-
AuthorContent
RetiredFlorida
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9576248

Took some cuttings of a Michelia Figo aka Banana Shrub this past February here in Florida. Kept in my garage on a heat mat and under lights as seen in the cups. Anyone ever seen anything rooting like this before?

I didn't examine my other cuttings but they all seem to be growing after a pretty long period in the cups, almost 5 months.

Darren

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida   Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida   Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 4, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9586745

I like this method. I just got mu cups out to try a few vines. Great job there.
RetiredFlorida
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9587120

Thanks Gourd. The other cuttings have actual roots, when I repotted this one I lost it to dehydration. I didn't put it back in the cup, so if you try this, I'd try cutting holes in the cups to let it acclimate to lower humidity.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9587140

Great job, Darren!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9587141

Have you tried air-layering?

I've had great success with it and swear by it. I especially like that with air-layering there is little to no chance of loosing the limb or section if the rooting effort fails, although I've never had one fail. It's super easy. You can buy kits specifically designed for air-layering, but I just nick the plant on one side where I want the roots to grow and then wrap some damp sphagnum moss around it held in place with plastic wrap and twist-ties. I like plastic wrap so I can see the roots grow through the sphagnum, but you can use just about anything you can wrap around the area: foil, etc.

The idea is just to form a make-shift 'pot' of sorts in the air around the nicked stem, something to hold the rooting material (sphagnum moss, etc) in place until roots form. Once the roots are sufficiently well developed, you just sever the stem below the root ball and plant it in soil. Very easy and no risk of the leaves collapsing before roots can form.
RetiredFlorida
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9588292

Thanks DreamOfSpring,

The whole purpose of my posting was to give people an idea of an easier way to propagate this plant which is normally done by air layering. It don't get any easier than cuttings in soil. I tried air layering once and messed it up, didn't put foil on the cutting and it cooked. Thanks for sharing that, now people reading this will have two ideas of propagation in one thread ;-)

Thanks Jo. You've got a package coming next week.

Darren
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9588302

Darren, what?!!! Ohhhh, Christmas in July!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America