Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: is corn ok?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9578864

My corn started to grow & got to about 6-7" tall then stopped for a month or so but then sprouted to about 16" or so. Now they've stopped growing again & are looking a bit sick. Does corn grow in spurts? Should it look like it does in my pics? Any advice is appreciated. O & I'm in Clearwater, FL if that makes a difference. Its been hot humid & rainy this summer but I make sure they get compost mulch & water if needed.

Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9579283

Only water if they start turning less green- to the point of bluish grey... it can grow overnite, but is usually finished growing in southern areas by 4th July- having been planted around first May... feed it a high nitrogen and let it get full sun...what variety did you plant?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9579289

It isn't ready- each of those white silks is a kernal of corn, they NEED the tassel at the top of the stalk to fertilize them so they can develop. Once fertilized the silks turn brown, browner, and look dead,- then the corn has filled out properly. When the silk STARTS beginning to turn brown there will be a bug called a corn earwig/worm crawls down to eat your kernals in the silks- beat it by adding a ring of mineral oil around the bottom of the brown silk. Patience. and watch for those pesky bugs!
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9580077

I don't know which variety :( I 4got 2 keep the seed packet or write it down. The bad part is I actually planted this in March. So I guess its even further behind. Bummer.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9580137

The variety could be your problem..some corn just dooesnt do as well as other types in your area..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America