Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

is corn ok?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

My corn started to grow & got to about 6-7" tall then stopped for a month or so but then sprouted to about 16" or so. Now they've stopped growing again & are looking a bit sick. Does corn grow in spurts? Should it look like it does in my pics? Any advice is appreciated. O & I'm in Clearwater, FL if that makes a difference. Its been hot humid & rainy this summer but I make sure they get compost mulch & water if needed.

Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Only water if they start turning less green- to the point of bluish grey... it can grow overnite, but is usually finished growing in southern areas by 4th July- having been planted around first May... feed it a high nitrogen and let it get full sun...what variety did you plant?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

It isn't ready- each of those white silks is a kernal of corn, they NEED the tassel at the top of the stalk to fertilize them so they can develop. Once fertilized the silks turn brown, browner, and look dead,- then the corn has filled out properly. When the silk STARTS beginning to turn brown there will be a bug called a corn earwig/worm crawls down to eat your kernals in the silks- beat it by adding a ring of mineral oil around the bottom of the brown silk. Patience. and watch for those pesky bugs!

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know which variety :( I 4got 2 keep the seed packet or write it down. The bad part is I actually planted this in March. So I guess its even further behind. Bummer.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

The variety could be your problem..some corn just dooesnt do as well as other types in your area..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.