Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Mosquito, Flea, and Tick repellant plants?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9575720

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew of any plants I could grow that repel mosquitos, fleas, and ticks? Ticks and mosquitos seem to be really bad this year around here, and with two kids that just love to run all over the place, I'd like to plant a few plants that will repel these buggers. Something that will grow in shade/partial-shade because my yard is mostly shady/partly shady.

Thanks!!!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 27, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9575900

wish I knew the answer to that, here in UK there is a country wide warning for this year with ref to the ticks being on the increase, they can be very dangerous as they carry disease that can be fatal however, the best I know for all the bugs you ask about is to use the spray protections that are on the market, were long sleeves and long pants at sun down for the Mosquito's, but flee's and Ticks don't have a special time to be around. Make sure you don't leave water around that will stagnate and make sure you keep the watering cans covered so the Mozzies cant lay eggs even the kids paddle pools attract these bugs if left outdoors uncovered for a day or two, so it's best to prevent them using your place as a breading ground BUT there is no sure fire way you can do that where kids are concerned, they want to go run wild and gosh, is that not what childhood is supposed to be about anyway.
Hope someone can help better than me MrsLidwell, good luck for a bug free summer and Best Regards. WeeNel.
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9576046

Thanks WeeNel. I've read a few articles since posting this thread that shared some plants that naturally repel these pests, though I'd need to dig a little deeper to see if my yard provides enough sunlight for them. Was kind of hoping some of the more experienced gardeners on here could give me some insight as well. Thanks for your suggestions, though! I definitely plan to buy some repellant sprays and such soon.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9578106

Tansy, repels bugs, though it is highly toxic if eaten so if your kids have a tendency to eat things, I'd avoid it
There is a citronella scented geranium but you have to rub the leaves to release the scent

here's some more info for you
http://www.wildernesscollege.com/plants-that-repel-mosquitoes.html

also lavender

Try to attract bats to your yard they eat lots of mosquitos
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9579496

Thanks FlowAjen. I have heard Lavender will repel a bunch, but I can't use Lavender, unfortunately, because we have family that are allergic to it. I just read the other day that lemongrass repels a lot of things, so I might look into growing some of that.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2013
10:58 PM

Post #9579570

Oh and the best non-Deet bug spray...is Repel... works wonderful!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Repel-94109-Eucalyptus-Natural-Repellent/dp/B004N59OFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372571857&sr=8-1&keywords=repel+insect+repellent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9582028

Thanks for the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus link, flowAjen!

These are some plants that were listed for repelling mosquitos in an article I found several years ago (don't remember where, though).

Basil (I've read in other places that it's also good for fruit flies and gnats).

Lemongrass

Citronella Plant/Grass

Rosemary

Catnip

Marigolds

Garlic

Tansies

I haven't personally tried any of them so I can't verify whether or not they work. But it's certainly worth trying since they're all readily available.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America