-
AuthorContent
Addicted2
Georgetown, AL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9579564

I bought this tree is Houston TX this past fall. I brought it home to south Alabama and over wintered it indoors. It has been on my south facing covered patio for two months now. I just don't think it's getting as much sunlight as it needs to thrive. I should say that I'm not sure exactly what it needs (sunlight) to be completely happy. Currently it is about 5 ft tall and 3 1/2 foot wide at its largest span.

I am thinking of putting it in the ground this week. Does someone have some advice on what might benefit my tree? My zone is borderline 8b/9a (we were recently upgraded to 9a). I have plenty of acreage so plenty of room to put it somewhere it can GROW!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2013 11:48 PM

Thumbnail by Addicted2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2013
1:53 AM

Post #9579623

seeing how big your plant is, i think keeping it hydrated after you transplant will be a priority since they appreciate moisture and humidity.

do you have an open area that gets some relief from sun? that would be great! in FL, you'll see them growing in many different situations, but i'm not sure how different your climate is..

once they establish, they are pretty tough.
Addicted2
Georgetown, AL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9579814

Thank you Coastalzonepush,
We have constant humidity. I do have a site that fits your suggestion. I am very close to Florida and sometimes want to sell my house and move farther south due to my love for tropical plants :) We rarely have a "hard freeze" here and MOST everything, even if it dies back, comes back in the Spring.

I would love to hear opinions from others as well. I do not want to lose this tree, nor do I want to have to bring it back in the house.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2013 7:12 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9580257

It's in landscapes all over my area, zone 8b, NW Florida.
Addicted2
Georgetown, AL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9580423

Thanks KayJones, you are not far from me at all. In fact, I'm in Pensacola FL at the beach right now

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America