expensive) chickens or pieces-parts.

Leslie, do you make stock from duck or goose carcasses? If so, how is it?

I had planned a big ticket expenditure this Fall for a large bucket of either duck fat or goose fat. However, a planned Fall trip with another DG friend to the NC/SC coast to stock up on seafood will empty my pockets.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9608768

Darius, I don't make stock much. If I have a chicken carcass I sometimes use it to make chicken soup, but then we just eat the soup for a meal rather than saving it for another time. When I have duck or goose carcasses I make rillettes with them. Yum!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9608773

I really enjoyed the pasta dish I got from Cook's Illustrated w/a couple modifications.

green beans
cube red potatoes
pesto
pasta

I added 3 summer squash juilienned

There's lemon juice to really kick up the flavor (as if the pesto wasn't enough!) Yum

Tam

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9608804

I had fresh green beans and pattypan squash that I steamed. Had some mornay sauce left over from a prior meal , so that went well with them. Steak was tough, and will be either soup or stew in it's next incarnation.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9608897

Made chicken salad . Had that with Ritz crackers and baked pita chips . It made a good dip for my chips .

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 22, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9608916

I had leftover pasta. I'm so exciting, lol.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9608954

Darius, I totally respect your chicken feet but I can't bring myself to do it. Why do you skin and declaw them- I mean other than not having to look at those claws in something you'll eventually eat.
But yes I do always cook bones for broth- adds so much to the soup.

Gawd- worked tonight and had a can of Progresso...So watery! I can't stand canned soup anymore.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9609137

Sally, removing the skin (and talons) is just so more of the nutrients leach out. I NEVER eat the feet although some cultures do. Blech! I just strain it all, and process it in my pressure canner.

Supper was a take-off on my mother's fall-back recipe of tuna-noodle casserole when she was working as a waitress when we were kids. I cooked some angel hair pasta, added half a pound of sautÚed shrimp and a can of mushroom soup.

I probably haven't bought more than 2-3 cans of soup in years, hate it as much as Sally does, but just happened to find one in my sister's pantry.

I make a pretty good pot of homemade mushroom soup, but haven't canned any bella mushrooms lately.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9609182

pasta shrimp and soup IS a step up from tuna noodle casserole.. Cream soups are such an easy 'cream sauce'

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 23, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9609200

Good Morning All,,..

We had baked pork chops and cucumber salad last night and it was yummy. Think I'll make some more salad today.

I believe that we will have pot roast for dinner tonight. Dragging out my cast iron dutch oven is a pain. It seems to be gaining weight on me for it get heavier and heavier every time I drag it out. LOL

Happytail, I'm trying to cut down on my carbs also. What a PITA. Never knew I ate so many carbs until I started to eliminate them. I hope to lose 20 pounds by Saturday. That's a joke, son...

Toodles.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 23, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9609201

I can't deal with canned cream of anything soup. It's so easy to make and not slimy, I don't know why people don't just make it. Ditto for cream of tomato soup. I am getting ready to make at least 60 pints of tomato basil bisque to freeze, so I can just thaw some soup if I'm in a hurry or sick. DH throws some shrimp in when he heats it, and adds cajun seasoning.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9609354

Talking about chicken feet, in the deep south,
here in sw. Georgia,
all of the local farm worker's
love the chickens feet battered and fried.
They sell them in all our local groceries.
I can hardly stand to look at them, lol.
and I am no whimp , being a farm girl forever..

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9609365

A good friend of mine who works in NYC loves to buy a pack of chicken feet from the street vendors in China Town. It must be an acquired taste. At times I have a hard time just eating meat, let alone odd parts like the feet or odd animals like some from the sea. Somehow eating plants is just a lot easier mentally.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9609443

I was taken to live with my daddy's sister in Az when I was five . She boiled chicken feet and I thought they were good .Texture like boiled pigs feet .She didn't put butter or sugar and not much salt in oatmeal either . Now that was like glue .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9609445

Tam, there are some 'odd animals' from the sea that I miss. When my dad was stationed just outside Key West, we lived in town about 2 blocks from where the shrimp boats came in. Occasionally we'd get fresh turtle steaks, delicious and tasted kinda like veal.

For many years I've refused to buy veal for how they are raised. Now some farmers are raising 'rose veal' where the bull calves are out on pasture with their mothers, getting some mama's milk and some grass. It's expensive to castrate those calves and feed them to beef size, thus they become 'rose veal' which is really very tender.

Some food things just repulse me, whether animal or vegetable. (Okra comes to mind, plus chitlings, tripe, and scrambled brains.) My dad was far more adventurous than I am about what he'd eat.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9609448

Sally, we cross-posted... but you get a gold star for eating chicken feet as a kid!

I could give myself a star for eating the fried tripe my step-mother made occasionally, and I've actually eaten chitlins as a kid, but I hope never to have to eat either one again.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9609449

Tripe is wonderful in menudo .The more , the better . It's the first dish I order when we get to Texas . Only served on weekends . A tradition in the Mexican culture .I have some in the freezer to make my own when I get around to it . Chitlins are only good in my opinion when fried . ( Gotta boil them three times in salt water first .)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9609451

That's how I feel about oatmeal without proper seasonings . I just wouldn't eat it . Restaurants don't have a clue about cooking it , it's all instant .Lots of butter , salt , then sugar and crumbled bacon with Toast on the side . LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9609532

Sally, you get TWO gold stars!

I can eat oatmeal if it's real chopped oats, long-cooked. Can't do instant or quick oatmeal.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9609935

Darius, I grew up in Johnson City, TN (upper Far East corner). You anywhere near there?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9609938

Yep, JC is about 50 miles away. I pass through it on my way across Sam's Gap to Asheville where I used to live, and still have many friends there.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013

Post #9609968

Been a while since I was up there. At least 13 years. We were in New Orleans for 21 years, and moved to St. Simons Island, GA about 3 years ago. Job stuff. But I miss the food from New Orleans.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9609985

I bought one Ronde De Nice Squash (French heirloom) at the market today, as much for the seeds to save for next year as for the squash to eat. http://www.rareseeds.com/ronde-de-nice-squa/

My Amish farmer friend was to bring me 2 gallons of fresh milk today, which is why I went to the market. He wasn't there and his boys didn't know anything about it, so I'll get my milk on Saturday at the market. I really have to get back into making cheese. Good cheese is expensive, and I can make pretty decent cheese.

The 'nasty bits' (chicken feet) have been simmered, drained, solids thrown out and now I have nearly 3 quarts of free nutritious, gelatinous stock to add to my regular chicken stock stash.

Since I've turned most of you off by my chicken feet, I may just cook down some pig's feet for stock additions.

Having said that, I still cannot do Menudo!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9610052

just don't mention chitterlings...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9610092

Chittlins',

YAY!!

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN THEM!!!

Thank goodness there are two sources for me in Houston!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9610178

Gymgirl wrote:Chittlins',

YAY!!

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN THEM!!!

Now that is for sure!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 24, 2013
1:52 AM

Post #9610245

Chitterlings make me glad I'm a vegetarian.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9610274

I ordered andouillettes once in Paris and couldn't make myself eat them; even DH had to give up after a couple of bites. They are made with chitterlings and they smelled exactly like what they were...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9610320

I suppose if you were among those starving in the South during and soon after the Civil War (how can ANY war be civil?) you'd be glad to eat Chittlins.

Frankly, I'd choose butter beans (which I haven't had in years)!

Sally, since you are technically a Southerner, being south of the Mason-Dixon line (barely), you need to learn to say Chittlins' rather than the proper name of Chitterlings. LOL.

(You don't need to learn to eat them!)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9610453

Oh yeah. I actually debated which name to write. But our local grocery store once had a sign in the meat dept about chitterlings so I went formal.

Gary Paulsen wrote that what you're willing to eat depends on how hungry you are. (many others must have said too)

There's an awesome quote about war by a doctor, posted at the Antietem Battlefield site. by Dr William Childs, but it seems impossible to find the quote anwhere else. ..."that a force can and will hurl masses of men at each other? It seems impossible and yet it is so- why, we cannot know..." Something like that But I digress.

Fridge is full of little plastic containers it must be leftovers/ clean out night.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9610556

Properly cleaned and cooked chittlins do not SMELL or taste bad...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013

Post #9611012

I had a girls night out for dinner & a pedi with a friend but did cook when I got home. Made a big batch of "goulash" for my dad - will freeze it and deliver in a few weeks.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9611054

We went out for artisan pizzas and craft beers with the kids last night. Had peppers stuffed with brown rice and ground turkey tonight. Daughter made a beautiful salad with a lemon, mint, parsley, oil and garlic dressing like one used with fatoush.

Back to Atlanta tomorrow.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 25, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9611305

Warm quinoa salad, roasted zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and red onions, and spinach salad with berries. I will grill a piece of chicken or salmon for DH to go with this. Any opinions about which I should choose?

Dessert is melon...honey rock, verte de grimpant, and watermelon.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 25, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9611422

My pick would be chicken. Can't stand salmon grilled, but I eat is every morning as Lox. Yummy.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 25, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9611434

I made chicken, because I had it in the freezer already. I loathe the smell of fish, that helped my decision, lol.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2013

Post #9611540

Chit-lins !
Menudo is an aquired taste .
Brains , I'm not that hungry .
Made sausage from fresh ground pork roast . (Love my grinder) Had simple sausage gravy and bisquits .
Got in on a half price sale on meat after the fourth and cleaned up . The fresh hams were down to $1.00 a pound , got two of those for around $10.00 each . I need a cube machine .
Wish I could talk DH into store pizza tonight . I slept from 3:00 yesterday 'till 6:30 this morning . Still sleepy . That's about once every two years event .
Nuts , I'll go find something easy for tonight . That putes to a 30 minute meal . Got it , stir fry with chicken chunks and pineapple bits , pecans .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9611697

I was going to do chicken-something tonight, but since todays high temp was maybe 79 and dry and absolutely wonderful out- I got out some odds and ends for soup. Chicken broth and tomato sauce with sausage, are my base for an improvised sort of minestrone.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9611922

I am getting way more summer squash than I can eat and its not going fast w/my friends. So... I made a dish I saw in NYTimes today. Carmelized onions w/cherry tomatoes & wine layered with squash & curry spiced panko. Oh was it good!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9611980

Back in Atlanta. Made a garden fusion Cubexican dinner. Homemade corn tortillas, garden cucumber, tomato, lime & cilantro salsa, pulled pork with fried cabbage, Mexican rice, and Cuban black beans.

Today is Little E's one month b.d.. Tomorrow is daughter's and SO's first anniversary. We will babysit and treat them to dinner out. Maybe a box of diapers for a gift since one year is paper. :)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9611996

Oh Laurel.. that gift idea just made me smile. I bet they would enjoy it immensely. And what a great story for Little E in the years to come.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9612054

The store had going-bad strawberries for 50 cents a pint. Made a pie and have a bag in the freezer for half another pie, for $2. The pie is very juicy, runny, or do you really have to let them cool so they set up?
and the Pillsbury pie crust seems nicer than the off brand ones I've bought lately. Do you guys like Pillsbury better? I just didn't want to make crust and have to wait and be eating pie at midnight.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
3:59 AM

Post #9612155

I always use cornstarch or Minute Tapioca in my fruit pies to stop them from being so runny, but it should be more solid once it cools, anyway.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9612364

I used 3 TB of cornstarch...they couldn't wait any longer to cut it!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 26, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9612422

I prefer plain flour for thickner . It makes a creamier filling . I only buy Mrs. Smith or Pillsbury deep dish pie crust . As good as mine and easier .

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 26, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9612856

I make my own pie crusts and freeze them, so I don't have to do it too awfully often.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9612873

I found tapioca to work really well in fruit pies. I could only find the large pearl size last time I looked and then ground them up in my (cleaned) spice grinder.

Leftovers tonight.
Tam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9612877

Duly noted all great advice on pies.! TIme for me to have another piece.
Made chicken wings- no recipe. Just soaked in salt water a bit then some oil and generous sprinkle of Old Bay, baked till golden.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9615728

Perhaps time for a new thread?

I had my first dinner party w/the new kitchen. Was in heaven cooking for it!

I made chicken cacciatore, a squash w/carmelized onions, tomato in wine sauce layered with curried panko (baked) and a plum clafoutis for dessert. We toasted the new kitchen with champaigne and had a grand time!

I've frozen a lot of blueberries & 2 dozen ears of organic corn I got from the memonite farm neary by. The crop is fabulous this year so I'm sure we'll ahve more.

Tonight - left over squash dish w/fresh peaches for dessert.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 30, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9616752

Mango nectar with frozen strawberries blended into a slushy for me and smoked pork roast with mango salsa ,toms ,steamed squash , corn on cob for J.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9616782

And tonight, left overs - squash dish & clafoutis. And a glass of wine
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9616788

Dinner here the last few nights with family and friends then dinner at a friend's home with our grown kids and theirs. Just the four of us tonight. Baby backs, squash casserole, baked potatoes & roasted Brussels sprouts.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9616871

yum yum yum

I made turkey burgers and forgot that they wouldn't shrink the way beef burgers do. So they're nice and big
Tomorrow homemade tomato soup.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 30, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9616877

I made some spinach, zucchini and chick pea patties to serve with a mixed grain pilaf, green beans with lemon, and sliced tomatoes, basil, and cucumber.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9616890

That sounds so good, Celene. Were recipes involved? I'm especially interested in veggie patties.

More guests tomorrow. I'm making fried fish tacos on homemade tortillas, grilled veggie salad and a fresh fruit salad.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 30, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9617048

The veggie patties loosely have a recipe. Loosely. I shred one medium zucchini with the large holes on a grater, and salt the shreds lightly--like you'd salt popcorn, and toss them in a colander to drain. Want mushroom? Shred and salt some of those as well. I leave this to drain maybe 30 min, and press out all the liquid, I squeeze really hard against the bottom of the colander. Pop the salted, squeezed zucchini in a mixing bowl.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. These will stick like crazy, so don't try just using release spray, or you will curse the day I was born. I use parchment sprayed with release spray.

I use 2 big handfuls of dry, roughly chopped spinach per medium zucchini, you can mix it up as you like. Steam the spinach in the microwave for just a minute, squeeze until dry, and add to bowl with zucchini. I generally end up with 2 small handfuls of spinach when I'm done. Rough chop about 1/2 cup of drained garbanzo beans or whatever firm cooked bean you prefer and add this to the mixing bowl.

Add about 1/2 cup diced onion or green onion, about 1/2 cup cheese--the flavor is up to you, and 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs--seasoned is okay if you like them. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper, and whatever herbs you like. I personally like a little parsley and dill. Add 1 egg per 2-ish cups of veg after you've tasted to correct seasoning. Mix it all together and make patties--I use about 1/4 cup per patty, and place on prepared sheet, and bake until browned on top. Let them rest for a couple minutes and work them off the parchment, they'll be sticky.

Do you want to add...
chopped cooked broccoli, squeezed so it's dry, instead of spinach?
finely diced red pepper
finely shredded carrot
chopped, drained cooked kale instead of spinach
cooked, mashed leftover winter squash-great for leftover spaghetti squash, but be forewarned, the patties will be a monkey ugly color with winter squash. Like something you'd find in a diaper! They're still tasty, though.

What didn't work...
Tomato--canned, fresh sun-dried, not so tasty
Corn
Potato-any kind, fresh or not.
green beans

It's a forgiving recipe, just make sure the vegetables that are likely to release water when cooked...spinach, mushrooms, are steamed a little and squeezed dry, and the zucchini is salted and squeezed dry. The patties are not super attractive when they're baked, so you may want to throw a little extra cheese and maybe some diced parsley or dill on top when they're almost browned.

They reheat fairly well, I've never bothered to freeze them because they're so easy to make. My sister prefers them in ball shapes, it's up to you.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9617390

Thanks, Celene. I'm def going to try them. Thinking a little corn meal, seasoned crumbs or panko might reduce the stick. I don't use release sprays but will olive oil parchment and spritz the tops of the patties.

Forgot I bought two very large plantains at the farmers market that will make a good addition to the fish taco dinner tonight.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 31, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9617792

I've tried oiling the parchment, and it works as well as release spray. Let me know if the coating reduces the sticking to the pan, it's the only thing I dislike about these.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

August 1, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9618328

I have a pile of half-sheet parchment in my amazon cart. Should I try Silpat or one of the knockoffs instead? I will still need some parchment for odd sized pans, but I go through 100 sheets every couple of months. I have fear of sticking, and not fitting my favorite cookie sheet.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9618444

Silpats are a miracle!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9618724

I cut the silpat to fit my cookie sheet and am very much enjoying it. It was just about 1/2" too wide. No issue whatsoever in cutting it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9618767

Hope Terry shows up soon. This thread is getting very slow.

We arrived at Maypop a few hours ago. After casing out the garden, and doing a little picking, the leftover salad was beefed up. Red beans have been defrosted and pulled brisket in tomatoes, onions, etc. (from the grits 'n cheese) dinner have been added to the beans. We are having a one dish taco salad on trays and Netflix.

It's chantrelle season here. Being mostly in the woods we've got tons. Fresh chantrelles for tomorrow's dinner.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9618825

I don't think she'd mind if we started a new thread. I'll start one soon if we don't hear from her soon

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9618862

I hope Terry doesn't mind... I started us a new thread as this one is getting so long is slow slow slow...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1327767/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America