Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: i jus learned my strawberries wont produce much the first

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thumbofgreen
Madera Acres, CA

June 30, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9580342

i jus learned my strawberries wont produce much the first year.Will I get a decent amount or very little?
thumbofgreen
Madera Acres, CA

June 30, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9580691

Anyone
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9581723

What kind are you trying to grow. Day neutral or June berries.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9583073

All fruiting plants, tree's ect are not going to give a crop worth bothering about the first year in fact most strawberry plants are best replanted (NEW PLANTS) every 4 years, year 1, plants settle and put out nice root system, year 2-3 send out lots of flower which turn into fruits / berries, years 4-5 the plants are exhausted and the berries are not as flavoursome, smaller and the plants become weaker.
UP to year 23 you remove the small plantlett's and destroy or stick into the soil to root and replant these into a separate bed, first make the soil well prepared by adding as much humus as possible like horse manures well rotted, by making a trench a spade deep, add about 4-6 inches horse manure, fill back the soil removed from the trench and add this by making a mound, plant your strawberries on the top of the mound, this will help light, moisture as you water into the trenched soil and also it allows you to pack straw along the rows, lift up the flowering plants and stick the straw under the plants, it keeps water off the plants, stops them rotting on the soil, helps the sun to ripen the raised fruits and generally helps when weeding not to how/ rake or lift the growing roots of the plants.harvesting is easier too.
Happy strawberry eating ha, ha, ha.
Best Regards. WeeNel.
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9583835

I grow 3 day neutrals. seascape Albion and Monterrey. I get 3 crops out of them every year. I buy bare root plants. I plant them late April and done picking by late September. All runners are picked off. when I'm done for the season I pull out all plants and plant new ones next spring. I grow them hydroponically in the hydrostackers.
thumbofgreen
Madera Acres, CA

July 2, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9583897

thanks alot WeeNel...& everyone..I am growing both junebearing &everbearing.my question now would be (winter)? Do i jus leave em to be or cover them or..how do we survive the rain?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 3, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9585333

I would think in your area you could leave them in / alone over winter, IF there was a sudden drop in temp, you can buy horticultural fleece, it, very cheep and light as a feather so you wont damage the plants with this, it's bought either in packs certain size or by the yard, it allows heat, water, and air into the plants all it does if protect against frost, insects or wind burn.
Maybe someone from your area will come in and give you better advice than myself as I HAVE to use the fleece a lot over winter / early spring due to cold climate here in UK.
Hope this helps you out a bit and you have a bountiful juicey pickings before long.
Kindest Regards. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America