killer eggs?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I went out this morning & found these eggs all over my squash & cuke plants. The plants were healthy 2 days ago but now are dying! Can I kill or destroy the eggs? Do I have to Yank the plants or can I save them? Any help would be great. I'm in Clearwater, FL if that makes any difference. I was so upset my hands were shaking so the pics mite not b awesome.

Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

My first instincts tell me that it could be Black Aphids, not so easy to tell with the photo quality

http://urbanfarmgirl.hubpages.com/hub/Getting-Rid-of-Aphids-Without-Pesticide

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

UPDATE!! I went out & found these worms under the leaves. They are lite green w/ 2 white stripes. What are they & how do I kill them?

Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks like caterpillar poop to me. Find the culprits and squish them with your fingers!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

southern army worms, cutworms, skeletonizers, kill, kill, kill!, squish those webs, spray, neem oil, bt, but fast!, If you are fast enough your plants may recover

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

tomatoes, beans to start with, then they eat everything else. become moths if they live, bane of every commercial grower, if the planes are dusting, go dust your crops cuz they will leave the sprayed fields and come visit YOU!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

caterpillar poo was my second thought, but wasnt too sure due to the blurry photos, hope that things work out

Delhi, LA

They aren't to hard to kill. It's just according to what you are willing to use. If you are a strickler for organic, try the neem oil or bt. If your not, malithion will do the trick. I personaly like a product called Pounce. That is a trademark name and comes only by the gallon. After an hour it is gone. Pretty expensive to buy but only 1 ounce to the gallon of water so cheap in the long run.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks guys. I.ll give the bt a try & if that doesn't work then I.ll move on to the heavier stuff. Organic doesn't help me if I'm just feeding worms & not my family!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I like you attitude and agree with you. The bt should work, please keep us posted.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have not used bt in a long time, but I seem to remember that caterpillars have to consume it in order for it to work. The label should tell one how to use it. I think the caterpillars have to eat the leaves that have been treated, then they stop eating and die.

Wasps eat caterpillars!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

So do grass spiders. except not Southern Army Worms.. I recognized it from the web spun on the backside of the tomato leaf. I also consider them MY veggies and the bugs can back off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.