Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: adding fertilizer to MG potting mix?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9576894

Ive got various large 14-16" pots going, there's a cherry tom, basil, ichiban eggplant, cubanelle pepper, and pole beans. They are currently in 1/2miracle gro,1/2 moisture miracle gro potting mix that states feed for up to 6 months (N-P-K .21-.07-.14)

Things have been slow with the cooler weather I guess...

-Do I add more fertilizer or is this enough for the season?
-I have MG slow release that's 10-10-10, and a box of regular general purpose MG, or I see now there is a newer slow release one for fruits and veg with calcium etc.?

Thanks

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9576913

There should be instructions on the bag(s) as to when to add more fertilizer. I suspect it will be a time-release type that will be good for about four months.
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9578513

On the products website the question was answered as
"You may fertilize using Miracle Gro water soluble fertilizers 30 days after planting your plants in this soil, but you should not use any slow release fertilizers for 6 months."

-So about a month after planting I should start to use a soluble fertilizer? -Is feeding every 2 weeks good for this mix of vegetables, with the slow release still working.
-Any other recommendations, heavy feeders, a plant that would not like any more fertilizer etc.?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9578795

When using chemical fertilizers, I feel "less is best". Using too much fertilizer can burn roots and leaves. You could end up with dead plants.

If the mix you are using contains time release fertilizer, I don't know why the manufacturer would recommend using a soluble fertilizer 30 days after planting.

I would definitely NOT give basil more fertilizer. Herbs, in general, do well on a slim diet.

Perhaps the best approach is to wait and see how the plants are progressing. If they are robust, have green leaves, and are growing, I would hold off on adding any fertilizer. The time release fertilizer should be adequate. If in a few weeks, they look "hungry" give them a weak solution of soluble fertilizer.

Fertilizer manufacturers always seem to want their customers to use more product than is necessary, in my opinion.

I should tell you that I garden organically and do not use chemical fertilizers. I use an entirely different approach to fertilization. BUT, the above approach should work in your situation. The plants don't care if one uses organic or chemical fertilizers, just as long as you don't give them too much at once.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America