Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Propagation: Propagating monarda?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

June 27, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9575582

How do I propagate Monarda - and when? I took some cuttings by accident last year, and they stayed green in a pot in the greenhouse all winter but never really rooted either. I love mine and would like to have more. it's purple. Got it at a local garden center, no idea of variety.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 27, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9575611

I just divide in spring every few years - can't stop them. I love the deep red,
You can take sottwood cuttings in spring - maybe dip in rooting hormone. I would take the ones you have and plant in a moist ( not wet) area of the garden. After you get a stand establish you vp can continually grab from what you got and transplant ( not deep)

Thin every few years if get too crowded can mildew also like Shasta the middle of the stand gets yucky if not kept with good airflow and rejuvenated.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America