Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: "pinching tomatoe and pepper flowers" but eggplant/pole bean

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9580163

So, I "pinched" my small cherry tom (indeterminate sweet 100) and cubanelle pepper flowers. They were very small under 1ft. and the other thread on pinching tom and pepper reminded me of this... The tom is growing and now a bit taller and flowering, the cubanelle not so much.

-Will ichiban japanese eggplant benefit also from pinching? (I recall I only got about 3-4 eggplants last time and did not pinch)
-What about my 1st attempt at pole beans, these are flowering at a low height?

Thanks

This message was edited Jul 7, 2013 8:11 AM
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9589870

Any have experience or advice on this with ichiban eggplant and pole beans?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9590029

I'm not sure about what question you are asking about the pole beans. Do you want to pinch them. I never have and the do just fine. If they out grow their supports they'll just work their way back down. If you are concerned about them flowering small or young. What variety do you have. There are half runner beans that vine but don't grow that high.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2013 2:56 PM
physeek
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9590287

Doug9345,
I was wondering if people "pinch" ichiban eggplant or pole beans, like they do tom and pepper plants?
They were labeled just pole beans, so I don't know the particular type.
If you don't pinch them that's good enough for me. I don't want to really miss out on any stringbeans etc.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2013
11:51 PM

Post #9590984

I've never heard of pinching beans and I've never had to pinch eggplant flowers. Generally tomatoes and peppers will flower when they are still in nursery pots or shortly after they are planted, before they have had time to grow a good root system. I've never had that happen with Eggplant. In fact, the first flowers on my Eggplant usually fall off by themselves. So it's not how big the plant is but how long it's been in the ground and even that is a judgement call. I don't think you need to miss any string beans. Lol
danderlion
Austin, TX

July 12, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9597032

I have two ichiban plants this year. Planted the same time, with the same size. The first one fruited early, when the plant was one foot tall. I left it there. The fruit got big, but the plant did not. That ichiban is still almost one foot tall, and trying to fruit again. The other is three feet tall and has four fruit. It didn't start fruiting until it was twice the size of the first. The lesson is clear. Don't let a small ichiban fruit.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9604694

Pole Beans; I'm growing Thai Purple Podded Yard Long Bean for the first time this year. They outgrew their 8' trellis and were starting on my neighbor's fence. Some of the extra long vines I guided back down the trellis, but they reached the top again pretty quickly. So I started clipping off the top. And they started putting out shoots much closer to the bottom - like a foot off the ground. This was perfect for me, since all the growth seemed centered on the top. On my second planting, as an experiment, I started pinching the growing tip at about 4' tall. This did produce a lot more side shoots. I don't know if pinching would work with regular green pole beans, but it sure works great with the Thai Purple Podded Yard Long Bean. Try pinching one or two plants & see what they do,
Jo-Ann

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9606138

Fertilzer guys, if u use MG tomAto fert use a full lid on each plant at least 1x a month, and water in if you expect to keep it growing. no need to pinch ple beans, they are designed to fruit short and just keep growing, but they need fert n heat also- sun is good for EP n other veggies.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9611140

Jo how long did it take your beans to start producing? I'm thinking of starting some yard longs but it maybe too late. The spring was so long and cool I had a hard time getting everything planted/sown. I may just sow some more pole beans and wait until next yr for the long beans.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9611476

1lisac, sorry it took so long answer - I've been away for a few days.

I did my first planting of the Thai Purple Podded Yard Long Beans early & they took forever to produce - like 6-8 weeks. I did a second planting less than a month ago, and they're just starting to produce. I think they like the warmer weather better than the springtime temps. The ones I planted in the spring are also still producing like crazy.

I don't know how much hot weather you have left, but if you've got about 8-10 weeks of over 85 degrees, I'd say do for it!
Jo-Ann

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America